Home Metal Detecting
Options

Little OT. Question about a couple of bottles I own. NOW WITH PICS.

Hi. I love checking out the metal detecting side and reading the stories. I found 3 bottles about 12-15 feet down in the ground next to an old rail road track. I worked for a construction company when I found them. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever seen or heard of them? I talked to a guy a few years back who said they should sell between $800 and $1,000. I will post some pics soon. The bottles say

Indian Rock Ginger Ale
Parlett & Parlett Co. Inc.
Annapolis MD

They are all 7 fluid ozs.
and the bottoms say AGW 249

Someone in the past told me that the AGW stands for American Glass Company. Is that right and if so what is the 249?

Two are clear glass and the other is green colored. Is one more rare than the other?

All are the same size and look like bowling pins. I found alot of broken ones but didn't keep them. Now I wish I did.

I would also like to know when the bottles were being made and if the company even exists anymore.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide
image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image

Comments

• Options
    Well, I did a little research, and came across a website with part of your description "S.C.A., at the shoulder is embossed; "Indian Rock Ginger Ale" (in script), center slugplate is embossed; "Richmond, Pepsi:Cola Co (in script), Richmond, Va.", at base reads "7 fluid ozs.", bottom reads "A G W 249".".

Looks like you might have old Pepsi bottles on your hands.

The description above is for the bottle to the far right of the picture.
    If your bottle isn't a pepsi bottle (which I think you would have stated), check out This website for more information. I just glanced at it briefly and it stated a lot of old bottles could have been used for multiple things, even though they have the same numbers on the bottom, etc. Hopefully this helped a little bit.

As for what the "AGW" stands for I ran across this information:

A.G.W.................in some cases, American Glass Works, Pittsburgh, PA (1866-1905). This company, which was officially known as "American Glass Works, Limited" after 1880, MAY have produced some glass marked "A.G.W." during the time period of 1866-1880, although I am not aware of any definitive proof that they did. American Glass Works reportedly manufactured mostly window glass prior to 1880. After 1880, the mark was most frequently "A.G.W.L.", although various bottles that date after 1880 (such as certain hutchinson sodas) do carry "A.G.W."(no L) so I tend to believe that both mark variants were used, at times, during the 1880-1905 period. (See next two entries).
    A.G.W.................American Glass Works, Richmond, VA (1908-1925) and Paden City, WV (1918-c.1935). Bottles (especially crown-closure soda bottles) of the teens and 1920s from the VA and surrounding area with "A.G.W." marked on the base are virtually certain to be products of this company (not to be confused with the earlier American Glass Works of Pittsburgh, an unrelated company). Machine-made bottles date after 1916 (Toulouse 1971:23). The Richmond plant burned in 1925 and was not rebuilt. This company also reportedly used an "A in a circle" mark on some bottles. In any case, that mark was primarily used by the Armstrong Cork Company from 1938 to 1969.
    A.G.W.L...............American Glass Works, Limited, Pittsburgh, PA (1880-1905). Advertisements exist which show this company produced a large line of Hutchinson type soda bottles, as well as many other bottles including beers and mineral waters. The mark "A.G.W.L." which appears on the heel of many Hutchinsons can be definitely attributed to this company. Please see the above two entries on "A.G.W.".

Link To All The AGW Info

Well, hopefully this gave you some useful information. From what I see you have a bottle at least dated between 1866 to 1905, now its just a matter of pinpointing what it was used for image
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    pics would be useful. Show the bottom and a closeup of the embossing. I can go from there for values.

-Dan
  • Options
    I will work on pics today. Thanks for all of that info. I never knew that pepsi had bottles just like it. The three pepsi bottles look just like them. Do you know how much one of those pepsi bottles run?
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options

Sorry if some are not clear. The bottom pic shows how the one is a green bottle and the other 2 clear. Hope this helps.
  • Options

<< <i>I will work on pics today. Thanks for all of that info. I never knew that pepsi had bottles just like it. The three pepsi bottles look just like them. Do you know how much one of those pepsi bottles run? >>

Well, I wouldn't know about any value of the bottles. I would wait and see what Dan would have to say about the bottles.
  • Options
    Man those are cool bottle's.never seen one's with that shape.
    Demodigger might be able to help out as well as he his a big
    bottle digger.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I'm into bottles, but they look cool. image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I forgot I posted over here. I could find no info on these particular bottles, but the going rate for these bowling pin types are in the $200-$400 range. Most are the Indian Rock brand, but most

also say Coca Cola or Pepsi. Yours could be a rarity. If I were you I would post over here Bottle forums.

They have a couple of guys from the Maryland area who could probably tell you how to price them. I have been a member there for longer than I have been here. They are a knowledgeable group

and I am sure you can trust what they have to say. I would post these in the Sodas forum AND I would post it in the Digging and Finding forum. Either way You will definitely get some people buzzing

over them I am sure of it.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks again for your help I'll let everyone know what they say over there.