Home Sports Talk
Options

O/U on the price for this guy's Bowman Chrome RC when it comes out.

BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
The real Syd Finch . Prospectors are going to go nuckin' futs for this guy's cards when they come out. It has to get the Topps execs. giddy just thinking about the pre-sales.

Comments

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive at only 20 yrs. old.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's really impressive is his control.
    Nolan Ryan was wild until what, about age 40?
    Randy Johnson struggled his first few years in the Majors with walking too many hitters.
    Hope he stays healthy, he will be fun to watch.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the link there's a video of the kid, and in my opinion, his pitching motion can be improved on to perhaps get even better velocity, so how scary is that?

Yes he will be fun to watch but he's a long way from Cooperstown, especially with pitchers - We'll see what happens.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I hope his cards hold their value as well those of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Scott Bora$$ + overused arm = trainwreck waiting to happen
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>I hope his cards hold their value as well those of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. >>

Pitchers in general are a terrible 'investment' from a card collecting standpoint, and it still amazes me that the market hasn't correct for this. If Randy Johnson cards carry basically no premium, then what will? The only two pitchers that get any hobby attention are Maddux and Ryan (and, in fairness, Clemens before his legal entanglements). But if you're scooping up RC's hoping that a guy has a better career than Mussina, Schilling, or any number of the other front line pitchers who have no hobby following you're fighting an uphill battle.

A little OT, but I think the thing that's dooming the speculatory dimension of the hobby is the fact that there's no outlet for people who think a player will be a bust. If you think a guy's a future HOFer then your move is simple-- just go on Ebay and buy up his RC's. But if you think he's going to bust out there's no market for you, because you can't short baseball cards. If Topps and UD wanted to improve sales, and bring more money into the hobby, they should set up some kind of exchange where collectors/speculators/hobbyists could short sell baseball cards. The way it's set up right now the dumbest guy on the block sets the price, and no market can sustain so long as that's the model.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott Bora$$ + overused arm = trainwreck waiting to happen >>

Scott Boras is a fantastic agent. If I was a 1 in a million talent he'd be the first guy I'd call. So far as I can see no MLB agent gets more money for his clients than he does.
  • Options
    Boras gets the most for his players. Can not debate that. Don't have to like him but he knows his biz.
  • Options

<< <i>

Scott Boras is a fantastic agent. If I was a 1 in a million talent he'd be the first guy I'd call. So far as I can see no MLB agent gets more money for his clients than he does. >>

From a player's short sighted perspective, you are absolutely correct.

From any other (ie owner, ad agency, etc) perspective, you couldn't pay me to deal with his clients, regardless of potential.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Scott Boras is a fantastic agent. If I was a 1 in a million talent he'd be the first guy I'd call. So far as I can see no MLB agent gets more money for his clients than he does. >>

From a player's short sighted perspective, you are absolutely correct.

From any other (ie owner, ad agency, etc) perspective, you couldn't pay me to deal with his clients, regardless of potential. >>

When you're going to be on the backside of your career by the age of 40 being shortsighted is a very, very good thing.

I never have understood the backlash against Boras. If you think he's asking for too much, then don't pay it. It comes down to that. Players hire him because they want to max out, so if you have a complaint with anyone it should be with the player who is is representing.
  • Options

<< <i>When you're going to be on the backside of your career by the age of 40 being shortsighted is a very, very good thing. >>

That depends on what you anticipate doing in your post-playing career. However, if you make out like A-Roid, doesn't really matter what you do since his great-grandchildren are pretty much set for life.

<< <i>I never have understood the backlash against Boras. If you think he's asking for too much, then don't pay it. It comes down to that. Players hire him because they want to max out, so if you have a complaint with anyone it should be with the player who is is representing. >>

I think it's a matter of perspective. If your team is in a bidding war, your attitude of Bora$$ changes, regardless if you won or not. It's either (a) we could have better spent the time and signed player X or (b) our Owner will only spend $X on payroll and too much money is allocated on one player.

But you're right, in the end, an agent is only an extension of the player. However, it's not a coincedence that a majority of Bora$$' clients are percieved as selfish aholes and a team's so-called "cancer".
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Looks like Upper Deck has already jumped on board:

imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Boras usually gets the most money for his clients, but not always. Just ask Jason Varitek. He cost Varitek something like $5 million this year when he advised him not to accept arbitration.

I think some of his antics might cause his players to lose other sources of revenue as well. It's harder to quantify but I think the shenanigans that have gone on (at Boras's apparent prodding) have cost players like A-Rod and Manny some of their endorsement appeal. Of course, A-Rod injecting himself with steroids didn'd help his cause but the most recent contract negotiations they had with the Yankees and upstaging the World Series by announcing a deal really didn't do anything to add to A-Rod's appeal as a product.
  • Options

<< <i>But you're right, in the end, an agent is only an extension of the player. However, it's not a coincedence that a majority of Bora$$' clients are percieved as selfish aholes and a team's so-called "cancer". >>

I think that's a misconception. List of Boras clients . There are some jerk-asses on this list, but it's hard to believe that the guys on this list are, as a whole, all that much more 'cancerous' than those on any other agent's list.

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Holy ________!

Cards are already going for $100+ on eBay!

eBay Auction # 1

eBay Auction # 2
  • Options
    Heh. It'd be kinda funny if he decides to join the Peace Corp instead of play pro baseball. image

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It'd be kinda funny if he decides to join the Peace Corp instead of play pro baseball. >>

In a word, that would be awesome. But then Boras would probably file suit for breach of contract claiming that Strasburg's failure to follow through on his agreement to pursue professional baseball damaged him to the tune of millions of dollars.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. By the way, the Upper Deck USA card numbered 11/25 pictured above sold here for $536.00! Wow.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    wow!!

his offspeed is devestating, i would like to see him in the college world series
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The real Syd Finch . Prospectors are going to go nuckin' futs for this guy's cards when they come out. It has to get the Topps execs. giddy just thinking about the pre-sales. >>

ZILCH...ill buy 5 years after he makes the HOF for cheap...IF....he makes the HOF....
  • Options
    Caution is always warranted. Look at the three guys used in the article as comparisons who threw harder...Zumaya, M. Anderson, and Mark Wohlers.
  • Options
    When was the last time a pitcher got this kind of hype before throwing a pitch on a pro team and actually delivered the goods?