Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Curt Schilling a Hall of Famer? Poll

KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
So there is a lot of speculation on whether or not Schilling has the credentials to get in.

Lets take a vote.

Comments

• Options
    I voted yes based on his Post Season numbers and what he did for my Sox in '04.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Forget the postseason for a second...

The guy had a 4.4 to 1 Strikeout to walk ratio with 3300 strikeouts.

His ERA was a full run lower than the league average for his entire career (in the heart of the steroid era)

His W/L record is better than other comparable HOFers (Catfish Hunter etc) but the two reasons above make him an easy HOFer.

Add that to the crazy good numbers in the postseason - including an NLCS and a WS MVP plus 3 WS titles, he's in - put it down. Not first ballot, but he won't wait 10 years either.

Oh, and look at that K/BB ratio again with the knowledge that current statisticians all agree that getting out hitters at the plate is by far the best measure for a pitcher because a batted ball has as good a chance at being a hit as being an out. Only getting guys out at the plate and not walking people can assure you of being a good pitcher.
  • Options
    vito you make several good points. also he played for a craptacular Phillies team for many, many years.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    First ballot? I'd say no. Ever? I'd say definitely yes.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    He'll be elected within his first 8 years of eligibility.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since lawnmowerman voted Yes, I automatically voted No
  • Options

13 years later, and we finally know the answer...

The world has gone mad, and voters no longer base their votes for candidates off of their on field accomplishments.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He might have made it in this year had he not asked to be taken off the ballot.

It's interesting that if he is ever voted in by the Vet committee that he would go in as a Diamondback.

I despise him as a person but would have voted him into the HOF.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote yes. No doubt.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

He should be in.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES!

By not electing Curt Schilling to the Hall of Fame, the BBWAA has proven their utter disregard for their role in the process, and have clearly shown that they are completly unworthy of their job.

Steve

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

YES!!!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    YES!

By not electing Curt Schilling to the Hall of Fame, the BBWAA has proven their utter disregard for their role in the process, and have clearly shown that they are completly unworthy of their job.

Steve

He literally told them not to vote for him.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@SDSportsFan said:
    YES!

Steve

What about the previous nine years?

Steve

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@SDSportsFan said:
    YES!

Steve

And told the BB HOF to take his name off the ballot, too. To quote an old saying, "You gotta watch out what you ask for - you might actually get it". From a baseball point of view, I think it's a minor tragedy that he didn't get inducted, I would've voted him in on the first ballot. From a personal point of view, I don't give a rat's ass about him being inducted. I've said it before, you have to go back to Pete Rose to find a player who's done so much to shoot himself in the foot in his HOF candidacy.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes of course.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@SDSportsFan said:
    YES!

Steve

Honestly I can't blame him one bit. The dude was very much the Mr. October of pitching yet he's been kept out of the HOF only because of stupid politics...which shouldn't have anything to do whatsoever with a player' HOF worthiness. I don't care if he's a card carrying member of Communist Party USA or the John Birch Society (if these groups are even still around anymore).

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a disgrace that Curt Schilling isn't in the Hall of Fame, a disgrace!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 4:24PM

All this Curt Schilling HOF controversy kinda confused me a bit. I didn't know anything about the man except that he was a baseball player. So.....I did what any curious person would do...WIKIPEDIA!.....WHOA!.....he is one BAD HOMBRE!...... Baseball accomplishments aside, he definitely needs to get his head screwed on right!........if there was ever a poster boy for "CRIMETHINK" it's him!......THEN!!!........I got to thinking......is O.J.Simpson in the football HOF?????.....SO.....back to Wikipedia I went.....and lo and behold!..... Why, YES!....O.J. is in the football HOF!!!.....and why not?.......after all he was an on the field Buffalo Bills Legend...........🤔

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Shilling should be in the HOF (not a 1st ballot HOFer with no Cy Young awards and only a few dominant seasons) but is another one of those folks that talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Cries repeatedly about all the "takers" out there and then takes $75 million from the government in loan guarantees, blows it all on his failed company, and files for bankruptcy leaving taxpayers on the hook for millions of dollars. He personally cost Joe Public more than any person he has every complained about.

Robb

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Yes without a doubt. Surprised he's not in by now?

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

@fergie23 said:
    Shilling should be in the HOF (not a 1st ballot HOFer with no Cy Young awards and only a few dominant seasons) but is another one of those folks that talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Cries repeatedly about all the "takers" out there and then takes $75 million from the government in loan guarantees, blows it all on his failed company, and files for bankruptcy leaving taxpayers on the hook for millions of dollars. He personally cost Joe Public more than any person he has every complained about.

Robb

Agreed about his stiffing the taxpayers of Rhode Island.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    All this Curt Schilling HOF controversy kinda confused me a bit. I didn't know anything about the man except that he was a baseball player. So.....I did what any curious person would do...WIKIPEDIA!.....WHOA!.....he is one BAD HOMBRE!...... Baseball accomplishments aside, he definitely needs to get his head screwed on right!........if there was ever a poster boy for "CRIMETHINK" it's him!......THEN!!!........I got to thinking......is O.J.Simpson in the football HOF?????.....SO.....back to Wikipedia I went.....and lo and behold!..... Why, YES!....O.J. is in the football HOF!!!.....and why not?.......after all he was an on the field Buffalo Bills Legend...........🤔

Simpson was elected to the HOF years before his name became infamous. As far as I know, baseball is the only one of the big four to have integrity written into it's consideration for the HOF.

@hydrant what do you mean by "crimethink"?

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    All this Curt Schilling HOF controversy kinda confused me a bit. I didn't know anything about the man except that he was a baseball player. So.....I did what any curious person would do...WIKIPEDIA!.....WHOA!.....he is one BAD HOMBRE!...... Baseball accomplishments aside...

Baseball accomplishments are what count! NOT his political views!! As for OJ he was in the HOF over a decade before his infamous 1994 murders (c'mon everyone knows he did it)...and I don't think you can undo a HOF inductee. And that's probably for the best because that would make for a VERY slippery slope we can seriously do without.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2022 7:19PM

@Estil said:

@Hydrant said:
    All this Curt Schilling HOF controversy kinda confused me a bit. I didn't know anything about the man except that he was a baseball player. So.....I did what any curious person would do...WIKIPEDIA!.....WHOA!.....he is one BAD HOMBRE!...... Baseball accomplishments aside...

Baseball accomplishments are what count! NOT his political views!! As for OJ he was in the HOF over a decade before his infamous 1994 murders (c'mon everyone knows he did it)...and I don't think you can undo a HOF inductee. And that's probably for the best because that would make for a VERY slippery slope we can seriously do without.

Estil,....I WAS JOKING!!!!!...... SATIRE!.....I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!...see below.....

• Options

• Options
    edited February 27, 2022 4:34AM

@Estil said:
    ...and I don't think you can undo a HOF inductee. And that's probably for the best because that would make for a VERY slippery slope we can seriously do without.

Alan Eagleson was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1989. Then, in 1998, he was convicted of fraud and embezzlement, and imprisoned. He had abused his position for many years by defrauding his clients (including Bobby Orr), and taking money from tournaments. He resigned from the Hall of Fame once it was clear that he would be removed otherwise; 19 HOF players, including Orr, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau, had threatened to resign from the Hall if he was not removed. He was also removed as a member of the Order of Canada.

Steve

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

Opinions that promote hate bc someone is different from him, well deserved to not get into the HOF.....................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

No

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

Opinions that promote hate bc someone is different from him, well deserved to not get into the HOF.....................

I'd probably still have voted for him for HOF had I been a writer, but I admit that I'd be holding my nose while I voted.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

Only if you dont believe in free speech.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Free speech is one thing, blatant racism and xenophobia is another. But in this day and age, some folks think both is acceptable. How sad.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@coolstanley said:

Free speech is one thing, blatant racism and xenophobia is another. But in this day and age, some folks think both is acceptable. How sad.

Just like the meme states, you dont agree with his opinions. Thanks for making his point.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

The HOF and its voters are under no obligation to grant any amount of free speech to anyone when considering their candidacy.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2022 4:57AM

Schilling can blame Schilling.... he probably would have gotten in this past year had he not lashed out from not getting in the year before.....trying a new approach is something folks can learn from...whatever bullheaded qualities athletes need to possess to be successful Curt has it... stat wise I think he is a HOF... not in the top 30-40 % but a middle of the road HOF'er. I enjoyed his mound performances growing up ~ a guy you want up there in the biggest games.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

The HOF and its voters are under no obligation to grant any amount of free speech to anyone when considering their candidacy.

What does this mean? lol

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

What does this mean? lol

Freedom of speech and the like are irrelevant when it comes to the HOF. If the HOF and its voters want to punish somebody for stuff they say, they can.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

What does this mean? lol

Freedom of speech and the like are irrelevant when it comes to the HOF. If the HOF and its voters want to punish somebody for stuff they say, they can.

Of course. Happens in every HOF I'm sure. Its all politics.

Ignore list -Basebal21