Home Precious Metals
Options

Received my first Foreign Silver Today....My Review On It

Well, in the last month I bought a nice blue felt presentation case for coins that has three trays and holds 50 coins very neatly.

I was going to begin a collection of raw modern commemorative proofs (mostly) and pick just the designs I like.
Well, after adding a few SAE proofs I had laying around and my 2 Dolly Madison Commems from '99, I decided I really
loved the designs on some of the foreign '09 silver bullion. So I took the plunge and did something I've never done before-
I purchased several of the 2009 designs and some airtights to add to my display case.

Here's a few pics and thoughts. Sorry for the poor quality, I just took them very quickly because I didn't want to get flamed
for not including pics image

1. I really liked the look of this blue felt presentation case, so I decided to pick it up. It has 2 trays of 18 coins and the bottom holds 14 for
a grand total of 50. Can't wait to fill it up now!

2. The Chinese Panda

3. The Australian Kookaburra

I also purchased an Australian Lunar Series Year of the Ox and Australian Koala.

What I found most impressive about all 4 of these pieces of bullion was the quality and the finish.
Not one of them had any "frost breaks" that seem common with American Silver Eagle Proofs.
Also, they were all called "Uncirculated" but the finishes are just flat out impressive IMO!
Very proof-like and well designed. I've opened the case a number of times already just to twist it
under the light and stare in amazement. They are so frosty and the mirrors are incredible!

I've always loved silver eagles, but I definitely found a few new series to start collecting when it comes
to silver bullion. I recommend picking up a few of these designs to anyone who is like me and hasn't
ventured into the global bullion market yet.

Successful BST transactions:
commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
-------------------------

Comments

• Options
    They are very nice and some have Very low mintage relative to the ASE. Very nice case you have there.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    I started a similar collection in 2008 and have continued it for 2009, be careful its an addiction, once you pick up the standard pieces such as the maples and libertads you will find yourself trying to fill those holes with obscure 1 oz coins such as the kangaroo, new zealand kiwi or somali elephants. I def. got to get one of those presentation cases thought, very cool!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick yourself up a Mexican Libertad with the modern design. Finest looking piece of silver bullion I've seen.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set up, that will make a very beautiful presentation when it's full.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>Pick yourself up a Mexican Libertad with the modern design. Finest looking piece of silver bullion I've seen. >>

I do plan on adding an '09 Libertad and Canadian Maple Leaf. I think I'll pass on the Brittania, not a big fan of that design.

After seeing these, I am convinced the US Mint should do the rotating eagle design on the SILVER bullion, not the platinum.
    The designs are far too beautiful to be relegated to a metal very few collect.

I also would like to see them utilize the "mixed finishes" that the Perth Mint and the Chinese Mint both use. These coins all appear
    UNC with Proof-like sections. Creates a well designed and very eye appealing coin.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the silver against the blue. Very image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do plan on adding an '09 Libertad and Canadian Maple Leaf. >>

Try the older Maple. There are three portrait designs of the Queen. A young one, middle aged and an old one. The young portrait is very nice, the other two look less than attractive IMO.