Home Precious Metals

How about a Platinum thread?

To go with the gold thread. I just recently picked up my first 2 pieces of Platinum and I like it. Picked up this 1/10 oz eagle for $135 the other day and this JM bar. Show me what I've been missing out on. I wish JM produced a 1 gram Palladium bar to match my silver, gold, Plat bars. image
Its all relative

Comments

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I bought my first Platinum eagle last fall. They sure are pretty coins in hand. I don't know anything about the metal. Are they as reactive to the environment as silver? I've heard they are not, but don't know if that's true. If so, it would be a nice feature to not have to worry about the darn things developing spots or toning over the years.

imageimage

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803

<< <i>IAre they as reactive to the environment as silver? I've heard they are not, but don't know if that's true. If so, it would be a nice feature to not have to worry about the darn things developing spots or toning over the years.

imageimage >>

Greg; Platinum is non-reactive to enviroment so you don't have to worry image Your image above is a Fantastic pic.... makes me wish I collected them.

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverses of the US platinum are great but I've never been a fan of the obverse. The face of the statue looks too manly IMO. I much prefer the platinum Maple Leaf. Here's the only one I own so far...

• image I purchased a bunch of different proof and unc 1/10 and 1/4 oz. along with two 2008 non w 1oz. pieces after Platinum crashed and burned to around $900. As with anything else I own I still don't have enough but since I'd never owned a Platinum coin before I thought i should jump on these while the price was below a grand.
    Of course I own over 200 ounces of Platinum's little brother Palladium at around $200 an oz. but missed out on the chance to sell last summer at close to $600 an oz.image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason why I could like platinum is that it is far less likely to ever be confiscated vs. gold. Maybe one day there will be a new Twilight Zone episode where a gang of crooks steals $100 MILL in platinum and then get placed into deep freeze to wake up in 100 yrs......only to find out that their platinum has become worthless due to technology changes (lol).

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • PlatinumDuckPlatinumDuck Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• very interesting canadian pieces. i haven't seen those designs before.
  • I have a deep sellers remorse for that 2008 W Proof Set I sold for about 2X Mint Price.

Its the first time I have ever experienced this emotion from any of the thousands of coins I have ever bought and then sold.