Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Territories quarter mintage

Looks like 2009 will be a low mintage for each quarter design

Especailly when 1 more design will be added to the years lineup.

on the US mints web site says that the mintage so far is
DC quarters are 88.8m for Denver and 83.6m for Phil
Puerto Rico will be 86m for Denver and 53m for Phil

US Mint Link

No wonder why my bank has never received any yet

Snowman

Comments

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few casual collectors that I know have not even heard of the additional coins....I think that most people who are not in the collecting loop assume that the series ended with Hawaii..

K
    ANA LM
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The series did end with Hawaii. The DC and Territories is a new series.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have received a single DC quarter (Denver) in change so far. I haven't seen anything else.
  • <<A few casual collectors that I know have not even heard of the additional coins....I think that most people who are not in the collecting loop assume that the series ended with Hawaii..>>

PLUS the casual collectors tell me they are NO longer interested. Their coin boards are full with no more room. They are tired of looking after 10 years.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Even as a non-casual collector, I gave up on completing business strike p/d sets. It's dozens of coins every year now. It's too much.
  • <<Even as a non-casual collector, I gave up on completing business strike p/d sets. It's dozens of coins every year now. It's too much.>>

On second thought, that holds true for me. I am making no effort to get both mints on the presidential dollars. It does not help that I need optical aid to see the mintmarks there.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>The series did end with Hawaii. The DC and Territories is a new series. >>

Some say they are part of the state quarters series some say they aren't; all I know is I had a subscription to the state quarter program with the mint and they didn't send me the territories quarters as part of my subscription I had to order them separate. So obviously the mint doesn't consider them part of the state quarter series.

• << <i>The series did end with Hawaii. The DC and Territories is a new series. >>

image. The Mint website has both the 50 State Quarters and DC & Territories seperated in the navigation and states "During 2009 the United States Mint will issue a new quarter approximately every 9 weeks. Each quarter’s reverse will celebrate the District of Columbia or a United States Territory with a design honoring its unique history, traditions, and symbols. Learn more about the D.C. & U.S. Territories Quarters Program by visiting our Coins and Medals pages."
  • I just noticed that this particular thread has not yet mentioned that the quarter distribution system is broke. See the front page of the March 23 Coin World. According to them, banks can not order a particular quarter. They predict these quarters will show up mixed with other quarters. New cents and Native American dollars fall in a similiar catagory.

However the DC quarter has shown up in Massachusetts in pure rolls.
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    My father is on his way to the bank for me to pick up a box of Philly DC quarters, plus 10 extra rolls. image

-Paul
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just noticed that this particular thread has not yet mentioned that the quarter distribution system is broke. See the front page of the March 23 Coin World. According to them, banks can not order a particular quarter. They predict these quarters will show up mixed with other quarters. New cents and Native American dollars fall in a similiar catagory.

However the DC quarter has shown up in Massachusetts in pure rolls. >>

Most new coins are just put in large hoppers with whatever happens to
    already be in the hopper which is probably circulated coins since quarters
    have the lowest replacement rate in the economy. Generally new mintages
    are about 5% of the total number in circulation with 3% going to replace
    lost coin and 2% for growth in usage.

At the current time there is a large net flow of quarters back to the FED
    so there will be very few new coins going into circulation. If the counting
    houses won't empty their hoppers before adding the new coins then much
    of a new bag will be mixed with circulated coin or other new quarters up
    to about three years old.

Many areas of the country appear not to be ordering new coin at all so these
    will have to wander in on circulation. Low mintage coins might never get to
    the other side of the country if they get taken up by collectors before they
    get there.

In a random walk it takes about 9 years now days (probably) to get well
    distributed across the country. But collectors can interfere with coins. Re-
    member back in the '50's and '60's collectors removed all the low mintage
    coins from circulation. This might happen again especially if mintages keep
    decreasing. They'll probably concentrate on getting these coins to the areas
    being honored and otherwise they'll be released only where there is a net
    demand for coins.

If the economic problems persist they might even ship circulated coins to areas
    that need them and make coins only for mint sets and numismatic sales.
    Tempus fugit.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Update: Went to my bank today and they had rolls of PR AND D.C. quarters--"D"s. But it does seem like banks that want them can certainly get them.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭
    I received a DC Quarter P yesterday in change but no double die like in the D.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file