Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL looking to extend regular season

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
NFL looking to extend regular season
by Howard Balzer, Sports Xchange

Updated: March 25, 2009, 5:51 PM EST

DANA POINT, Calif. - The National Football League ended its annual meeting Wednesday with the major focal point being discussion about increasing the regular season to 17 or 18 games.

"We are looking at a variety of formats for restructuring," Commissioner Roger Goodell said at the conclusion of the meetings. "Our goal is to improve the quality of what we're doing."
That is as much about decreasing the number of preseason games, which Goodell acknowledged are not quality games, as adding to the regular season. The latter, of course, is a way "to grow the game," according to Goodell, as well as create additional revenue.

No vote occurred at this meeting, although Goodell said "camps are definitely forming" with those that favor 17 or 18 games. It's possible, although not definite, that a vote could come at the league's spring meeting in May.

A spokesperson for DeMaurice Smith said the new executive director of the NFL Players Association hopes there will be discussion with the players before a vote takes place.

Spokesperson George Atallah told Sports Business Daily, "He'd like the league and the owners to consider the players as equal business partners when making any decision, particularly when it comes to a decision like extending the season. Mr. Smith is confident that all parties can work collaboratively on this issue and all other items so that everyone involved can benefit ... the players' basic interests need to be considered. He's ready to be that voice."

Goodell said Monday and reiterated Wednesday that he plans to talk with the players and broadcast partners about the proposals.

The restructuring of the 20-game season also affects the entire year's schedule, from the scouting combine to the draft, OTAs and training camp as well as roster and practice-squad size. Scheduling would also be an issue. Currently, each NFL team plays six division games and eight games against a division from each conference. The remaining two games are against conference teams that finished at the same place in their divisions. For example, if the NFC East is matched up against the NFC North, the first-place team in the NFC East would be the first-place teams from the NFC South and NFC West.

An equitable way would have to be found for those extra one or two games.

Said Goodell, "Everything is being looked at."

The biggest issue for coaches will be preparing their players for the season with a shorter preseason.

Said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, "If you go to a two-game preseason schedule you've got to acknowledge that the development and evaluation of young players, specifically the quarterback under game circumstances will change. And at that position and others I don't think you know what you have until you have them under those circumstances. But if we go to a two-game preseason, the vast majority of that time will be spent preparing starters to play football. I think that is one of the question marks we will all have around the league in regards to that potential change."

For those that believe the injury factor would be significant, 49ers coach Mike Singletary said, "I don't think you're going to have any more than you have at any other time in the year. Those things don't concern me as much as really taking football to a place where, it's really too much. We have a great thing going right now. Whatever the league decides, as coaches we're going to be on board.

"It's such a great game. It's a good feeling when the season is over and they're still asking for more. And they can't wait until the season starts again. I just hope we can keep that in mind."

As Singletary said, most coaches figure they'll just find a way to accomplish what they have to knowing that there is a level playing field for everyone.

"We're all creatures of habit," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "We've had this system for so long — four preseason games and three weeks of camp. There are other ways of doing things. If it did change we'd be the first guys to adjust and adapt, and two years after that we'd be saying, 'Why haven't we been doing this forever?'

"Whatever way they choose to do it, we'll all adjust and get it done."

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heh-heh, Balzer
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a season ticket holder, it's fine by me. Right now, I'm forced to "eat" the tickets to 2 pre-season games as part of the 8-game regular season package. So, under a revised 18-game schedule, I'd still be paying for 10 games but only one would be a waste instead of two.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Said Goodell, "Everything is being looked at." >>>

Of course...but the first and foremost thing that will be "looked at" is can they make more money - everything else is secondary.

Frankly...I think it's just fine the way it is...it's evolved to a good point and tinkering with it I really don't think is a good idea at all.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I'm not thrilled with the idea, I wouldn't mind so much two more games that count at the beginning of the season but I don't like seeing
    the playoffs extended further into February. The problem is the calendar, the NFL does not want to be playing games that count
    on Labor Day weekend and they certainly don't want the season starting in late August when TV ratings would be lower. The NFL is also
    looking ahead to TV contract negotiations in a few years and a longer season will add to the bottom line for the networks and should help
    to at least maintain the current rights fees that the NFL gets.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a season ticket holder, it's fine by me. Right now, I'm forced to "eat" the tickets to 2 pre-season games as part of the 8-game regular season package. So, under a revised 18-game schedule, I'd still be paying for 10 games but only one would be a waste instead of two. >>

+1,000,000

<< <i>Said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, "If you go to a two-game preseason schedule you've got to acknowledge that the development and evaluation of young players, specifically the quarterback under game circumstances will change. And at that position and others I don't think you know what you have until you have them under those circumstances. But if we go to a two-game preseason, the vast majority of that time will be spent preparing starters to play football. I think that is one of the question marks we will all have around the league in regards to that potential change." >>

Oh freaking horse poop. Starters barely even get a sniff of playing time during the first two preseason games. A large majority of minutes (95%?) are devoted to development and evaluation of young players, so his whole point is moot. Additionally, ALL teams are in the same boat, so everyone has to adjust.

Dude gets a ring in his second year coaching all of the sudden he's all-knowing on how things roll?!? PFHT, please...

edited to add:

<< <i>but I don't like seeing
    the playoffs extended further into February. >>

I don't believe the season will be extended. It sounds like regular season games will start when the last 2 pre-season games would have been played. So it would be moved up rather than back. Additionally, they just signed an extension with DTV at $1B per year, for the next 4 years. So think TV ratings are the last thing on their mind, or at least until 2014.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt mind the Season extending right through February- Jan & Feb are the MOST boring months of the year.

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Can we beat..urrrrrr I mean play the eagles 3 times a year?

Sincerely,
    The Bucs
  • Options

<< <i>NFL looking to extend regular season

." >>

It should read, "NFL looking to extend regular season pain for Eagles fans".