Home Sports Talk
Options

Detroit Tigers under fire for home opener on Good Friday

DETROIT — The Detroit Tigers have upset some Roman Catholics who are unhappy that the club's home opener is scheduled during holy hours on Good Friday.

Traditional Christian belief says Jesus hung on the cross from noon to 3 p.m. on Good Friday.

All 30 American and National League teams play April 10, but the Tigers' 1:05 p.m. game against the Texas Rangers is the only one during holy hours.

"It's sort of an insult for Catholics," said Michael Ochab, a 47-year-old Tigers fan. He said he'll miss his first opener in 20 years this year to attend services at St. Florian Catholic Church in Hamtramck. "I'm still hoping the Tigers will change the time."

Tigers spokesman Ron Colangelo said Major League Baseball has a "monumental task" putting together a season's schedule. Detroit's climate makes a night game unrealistic this time of year, Colangelo told the Detroit Free Press.

"Fans have come to know that our home opener is always a day game," he said.

The Rev. Ed Vilkauskas of downtown Detroit's St. Mary's Catholic Church said the game at nearby Comerica Park will keep people from services.

"Nobody is saying baseball isn't big, but Good Friday is really big," Vilkauskas told The Detroit News. "It's 2,000 years old."

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Oh boy... I see this thread going nowhere real fast.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I always wonder, would we be better off, now and historically, if the concept of religion did not exist?

/s/ JackWESQ

Edit: Spelling.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a poor business decision in my opinion...with a 162 game schedule, or for any reason, there's no point in aggravating any fans like this - I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets rescheduled and it likely will be rescheduled.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    What a sham, Catholics should be able to see the Tigers start of a triple digit loss season just as much as anyone else!
  • Options
    im sure Jesus is turning over in his grave.

oh wait!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>im sure Jesus is turning over in his grave.

oh wait! >>

I am going to hell for laughing out loud at that!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I always wonder, would we be better off, now and historically, if the concept of religion did not exist?

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Hmmm . . . and interesting thought that would really throw a monkey wrench into so many of the creationist arguments, wars, political agendas, genocides and other atrocities that have happened in the past few millennia. But then again . . .
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Jesus hung on the cross from noon to 3 p.m. on Good Friday, couldn't Catholics do something like take into consideration the several hours difference between here and the Middle East time zones?
  • Options

<< <i>If Jesus hung on the cross from noon to 3 p.m. on Good Friday, couldn't Catholics do something like take into consideration the several hours difference between here and the Middle East time zones? >>

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    You can't please all religions so better to just play the game. If someone wants to sit in church, or whatever, then that's their business... just make sure you remember to bring your transistor radio with earpiece so you can hear the game!
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Yawn, stupid f**ks
  • Options

<< <i>If Jesus hung on the cross from noon to 3 p.m. on Good Friday, couldn't Catholics do something like take into consideration the several hours difference between here and the Middle East time zones? >>

Perhaps in 2 or 3 hundred years they might. How long did it take them to apologize to Galileo?