Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do coins from the 1700's carry a premium?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do US Federal coins struck in the 1700's sell for a premium over their early 1800's counterparts?

I have always thought so, but backing it up with fact is somewhat challenging. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    They do have a special allure, for sure. Check out the prices for low-end large cents from the early 1800s as compared from the 18th century. I'm sure you would get data to support that 18th century dated coins have a premium.
    Tom

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    According to the pcgs price guide no. image
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    To some folks maybe but most people who can afford those coins are aware of the relative scarcity of various dates and not wrapped up in the first two digits of the date. An obvious example is the 1799 Bust Dollar which is perhaps the most easily obtained early dollar from the 1795-1803 date series. 1799 seems to be the easiest type date for that series and actually sells at a discount to some of the tougher 1800-1803 dates. Anybody looking for a type coin in the draped bust dollar series will quickly find that the 1799 offers the most opportunities across a wide spectrum of grading ranges.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not...but I think coins from the 1700s have a coolness factor that you can't get with coins from the 1800s.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Obsolutely they do! Especially the lower grade stuff!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Slipgate. Low-end 17xx type coins have had a premium for many years.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    depends on the coin and the coin condition
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know with large eagle bust dollars the 1799 is considered the common date. You gotta love a series where the 1799 date is more common and cheaper than it's 1800 dated counterparts.image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought there was something magical about a US coin with a date starting with 17. Heck, it may have been carried and spent by George Washington!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I have no statistical data to back it up, my guess is YES!

I know that I would prefer a type coin dated before 1800 to one dated 1800 or later.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1799 dollar is common enough that it carries little, if any, premium over an 1800.
    However, with the 1799 and 1801 $10's being of similar rarity, the 1799 will always sell better because of the 17-- date.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    There's a special prestige in having a US coin from the 1700's...

I certainly think there's a premium.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe not...but I think coins from the 1700s have a coolness factor that you can't get with coins from the 1800s. >>

I agree.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am too busy at work now, but I plan to do a detail analysis ASAP, maybe later tonight.

The short answer is: "It depends" image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, but just to help us visualize the subject at hand, here's one of mine with the aforementioned low grade aura about it.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I like the 179X dates... to me all other factors equal, at least 10% better!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Would you rather have a $ minted when George Washington was President or a $ from the Thomas Jefferson years?
    Both are nice but isn't the cache of the Washington a bit more alluring?

Really, it always depends on the merits and eye appeal of the individual coin. I would not take a Washington dog over a Jeffersonian beauty.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    179X
    sweet!!!!

180X
    not bad!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and now that the decade has rolled, 181X are approaching or passing 200 years old...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have data to back it up but it does seem to be so. Certainly the fact that first year issues are highly sought after and the first years of federal coinage began in the 1700's would make me think that they experience greater interest. It just cool to have a coin with a 17 handle. I look forward to your analysis.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some collectors might be willing to pay a premium for Fr-AG-G material simply because it's struck in the 18th C... Type collectors, probably not so much if we're looking for better representatives of the issue.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like some of the stuff from the 1700's and glad there isint to much of a premium on them from what ive seen. jmo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file