Home Metal Detecting
Options

civil war buckle

Got out again today. Found a civil war buckle. This is my best find to date. Does anyone know how
to clean it or buff it to get it back to a shiny brass?

Comments

• Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Oh, thats very very nice! Great find. As for cleaning it, I have no idea. If it were mine i would just wing it I guess. So, don't do that LOL

Purple
  • Options
    awesome...i too went out today and found about a dozen angled pieces of metal.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Dav cool findimage Don't shine it up,just give a nice soap and
    bath rinse with a light brush,like a toothbrush.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments guys. It's probably better just to leave it as is. This was one item on my want list,
    never would have imagined I'd find one here in MN.
    Dave
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    That is a very cool find. WTG image
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Dave;

B4 you attempt to clean it.... check out it's approx value Here
  • Options
    Thanks BBQ, I think its best to leave it as it is. I'm sure it would go down in value if I tried cleaning it up.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where abouts in MN? I used to live in Detroit Lakes and then in Pipestone.
  • Options

<< <i>Where abouts in MN? I used to live in Detroit Lakes and then in Pipestone. >>

In Redwood Falls
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

If thats based on jealousy then thank you.
  • Options
    Excellent find!.......and You DO suck!.image
  • Options
    Oh, yes. A jealous "you suck", fer sure.

"You suck" is a compliment 'round these parts, and you REALLY suck for finding that! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Ever wonder why so many buckles are found ?

How is it that soilders lost their buckles and what kept their pants up w/o ?

Could it have still been attached to the fallen soilder & you didn't notice ? ewww

Wonder if that gash was made from a saber during battle ?

makes you think !
  • Options
    Not that many belt plates get found!

Some just fell off. I mean, not all of them were beltplates. Some were box plates, from the outside of cartridge boxes. If the box got banged into something and the hooks on it broke, it could have fallen off without being noticed.

Some would have probably been lost in a battlefield situation but others could have been discarded after the war, I suppose.

Here is something I can't remember too well, despite my brief experience as a CW reenactor; namely, whether those belts really served to hold one's pants up or not. I suspect not. After all, most men wore suspenders for that, and a lot of pants didn't have belt loops back then.

In addition to belt plates and box plates, there were also breast plates, which usually had an eagle on them, and which were worn over the chest on a cross-belt.

Edit to ask: what do the hooks (or remnants) on the back of this one look like?

• Options

<< <i>Edit to ask: what do the hooks (or remnants) on the back of this one look like? >>

From what I see it is two studs and a hook.
  • Options
    Looks like a buckle , very nice.Congrats image
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks store bought to me. there aint no union soldiers in reddwood fells, Minnesnowda.

Scott F
  • Options

<< <i>Looks store bought to me. there aint no union soldiers in reddwood fells, Minnesnowda.

Scott F >>

Thats quite incorrect Scott , Minnesota had plenty of troops at Gettsburg and a few battles of its own.This link was useful.

link

What makes it appear store bought to you Scott? Im very much a novice at IDing civil war relics and understand there are many replicas out there.

Davbec , can you tell us a little more please on finding it ? How deep was it , other curious finds in the area.Do not give us a precise location as its your site and should remain so.
  • Options

>>

Davbec , can you tell us a little more please on finding it ? How deep was it , other curious finds in the area.Do not give us a precise location as its your site and should remain so. >>

I've been detecting a camp that was occupied for about two months back in 1863. The location I found the buckle is a corn field which gets tilled up every year which brings new potential each year. The buckle was found about 6 inches down.
  • Options
    Makes sense to me , the marks on the buckle could easily have been from ploughing over the years,maybe..maybe not.
    Its the back of the buckle that would be the giveaway i think , ive seen quite a few that do not look like that one but i also
    found a picture which looks pretty much identical to yours.
    You really need a civil war expert to see it , one of those guys can tell more.Ill see if i can post that picture in a bit,looks like yours.
  • Options
    That dave guy doesn't know anything about detecting. His son does all the work. He just sits in his truck and drinks ice tea's while he makes his son dig, out in the hot sun and cold weather. I never saw such a thing.
  • Options
    Have you ever considered its a father letting his son enjoy the hobby ?I dont know anything about it other than a public forum is not the place for those kind of posts mate.
  • Options
    Ok, I guess the gig is up. LOL, I am Daves brother and just pulling his chain. Ive been detecting with him many times and he does very well finding good areas to hunt as long as he takes me with him again. He is a legit proffesional treasure hunter. SORRYYYYYYYY Dave!!!!!!
  • Options
    Cool image Glad to meet you both