Home Precious Metals
Options

Markings on scrap jewelry???

Can someone tell me what " 1/40 12K" along with "gold filled" means?
I came accross these while getting ready to send some sterling silver and scrap jewlery to a refiner.
It would be nice to know what I'm sending, or if it should be sent.
Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Wikipedia...

Gold-filled jewelry is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass.
    By definition, the minimum layer of karat gold in an item stamped GF must equal at least 1/20 the weight of the total item. 1/20 12kt GF is the most common stamp you will find on gold-filled jewelry.

1/40th 12k means that about 2.25% of that piece of gold jewelry is 12k gold, which is itself only 41.7% pure. If my math is right, and I'm not positive, that means that particular piece is a little less than 1% pure gold. In other words, it's virtually worthless for its gold content.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    How bout 14kF? I have a bezel with that on it.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    ..... How bout 14kF? I have a bezel with that on it.....

The "F" is for filled. There is a slight difference between filled and plated.

Filled is a specefic amount or quality, as Weiss states above. Plated can be any thickness.

As for valueing any one object, it is all virtually worthless.

Some refiners will take Filled IF you have Lbs. of it.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll pull those parts out.
    These old gold watches have to be pulled apart and pieces seperated further. It looks like the housing is the only part worth refining. I'm guessing the front piece which holds the crystal along with the face plate should be tossed since they have no markings at all. There isn't very much 12 or 14K in them, but what there is will be worth sending in with the rest.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..............that piece of gold jewelry is 12k gold, which is itself only 41.7% pure. >>

Since 24K is 100% pure gold, 12K would be 50% pure.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. An obvious error if I'd put any thought into it! What I quoted was the % for 10K, not 12k.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>How bout 14kF? I have a bezel with that on it. >>

It could also be 14KP with part of the P missing. I have seen this before where the stamp is not applied with enough force or there has been metal wear or repair(sizing etc.) 14KP means plumb or a minimum of 14K, not 13.5K rounded up to 14K.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How bout 14kF? I have a bezel with that on it. >>

It could also be 14KP with part of the P missing. I have seen this before where the stamp is not applied with enough force or there has been metal wear or repair(sizing etc.) 14KP means plumb or a minimum of 14K, not 13.5K rounded up to 14K. >>

It could also be 14K Filled which implies plated.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The simple answer is that GF has ZERO value, unless you have a HUGE quantity of it.

Even then, not much gold there. A few hundred pounds MIGHT be worth the refining fees.

I too often see 14KF - sometimes 18KF - that actually is "plumb gold."

The markings should read 14KP or 18KP.

As noted, the stamp could have been made off-center, weakly; or, the
    item could have been well-worn, or a sizing-event could have changed
    the P into an F.

When in doubt, simply test.

I buy nothing that I do not test, in any event.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    If you give it the acid test (Nitric Acid), make sure you cut the test area with a small file to break through any gold plating prior to applying the acid or you may get false results.