Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP HOFer GEORGE KELL

MLB HOFer George Kell has died. I had the opportunity to meet him once at a show and he was nice.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I just sent out a couple cards for him to sign yesterday morning.

-Dan

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I twice wrote him over the years and twice he responded by signing everything and never asking for anything in return. From everything I've heard, Kell was a really good guy that was well liked around baseball. A class act that will be surely missed.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is sad news, not that he was the best anouncer, but loved watching him and Kaline on the local t.v. channel doing the Tigers games. RIP!!
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    so many deaths lately. rip
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    SAD news. I met him 2 years ago, and he was hands down the nicest, friendliest athlete I have ever met.

RIP.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>so many deaths lately. rip >>

We just lost Bill Davidson in this area too. My wife works for the company that he owned and got to see and talk to him a few times when he was in the office in the past. He would come into work for a few hours everyday until not that long ago. Very hands on person with what was going on.
  • Options
    Rest in Peace Mr. Kell. He was always a gracious signer over the years. I am always amazed looking at his stats and his hits vs. k's, simply amazing hitter.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    RIP

great tiger, great signer

he'll be missed
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Met him at a show. Truly nice guy...

R.I.P

• Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    In my opinion, he was the greatest announcer in Michigan sports history.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Great guy! Met him a few times; had dinner with him once. RIP George!

George Kell Tribute

PoppaJ image
  • Options

<< <i>Rest in Peace Mr. Kell. He was always a gracious signer over the years. I am always amazed looking at his stats and his hits vs. k's, simply amazing hitter. >>

That is crazy, never struck out more that 37 times in a season and had a lot of years under 20 strikeouts!!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion, he was the greatest announcer in Michigan sports history. >>

That is not an exaggeration. It looks like the Good Lord "is gonna WAVE 'EM IN!!!".
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    RIP

HOFer always
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion, he was the greatest announcer in Michigan sports history. >>

I grew up listening to Kell & Kaline and loved 'em. Hearing Kaline mangle names (my favorite: instead of "Alvaro Espinoza", Al said "Alvaretto Espinazzo") was always fun.

I can't say Kell was the greatest in Michigan sports history - I'd go with Dave Strader there instead - but I enjoyed Kell. I've always heard great things about him personally and he will truly be missed. Most definitely, a Michigan icon.

Tabe
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    There's definitely room in this thread for Mr. Ernie Harwell.
  • Options

<< <i>

That is not an exaggeration. It looks like the Good Lord "is gonna WAVE 'EM IN!!!". >>

I forgot about that one, classic. I think my two favorites were, "...and there goes Ronald!" when LeFlore used to steal a base, and of course "Look out, Al!" when a foul ball was hit back to the booth. A great player and vastly underappreciated as a broadcaster.

#10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That is not an exaggeration. It looks like the Good Lord "is gonna WAVE 'EM IN!!!". >>

I forgot about that one, classic. I think my two favorites were, "...and there goes Ronald!" when LeFlore used to steal a base, and of course "Look out, Al!" when a foul ball was hit back to the booth. A great player and vastly underappreciated as a broadcaster. >>

I was coaching my son's 7 year old coach pitch team during the summer and a kid hit a screaming foul ball (as 7 year old screamers go). I let loose with a "LOOOOOK OUT AL!", purely to amuse myself of course, and a coach on the other team started laughing. At least he knew what I was talking about. If you had the pleasure of tuning in to George and Al back in the days of 3 channels and Saturday televised games (and maybe a weeknight series from Texas), you will never forget it. Everything was so much simpler then . . .
  • Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    George Kell was Tiger Baseball to me. I grew up watching his TV broadcasts and will always remember his excitement when a clutch base hit was provided by one of my favorite Tiger players.

"Base Hit" he would call out loud and proud!!!

RIP Mr. Kell you are missed.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    RIP MR. KELL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.