Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel Error

What would you classify this error as, struck on a broken or split planchet or both?

Comments

• phehpheh Posts: 1,588
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a ragged clip.
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Very nice error! It's a ragged clip I believe, and a nice one at that!

-Paul
  • I picked it up at a coin show, but I thought a Clip still had to show some form of roundness?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a question for you...................could you get that effect if you froze a nickel with liquid nitrogen and smacked it with a hammer?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I would say other cracks and splitting would be evident because nitrogen would make the whole coin fragile. Also, the coin has original luster and I don't know if nitrogen would leave that intact either.

• << <i>It is a ragged clip. >>

A superb example of a ragged clip, may I add!
  • Ok heres a newb question. How would someone go about finding this? I mean, I don't think it would be put into circulation by the mint (for obvious reasons - could be wrong though). So does someone at the mint sweeping the floors just pick it up and pocket it hoping to score a premium or what? Could it be possible it was found in an original roll?
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    While the possibility exists that this coin was smuggled out of the mint, it is much more likely that it simply got into a mint bag of nickels and was found by someone who looked in that original bag.

-Paul
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Nickel mites!image
  • erroiderroid Posts: 795
    I don't think that it's a ragged clip, there's no Blakesley effect; it was split after strike. I DO like the piece.
    John G Bradley II
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>I don't think that it's a ragged clip, there's no Blakesley effect; it was split after strike. I DO like the piece. >>

Not all genuine clips have the Blaskesly effect.

Looks like a genuine ragged clip to me.
  • FreeFree Posts: 149 ✭✭
    I believe that nickels are also known to show the Blakesley effect much less (if at all) than other coins.
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Oned of the few pictures I've been able to see due to the military censorship over here...

The question I have is... is it grade-able? I think there might be an issue with this due to the damage to the edge between God and Trust.

The next question is... are the steps complete? They look pretty good, but without a closeup, unknown. But, there is bad news with it... even if it does have the steps, I haven't seen many recent Jeff errors receive the step designation from PCGS. I also wonder for obvious errors

Calling Fred... whereforeartthou Fred?

Steve

High Temp today in the Middle East... 111 in the shade.

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • "Not all genuine clips have the Blaskesly effect."

You're right, but this piece has NO metal flow, "anywhere".... The bottom of letters E P L should be stretched and out of porportion, they're not. Another criteria is that the rim points at the edges of the, so called clip, should be flat(flattened) due to having been raised by the upset mill, then flattened at strike; they're not, and that's why I believe it's "split after strike".
    John G Bradley II
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    erroid, it's possible the piece broke off shortly after the strike, or maybe even as a result of the strike, but the coin is still going to be described by most people (me included) as a ragged clip. There could be subtle metal flow along the edge of the clip that the pictures aren't showing; any metal flow that is there probably won't look like a curved clip anyway because of the unpredictability of the surface of the ragged edge.

FullstepJeffs - that is not damage on the rim you're seeing, it's more planchet roughness associated with the ragged clip. I don't see any reason at all why that coin wouldn't grade at PCGS or any other service.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • I'm not trying to "split hairs", just stating my reasoning for calling it split after strike; your conjecture of "split AT strike" could very well be true. As stated, it is a lovely piece and I also believe that it's gradable.
    John G Bradley II
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but it's not a clip.
  • It's definitely a ragged clip, better explained here.
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Also from the family of "incomplete planchets."
    Garrow
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FullstepJeffs - that is not damage on the rim you're seeing, it's more planchet roughness associated with the ragged clip. I don't see any reason at all why that coin wouldn't grade at PCGS or any other service.

Sean Reynolds >>

Cool... then congrats!

Thanks for the giveaway... count me in...

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

LOL exactly what I was thinking

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file