Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Open Letter to Brian Drendt..Mile High..Take a page from Huggins and Scott

When an item doesn't get any bids for 30 minutes..end the darn thing...Keep the items open that still are getting bids..this keeping the "entire" auction open thing is real tiring especially if you have to work the next day...

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all about the almighty dollar...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Yep....get the money!! I have awake at 4 AM East Coast time to see an auction like that still going on!
  • Options
    I have no problem with them keeping items open that are still getting bids..but if the item you bid on hasnt been bid on for 30 minutes after the auction goes into extended bidding its clear that the item has reached its peak for the most part.
    According to the auction rules ONLY people who bid on that particular item previous to the auction going into extended bidding can rebid on that item..so if no bids come in after 30 minutes its pretty clear thats it for that item..
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    My guess is that they are hoping that an item may get another bid from an underbidder hours later as long as the auction is kept alive by other auctions getting bids...it's just a way to maximize the highest potential return..I've just go to sleep and hopefully wake up as a winner, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't mind all the lots staying open, and I can defintely respect your opinon on the situation. However, all the lots being open actually works better for me. At auctions, I typically have a set overall amount that I can afford to spend, and there is usually a lot more lots that interest me, then it's possible for me to buy. Typically, I'll pursue one main item, and I'll have to let the rest go because I can't afford to buy them all. Sometimes though, if the main item gets too high for me at the very end and I'm outbid, I'd love to have the opportunity to go back and snag one or more of the lower priced items that I had my eyes on. That way, I won't leave the auction empty handed.

Mastro's lost several potential bids from me their last few auctions because each lot closed individually and they ended before I finally got outbid on a much larger priced lot. Had they been open when I got outbid, I would have immediately went and placed bids on them. I couldn't afford to win the other lots first, in case I did get my prized lot later.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Man, $300 (not including juice) for a GAI 9 1979 rack pack with an OC Smith on front...glad I saved mine!

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    thenavarro I think she means overtime, if you hadn't already bid on the item then you couldn't bid on it no matter what. She is talking about just the overtime portion not the entire auction. I tend to agree that in OT the card is done after no action for 30 minutes to an hour.

If they change the policy to anyone could bid in OT then I would see maybe their point as items reach levels collectors can't swing, they might look at other lots.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>When an item doesn't get any bids for 30 minutes..end the darn thing...Keep the items open that still are getting bids..this keeping the "entire" auction open thing is real tiring especially if you have to work the next day... >>

I hear ya sister image

I agree with alot of what's been said. I put in low bids early on to track an item so if another item goes beyond my limit after hours i can go back to something else I might not have been able to afford if I won the first item.

I usually try not to have bids in on cards more than one level above the current bid, for obvious reasons.

I actually ended up not winning anything tonight, the 57 topps Don Chandler got away from me in OT, and all the 35 chicles went for big money. What recession?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Actually, an auction like that favors the WEST COAST buyers...us East Coast buyers always get robbed in the wee hours of the morning while we are alseep....
  • Options
    It favors the seller/consignor as Mike said, as a bidder/buyer I much prefer that the lots end seperate. While I lose some and come away empty, I feel I get better deals on the ones I do win.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    This was the first auction that I bid on something. I did not win anything. It sure seems that the prices are a LOT higher than what the same cards would fetch on ebay. Is that true or just my imagination?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    The the east coast bidder lose out in the end.. While I do not like the "whole auction" stays open, I do understand the points before if you have bid on a few items, and the "high" price item gets too high, you can then move to other items. As a Bidder, I wish the auction would close at one time, that is why they have the "MAX BID" feature. put in what you want, and then move on... I don't have time to keep looking every time to up a bid if I want the item..

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Just another one of the reasons why auction houses will never get my bidness.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    My auction bidding from auction houses has always been "set it and forget it" since sometimes the bid increments can push you over the end. So I could care less when they end, but I'd like to know what I've won!
  • Options

<< <i>The the east coast bidder lose out in the end.. While I do not like the "whole auction" stays open, I do understand the points before if you have bid on a few items, and the "high" price item gets too high, you can then move to other items. As a Bidder, I wish the auction would close at one time, that is why they have the "MAX BID" feature. put in what you want, and then move on... I don't have time to keep looking every time to up a bid if I want the item.. >>

"max bid" lets just say I am very uncomfortable using that particular feature.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    After 30 minutes auction is ended. NO sir. The 3 hour time diference is a killer for us on the east coast. I was after one item primarily...and for 4 hours after auction ended.... nothing. then a bidder took top spot. Meanwhile I kept trying to stay awake and refreshing my computer every 15 minutes to verify auction was still going. Then in another hour..another bidder entered. after 5 + hours in extended time I entered my bid. Mr. publius has the right auction system....bid early to mark everything and never put in a maximum. It invites fraudulant bids After a long night and not winning...I feel I should have spent the night out on a bigfoot expedition.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention this kind of system screams shill bidding. It doesn't take much imagination to envision a few late night phone calls on the Left Coast to burn up the circuits, and all of a sudden a new bid appears at the last second.

It really amazes me that the desire to own certain items trumps the obvious flaws with these companies. They are totally unregulated which makes them, oh never mind.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I'm uncomfortable with the $18 shipping they're charging on a $600 card I won Wed eve. Time to give Brian a call and knock that down a little.

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    save this message and it apply to memory lane next week.
  • Options
    I'm uncomfortable with the $18 shipping they're charging on a $600 card I won Wed eve. Time to give Brian a call and knock that down a little.

maybe he'll knock it down to $17...

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>After 30 minutes auction is ended. NO sir. The 3 hour time diference is a killer for us on the east coast. I was after one item primarily...and for 4 hours after auction ended.... nothing. then a bidder took top spot. Meanwhile I kept trying to stay awake and refreshing my computer every 15 minutes to verify auction was still going. Then in another hour..another bidder entered. after 5 + hours in extended time I entered my bid. Mr. publius has the right auction system....bid early to mark everything and never put in a maximum. It invites fraudulant bids After a long night and not winning...I feel I should have spent the night out on a bigfoot expedition. >>

Jay, same here. I had the high bid on one lot for over 6 hours, then suddenly at 3:30am another bidder sets their alarm clock and bids me up.

The new Legacy auction might have a little better plan in place. They have a 30 min. rule for each lot if I'm understanding their fine print correctly. If a single lot has a bid and there are no other bidders within 30 min., then that lot closes and goes to the high bidder. Even though the rest of the auction could conceivably run for another 8 hours. That seems reasonable, although I would like it to be a 15 min. rule. You can't have everything.

Their juice is 20% though. Ouch!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It really amazes me that the desire to own certain items trumps the obvious flaws with these companies. They are totally unregulated which makes them, oh never mind.

Agree with Ron.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The the east coast bidder lose out in the end.. While I do not like the "whole auction" stays open, I do understand the points before if you have bid on a few items, and the "high" price item gets too high, you can then move to other items. As a Bidder, I wish the auction would close at one time, that is why they have the "MAX BID" feature. put in what you want, and then move on... I don't have time to keep looking every time to up a bid if I want the item.. >>

"max bid" lets just say I am very uncomfortable using that particular feature. >>

I am not saying I am comfortable with the max bid either, but I need to get sleep, so I am forced to use it.. I have noticed more than one how my max bid got bid up to the max...
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    The auction rules are stated up front as so as a buyer or seller, you agree to them when you participate...so why do you guys complain so much...if you dont like the rules ...dont play/bid.....if you where a seller and not a bidder wouldnt you want the auction to stay "open" as late as possible?
    Scott