Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

China - 50 yuan 1988, help - real or fake?

Just making my semi-annual post. ;-)

Bought this from a dealer awhile back, and he said I can bring it back if its a fake - I know there are a few china experts on here, does this look good? Also had my collection of pandas on the scanner for one of the shots for size comparison. (and to show off my pandas)

50 yuan 1988
------------

My Blog
---------------------------------
90% lurker, 10% poster, 100% American!

Comments

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I'm no Chinese coin expert but the quality says real to me. Also while China tends to look the other way in regard to collectable coin counterfeiting they come down hard on anyone counterfeiting current Chinese legal tender.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    thanks JoesMaName - any other experts out there today?
    ------------

My Blog
  • Options
    looked at the page asutodd posted on china fakes, looks ok according to that - has the yuan symbol.

anyone have one of these that they know is real to compare to?
    ------------

My Blog
  • Options
  • Options
    The 50 Yuan coin is actually a fake. The number '5' is the wrong shape and the biggest giveaway but also the quality of the dragons too.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I'm going to agree that it is fake... All the 1988 50 Yuans I have looked at have the same sized 5 as the 0... Yours have a 5 that is WAY larger than the 0... Should weigh 155.5000 grams, Kruase Y#122.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Must be one of them cheap American counterfeits the Chinese are always biitching about image

I'd have bought it... odd that such a well-made fake would have such an obvious flaw...
    Maybe it's a rare variety?!?
    Nah...

Edit: After flipping back and forth between the two a few times, the execution of the real one is noticeably better.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    thanks guys, looks like its going back.
    ------------

My Blog