Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2009 MPL POPULATION UPDATE REPORT

For the past couple of years at this time of the year I have reported certified population numbers for each of the nine matte proof Lincoln cents as shown on the online websites for PCGS, NGC and ANACS. As we all know only 15,314 of these coins were sold to collectors by the US Mint during the period of 1909 thru 1916. Of that total we now show a total of 4,923 of these coins reported as certified by PCGS, NGC and ANACS as of March 17, 2009. This is an increase of 131 coins certified from the 4,792 reported as of March 13, 2008.

I have created three Excell worksheets this year to report this information. I will be happy to send copies of these worksheets to everyone here who is interested in the details. Worksheet #1 is a summary comparison report which shows reported populations for each of the three third party graders for each of the nine dates as of April 14, 2004, March 29, 2007, March 13, 2008 and March 17, 2009. Worksheet #2 shows populations for 2009. This report is broken out by each of the nine dates and totals by each of the three TPG's. For each date the reported grade AND color designation (BN,RB & RD) the quantity certified is shown as well as the totals of ALL nine dates. Worksheet #3 is the same information for 2008. With this information you can determine changes in certified quantities for each TPG by grade and color designation in the past year.

If you want this data, please send me an EMAIL to sjcohen730@aol.com and I will email the three worksheets to you as attachments. I am not aware of an easy way to do this by PM.

A few general observations about the numbers this year. A total of net 5 additions of 1909VDB were added; 3 PCGS and 2 NGC. Only a net total of 3 additions of 1916 was added; 1 PCGS and 2 NGC. A net 4 additions of RED color designation was added for ALL dates. 5 PCGS and -1 NGC. It does not appear from the reported ANACS reports that ANY matte proof cents were graded by them this year.

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "A total of net 5 additions of 1909VDB were added; 3 PCGS and 2 NGC. Only a net total of 3 additions of 1916 was added; 1 PCGS and 2 NGC. A net 4 additions of RED color designation was added for ALL dates. 5 PCGS and -1 NGC. It does not appear from the reported ANACS reports that ANY matte proof cents were graded by them this year."

I guess not a lot of people wanna take the risk to crack them out to try for upgrades.
  • Options
    Steve-

Nice job - thank you.

EDIT: What's your analysis on these numbers?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve-

Nice job - thank you.

EDIT: What's your analysis on these numbers? >>

Duane and others,
    The latest data on MPL pops continue to support the fact that these coins have a limited supply. Only 131 were certified this past year compared to 162 last year and a three year average of 198 a year during 2004 to 2007. In other words less of these matte proofs are being certified each year even though values have gone up. It will be interesting to see if Kevin Flynn's new MPL book drives more interest in the series. Still no doubt in my mind that the 1909VDB is in a class by itself as far as scarcity is concerned. Also, the fact that only 3 1916's were graded this year confirms that that date is certainly #2 in scarcity.

I've sent out 6 of the worksheets to those who requested them. If anyone else wants the excel reports, send me an email to sjcohen730@aol.com.

Thanks,
    Steveimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and didnt the posse scare a few of those 16s from ebay to TPGs?

but, no 17s yet? image