Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The making of a sleeper modern Roosie?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
I read the latest issue of Coin World magazine (March 30) and they point out that the 2008-P/D Roosevelt Dime has the lowest mintages combined of any year since 1980 at a whopping 1.05 Billion dimes.

I have found it increasingly difficult to locate this year in dime rolls, and have noticed that bidders on eBay have been bidding a bit higher for this date when available on eBay. Back in Sept or so, bidders were shelling out north of $40 a roll just for the 2008-P's.

I find this very interesting.

Any thoughts...image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>2008-P/D Roosevelt Dime has the lowest mintages combined of any year since 1980 at a whopping 1.05 Billion dimes.

I find this very interesting.

Any thoughts? >>

First, I don't see how a coin with a very recent mintage in excess of 1,000,000,000 pieces could be considered a "sleeper modern (anything)".
    Sure, it's about/less than half the mintage of previous years, but that still doesn't make it rare.

I'm not that surprised that you aren't finding them in rolls yet, either. They've only been out in circulation for no more than 15 months, and I bet many are still tied up in rolls and bags.

I bet in 5 years you will be able to find this date with relative ease, compared to the 2013 dates you will be looking for by then.

I could see the Top Pop's being more "sleeper-ish" than other previous years of higher mintages, but still quality now is not the same (better/worse) than previous years.
    Therefore, a comparison of grades can't really be accurately made at this point in time, either.

These are just my thoughts on this issue.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too early. Coins can sit in storage for up to three years
    and if they get attention before this then most of those in
    storage will be saved and the coin will be common. This will
    probably happen to this dime if it's really tough now. It may
    well be tough now only because the economy is so weak
    that the new dimes are sitting in storage rather than getting
    into circulation. I've only seen two or three '08 dimes.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have a $250 box of P rolls
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I have 3 boxs of D's, no P's yet. image And I live on the East coast. image
    Dan
  • Options
    I would have to agree that something with a mintage of over a billion that is only one year old is not likely to be that big a collector's hot item any time soon. Even a mintage of a few million would trigger minimal demand at first. Out of a billion coins, if an MS70 find is one in a hundred thousand, that's still ten thousand coins theoretically out there, and several times over that in MS69. As for rolls and raw uncirculated coins to stick in Dansco albums, we're probably fine unless part of Obama's economic recovery involves the Great Copper/Nickel Clad Confiscation. Remember that the real keys and rarities tend to have populations less than 50,000 combined certified by PCGS and NGC. If they had mintages higher than one or two million, then somewhere along the way, something destroyed a lot of them, be it a government recall, catastrophic event, or the test of time.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check Ampex for the "investment potential" for dime rolls.

not much.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Stone. A billion of something made yesterday can't be rare. They are being stored somewhere for lack of need.

This brings up another question to me.................why do we need so many new coins each year? They last forever and nobody throws away money. So where do all these coins go???
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never said they were rare.

I mainly was trying to point out that back late last year while I was looking for 2008-P rolls, I could not find any. In 2007 I had a 20 coin submission back before the end of march, 07, but could not find them (2008) as of sept. 08. When I did locate some they were north of $40 a single roll which IMHO is unreal. I didn't get a chance to submit 2008's until the FUN show in Fl.

Coin world was pointing out that this is the lowest total since 1980.

Do you care about Roosies? About 3 people on this board really do and I am one of them. I would guess that all of this info, I would think that it is somewhat of a sleepr, but yes, it will take years of wondering and waiting.

The economy sux and they will probably make fewer coins.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    That does raise the question of: where are all these coins going? If maybe thirty billion is enough for circulation, then what's pulling so many coins out? Are they all getting tied up in jars and coin albums? If so, are they getting sequestered away at the rate of a billion a year--or at a rate in which the rate going out of circulation exceeds the amount coming in by a billion? Or, are some coins getting recalled and melted down? We don't hear about this happening these days, but it almost should be happening with at least nickels and pre-1982 pennies for their metal content.

These days, the half dollar is minted pretty much exclusively to go into mint and proof sets; they don't even bother releasing them into circulation. Their mintage numbers therefore can be used as a benchmark for demand for those sets, though not necessarily for collecting in general, since coins pulled from circulation are collected even more frequently.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

If you want more ammunition to support your theory, read the editorial in this weeks Coin World. They mention the 09 being the rarest business strike in years and to support the claim the author ties Roosevelt mintages to the economy. Interesting idea! There will still be thousands of them, but rare in comparison!
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I still think of the 2006-P as a rare/scarce coin. Of course you have to look through a couple dozen boxs to see why. Decent grades from 2006-P are the reason I say rare, not in quantity, but in quality/lack of that is.
    Remember the 1969/1970 Roosevelts. Not Rare, but dang sure rare in any decent grade.
    Dan
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Sleeper, try the 2009's! I heard from a coin distrubeter that rcvs the fed shipments of coin for our area that the FED wharehouses are full of bank returned coin and they are not going to mint many 2009's at all. The economy made everyone dig into the coin jars, these went back to the FED and they can easily meet demand with old coinage.