Home U.S. Coin Forum

I might get black listed for admitting this - but I drilled holes in a few dozen large cents today

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I ran out of oversized washers for a garage I am building and was too lazy to get in the truck and drive to the hardware store. Plus they are 35 cents each. I had a bag of british large cents laying around so onto the drill press they went. Worked out good. Plus they only cost me about 10 cents each.

Comments

• pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    So long as they were British and not American... "they'll" probably let you get away with it.

Very innovative of you!
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    you have the best looking washers in town.
  • Smart.

And they were darkside, so it really doesn't matter image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Wow good use of thoseimage
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy people have found many uses through the years for these round things we call coins.
    You just proved you are one of those handy guys.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    .S. large cents were used as washers in the earlier years. I have met roofers who have found them when stripping roofs
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    finally a use for them afterall
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    WTF were you thinking?

Just kidding, someone has to blast you for it, right? lol
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    As I was installing them I thought about how some future owner of my property may stumble upon them.
  • Hey... maybe you can get a green sticker on that garage...image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • I wonder what everyone's response would have been if you had used these instead?

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    It would be where is your garage?

Were they red on the inside?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Jeeesh, remind me to never send you any british large cents! image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Modern quarters are much tougher material...or nickels if you didn't need a bid washer...--jerry
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    What were the dates on those British large pennies? There are some that are worth a few hundred $.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Guess we'll have to start calling you "MacGyver" image

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If you want quality building materials... imagetry Royalty™ products. Cheaper than American steel and guaranteed not to rust."

~ the preceding was paid advertisement~
  • MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    EH no one cares about british coins anyways...
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a few hundred years, a coin collector will find these coins and will curse you for what you did.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Why are we are calling English coppers cents and US cents pennies anyhoo ????? image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

• What you did not factor in was your time in making them, the cost of the electricity, and the fact that you broke the law.

The part I can not believe is you are sharing this info on the world wide web............ image
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Time was factored in - that is why I did it. I would of had to get in my truck drive 30 minutes round trip to the store. Took me about 5 minutes on the press. Electricity use was offset by me saving $2 worth of gas. Illegal? I live in the US - they are british coins. Better than using resources to make new ones in china and then having them shipped overseas to the US
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What you did not factor in was your time in making them, the cost of the electricity, and the fact that you broke the law. >>

What law did he break?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• <<What law did he break?>>

It is very doubtful any law was broken. I think the coins are completely demonetized in Britain now and they use them for washers. I think the USA is not concerned with what you do with foreign coins.

What are the washers in contact with? Mil specs do not alow dissimiliar metals in contact. If you have steel bolts, they may rust away.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey... maybe you can get a green sticker on that garage...image >>

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well thanks for nothing....here I am thinking that my small hoard of English coppers would be worth something someday but now I find out that they are worth, well less than common washers! Still I do not think I could drill holes in them anyway even if I did save a couple bucks.

K
    ANA LM
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tydye said:
    I ran out of oversized washers for a garage I am building and was too lazy to get in the truck and drive to the hardware store. Plus they are 35 cents each. I had a bag of british large cents laying around so onto the drill press they went. Worked out good. Plus they only cost me about 10 cents each.

you still alive and kickin' out there?

also, commoncents' avatar is REALLY neat.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@ProofArtworkonCircs said:
    What are the washers in contact with? Mil specs do not alow dissimiliar metals in contact. If you have steel bolts, they may rust away.

A lot of people do not know about this. Glad you brought this up.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they pass Building Permit inspection?

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean kind of like this?

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

you still alive and kickin' out there?

Last Active April 29, 2021 8:17AM

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji