Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question on a Canadian 5 cent variety

Does anyone on the forum know of a variety of the 1872-H 5 cent from Canada that has a large H over small H repunched mint mark? I can't seem to find out anything about it.
"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭
    Five cents are not my area of expertise, but I'm sure you can get an answer over on the CCRS forum - www.canadiancoin.com
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    No mention of it in Krause, Haxby's Coins of Canada or Charlton's Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins that I see.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bill,

Nothing that I've heard of before. Could it be shelf or mechanical doubling? Got a picture?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Here are the photos...not the best, but you can see the repunched mint mark in the third one.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Bill,
    That coin is an amazing one.

Have you thought about uploading some photos onto Numismaster & the Canadian Coin Collectors' Group?

Aidan.
  • Options
    Found this coin again while going through a box and thought I'd bump this thread on the chance that someone has information on this variety.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing in the 2010 edition of Charlton that has the silver 5c variety section.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    The size of the undepunched H doesn't seem to match up with any on a Canadian coin of that time. Was the Canadian Mint making coins for Great Britain or other countries in the 1870's?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    do at this point not think that this is a large H over a small H.
    what appears to be a large H is IMO much too large to be a large H as known from other coins.
    can you possibly do a more detailed close up? it would help.
    could it be a die problem?
    If it is LH/SH, there should be others i would think. I have 28 of these and None is like this.
    H
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    In looking for a listing of the variety on the internet, I came across an auction listing (I believe TOREX) that had a 1872-H over H variety 5 cent in MS-65 or 66...there was not a photo of the coin on the website that I was looking at, but maybe if I can find it again one of the forum members here might have a catalog of the sale.

While I can't currently get a better photo of the coin, it sure looks to me to be a larger mint mark over a smaller one. Perhaps getting a photo of a standard mint mark and overlaying it on the photo of the coin in question would give a better idea of what happened. The easiest would be for me to send it to one of the Canadian grading companies and ask them to make a judgement. Someone once sent a PM with the addresses of these graders, but I can't seem to find it - If a mamber could PM me with the info., I'd appreciate it.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    The 2011(8th) edition of "The Book of Canadian Coins and there Varieties by Pierre Charest has reference to the large h over small h variety. Interestingly enough they don't vlaue it at anything over the more common h. They say there will be a picture in later volumes. Perhaps the 2012 edition will have a picture.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No picture in the 2012 book either.
    However, pricing considerably higher
    hope this helps
    H

VG-8 VG-10 F-12 F-15 VF-20 VF-30 EF-40
    Normal H 10.00 14.00 15.00 19.50 25.00 46.75 65.00
    Large H / Small H 40.00 75.00 125.00 175.50 236.00 275.00 325.00

looks like I can not get it lined up properly. just copy and move the 10 under the VG8 and the 40 below the 10

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found this thread as I was looking for info on this variety.
    I purchased one of these 1872-H Large H/Small H half dimes recently, here are pics:

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.