Home Sports Talk
Options

Mark's 2009 NFL Top 10 Picks Mock Draft

Here is my mock at the top ten 2009 NFL Draft Picks. The big winners in the draft, by draft position rather then team need, is the Chiefs and the Raiders.

1. Lions pick Georgia QB Matt Stafford. Don't think anyone will agrue the need there. Plus rumor has it they have already stared contract talks.

2. Rams pick Baylor OT Jason Smith.

3. Chiefs pick Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry.

4. Seahawks pick Boston College DT B.J.Raji.
'
5. Browns pick Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree.

6. Bengals pick Texas DE/OLB Brian Orakpo

7. Raiders pick Virginia OT Eugene Monroe

8. Panthers pick Missouri WR Jeremy Maclin

9. Packers pick Penn State OLB Aaron Maybin.

10. 49ers pick Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    The Jerry kid from Ole Miss must've had some pretty impressive workouts.

The first mock draft I saw shortly after the Super Bowl had him going to the Colts at, what? 28?

Now you're guessing Top 10. That's really improving your stock.

The Lions still need so much help at a lot of positions. I hope they don't ruin Stafford. I think I'd trade that pick for even more picks. As awful as 0-16, they were actually in several games, and I thought played better than the Rams, Bengals, Raiders, etc. at times. A couple offensive lineman, another DE with a pass rush, a good, shut down corner..........Getting a few guys like that would seem to improve their chances more than one quarterback, no?
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    LOL, I see you're falling into the trap many of the media do. In this post, you say Stafford because of contract talks. In the other, Smith for the same reason. Detroit will likely have contract talks with all of their possible picks. That means nothing. They do it for multiple reasons. But it also serves as a nice smoke screen. They wont likely do anything to show their hand until they actually draft a player with or trade this pick. They don't want to eliminate any interest in the pick in case a team is somehow willing to trade for it. They want all of the teams to think "they may draft the guy we need".
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>LOL, I see you're falling into the trap many of the media do. In this post, you say Stafford because of contract talks. In the other, Smith for the same reason. Detroit will likely have contract talks with all of their possible picks. That means nothing. They do it for multiple reasons. But it also serves as a nice smoke screen. They wont likely do anything to show their hand until they actually draft a player with or trade this pick. They don't want to eliminate any interest in the pick in case a team is somehow willing to trade for it. They want all of the teams to think "they may draft the guy we need". >>

As a Chiefs fan I am more concerned with the #3 pick. The Lions have met with Smith and Stafford several times, and will likely pick one of them. It does appear they are in contract talk with both players right now, which should not sound strange or unusual. I do more see them going for Stafford, which appears more appeasing to the fans, so I guess I could have wrote more above....but I didn't exactly write a bio on everyone. Since Elway, all teams have been very cautious at throwing away the first draft pick. You can be sure that whoever they pick, the contract will be mostly worked out ahead of time.

Why don't you make your picks and we can compare after draft day?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Yes, they've met with both of them and also had Curry in here a week or two ago. I supect they've had a few others in as well, but these guys are the most likely to be drafted 1-2-3. I'm not really sure that Detroit would draft Smith with the 1 pick, as this draft is considered deep at the position and the Lions also have the 20th pick, where they could likely land one of the others available. I'm a firm believer that Detroit wants out of the first pick, thus they're trying to show interest in everybody they can in the hopes someone will give up enough to move up. I like Curry, nut not sure if they are as interested since they recently picked up Peterson. Guess it depends on the defense they intend to run, but they're even keeping those reports mixed until after the draft. Stafford would be an okay pick if they're really high on him, but I'd prefer Curry or a trade down. If Detroit doesn't take Cuury or trade the pick, I think he'll be there for KC at #3.

With Detroit, it really depends on what they think they can expect from Culpepper or Stanton. Culpepper is said to have shown up in much better shape. They also acquired the coach he worked with in Minny when he was having his big years, so I'm not sure they're dead set on Stafford. They may feel Culpepper is servicable for a few years. This team needs everything though, but the defense is what really, really needs to be addressed. And with the new coach being a defensive guy, Curry still may be the pick.

As for posting my own picks, I never really mess with that. I appreciate those that do, cause they're always fun to read and speculate. But I haven't really invested the time into figuring out what other teams may likely need. I just know the Lions need everything and have the first pick, so the world will be their oyster... for one day anyways image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>or trade this pick. >>

Not going to happen. No one wants to give up picks and/or players only to get popped with #1 money.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    IF the Chiefs can not get Curry or Jason Smith.....I think they may go Raji or possibly Monroe. A Monroe pick at 3rd would really mess up everyone's pick. Crabtree might be a good Chiefs pick as well as Bowe didn't really seem to be the man last season...of course, having a different QB every quarter can do that.

Either way....looks good for KC.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>or trade this pick. >>

Not going to happen. No one wants to give up picks and/or players only to get popped with #1 money. >>

Yup, that's what most believe. I don't disagree that it's going to be nearly impossible, unless Detroit can get Dallas to bite again image

As for contract talks, they reported today on the radio that these talks include Curry as well. At #1 for the money, Stafford seems to make the most sense considering the depth with the lineman. I just don't have a clue and don't care to speculate what this team is considering. Hopefully Schwartz is given majority control in this decision. If the Fords stick their nose in, it's all downhill...
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Since the draft will be here in a few days, I thought that I would revive this thread and submit my best guess as to how the 2009 draft will pan out:

1. DET - Matthew Stafford QB
    2. STL - Jason Smith OT
    3. KC - Eugene Monroe OT
    4. SEA - Aaron Curry LB
    5. CLE - Michael Crabtree WR
    6. CIN - Aaron Smith OT
    7. OAK - Jeremy Maclin WR
    8. JAC - Malcolm Jenkins CB
    9. GB - Brian Orakpo DE
    10. SF - Michael Oher OT
    11. BUF - Aaron Maybin DE
    12. DEN - Everette Brown DE
    13. WAS - Mark Sanchez QB
    14. NO - Knowshon Moreno RB
    15. HOU - B. J. Raji DT
    16. SD - Eben Britton OT
    17. NYJ - Josh Freeman QB
    18. DEN - Brian Cushing LB
    19. TB - Tyson Jackson DE/DT
    20. DET - Rey Maualuga LB
    21. PHI - Brandon Pettigrew TE
    22. MIN - Percy Harvin WR
    23. NE - James Laurinaitis LB
    24. ATL - Peria Jerry DT
    25. MIA - Vontae Davis CB
    26. BAL - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
    27. IND - Kenny Britt WR
    28. BUF - Max Unger C/G
    29. NYG - Hakeem Nicks WR
    30. TEN - Darius Butler CB
    31. ARI - Chris Wells RB
    32. PIT - Larry English DE

I think that B.J. Raji falls (like Warren Sapp did when he came out ) due to his positive test for pot. I originally thought that Aaron Smith would drop down the board due to his recent behavior, but talented OT's are a rare item.

I don't see how Mark Sanchez will go to the Seahawks at #4 like many on TV have been saying - if he makes it past the 49ers at #10, there will be a few teams trying to trade up to get him. If no trades happen, Dan Snyder will not miss out on getting his franchise QB this time.

How do your Mock Drafts look?
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If Sanchez is available at 10 I would say the Niners take him. Maybe Niner fan, JackW, can tell us if this is right or not!?
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see how Mark Sanchez will go to the Seahawks at #4 like many on TV have been saying - if he makes it past the 49ers at #10, there will be a few teams trying to trade up to get him. If no trades happen, Dan Snyder will not miss out on getting his franchise QB this time. >>

I hope Sanchez gets taken earlier and we (the Redskins) don't trade up to get him. The rumors about Sanchez have been swirling all around the DC area, and personally I'd rather see Jason Campbell get another shot, or even Colt Brennen (our 3rd string QB) for that matter. The Redskins have much bigger needs than a new QB right now (OL, LB, DE, WR). If we can just pick up a starting offensive lineman and a semi- decent linebacker in the draft that should fill the holes enough to keep us a contender. It's Campell's last year of his contract and the first year he'll actually be able to play in the same offensive scheme for two years in a row. It's hard to tell just how good or bad Campbell really is at this point. But even if he's not the great franchise QB we've been looking for, I think he's good enough to win most of the games ... IF we can protect him a little better and give him some decent targets to throw too. We really, really need one of our rookie wide receivers to step up this year.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    That kid Michael Oher is already a subject of a book and a future movie based on that book. Another "feel good" football movie coming soon.

Michael Oher
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    What is the deal with Sanchez? Look at what Leinart was supposed to do and he was 10 times better than Mark. USC QB's are NOT worth it.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>What is the deal with Sanchez? Look at what Leinart was supposed to do and he was 10 times better than Mark. USC QB's are NOT worth it. >>

Just another intelligent response. Since Leinart has yet to have a breakout season, Sanchez will suck too just because he went to the same school.