Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT - eBay help needed

Edit - Well, it's happened again! I listed this almost 4 hours ago and it's still MIA. I've figured out that it will indeed show when linked to if I hack the "&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT" out of the link, but it still won't show in listings or search. To me this sort of thing is more frustrating than any other ebay silliness. It just seems so easily avoidable if they spent half as much time debugging their code as they do figuring out ways to screw up the redesigns. I've successfully listed several coins while waiting for this lot to show.

So, any other ideas on what this may be since I last asked? Anyone else experience this?

When I wrote Support about this last time they responded fairly quickly, but only once the issue somehow resolved itself. The response was along the lines of "what are you talking about? we don't screw up!". I didn't follow up since it was already fixed but this is annoying. They are charging for the service and I'm missing a good chunk of high traffic time thanks to this.

-----

This is an odd one that I haven't encountered yet. I listed two maps earlier this afternoon, about 8 hours ago, and while they've shown in my Active Selling area from the start they both still aren't showing live on eBay in my listings or sitewide search results.

I've tried ending and relisting one of them, that didn't work. Then I ended it and created the listing again from scratch, same problem. But I was able to successfully list a book just a few moments ago.

The funny thing is, I can click on view the listing from My eBay. I tried the Email a Friend link to myself and that link actually works (even from a different browser where I'm not logged in). But both of those links are formatted differently than the links you find on item listing pages.

What could be causing this?! Has this happened to any of you? Any ideas for a fix?

Here's the link I had emailed to myself. Let me know if it works for you.

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Link works OK for me. eBay plays games with listings based on Powerscrewer status and DSR's and overall feedback score. It will show up eventually.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    I have had problems with listings before where the images I chose to show up in search results did not match the images in my auction listing, and I also ended then relisted the auction, but it didn't change. I then sent ebay an email describing the problem, which they quickly admitted they could duplicate. It took about a half day for ebay to straighten it out, and that was after I notified them of my problem.

I agree that it will probably show up eventually, but I'd recommend that you notify them now of the problem just in case it doesn't show up later. If there truly is a problem, you would want them to work on correcting it now.

Your link worked for me, but when I clicked the link to the category and entered "Battle Route" as my search terms, nothing matched, so it still isn't showing up the way it should.
  • Options
    I agree - my post was too off the cuff. I just tried various searches using parts of your title - no joy.

Contact Customer Service.
    Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... I hate when computers get a mind of their own.

I was wondering if it may have been something related to me being relatively new with sales, some kind of probation, or ratings, etc. But I can't find any applicable clause that would trigger that?

The one thing that stands out was that when I began the first of the two I selected two categories to list in. Then it told me I had to restrict it to one category being a store item, so I did. All else in the process went fine and then I did Sell a similar item to start the next. I'm wondering if that hiccup with the two categories error could have tripped a bug in their code (and the auto-filled form on the second carried over the glitch)?

Guess it's time to write a letter...
  • Options

<< <i>Guess it's time to write a letter... >>

That would take a while. When I was selling more often, ebay gave me access to a real person through a phone call, and that was how I got my problem resolved. I don't have that privilege now, because I haven't sold $3,000 worth in tyhe previous three month period.

Can someone who has access to calling ebay directly report that when you put in very specific search terms for this auction, it does not show up in the search results, so that they can get on it now?

Just tell them the item number, so that they can see the actual listing, then tell them to do a search in that same category with the first two words of the listing title as the only key words. They will then clearly see and understand the problem. Otherwise, it'll likely be a while before he sees his listing show up.
  • Options
    I reran the searches and the item comes up in the store inventory listings.
    Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Yep. They magically appeared sometime overnight.

Another plus, I got a fairly quick response from Customer Service... guess it's easy to act quickly when the problem's already solved image

Thanks for the assist guys! image
  • Options
    Well, it's happened again! I listed this almost 4 hours ago and it's still MIA. I've figured out that it will indeed show when linked to if I hack the "&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT" out of the link, but it still won't show in listings or search. To me this sort of thing is more frustrating than any other ebay silliness. It just seems so easily avoidable if they spent half as much time debugging their code as they do figuring out ways to screw up the redesigns. I've successfully listed several coins while waiting for this lot to show.

So, any other ideas on what this may be since I last asked? Anyone else experience this?

When I wrote Support about this last time they responded fairly quickly, but only once the issue somehow resolved itself. The response was along the lines of "what are you talking about? we don't screw up!". I didn't follow up since it was already fixed but this is annoying. They are charging for the service and I'm missing a good chunk of high traffic time thanks to this.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It works for me.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    When you listed it did you happen to edit it after you listed it?
  • Options
    Nope, not this one. But I did edit every one of the coin lots that are showing (had to fix the shipping).
  • Options
    spoon, I listed an item today, and I noted upon listing it that ebay had a disclaimer about when the listing would become visible, and said something along the lines that they cannot guarantee an exact period for exposure. Reading further I noted some of the "variables" they stated which could affect when a listing becomes visible, and one of them was related to their stupid "Best Match" they now have, which really isn't a Best Match, rather it is "whichever sellers make more sales on ebay get listed first match". I suspect that is the reason it has happened to you again.

Since I always change the "Best Match" default to "Newly Listed" when I am searching, I sent them an email asking them when they are going to allow users to change the default to what they want, instead of Best Match, which in my case never is even close. They still have not responded. I know they promote the fact that your listings will receive priority in search results if you sell more items, since I have personally received such pitches, to which I have quietly (under my breath to myself) said, "Screw you, I'll list when I have something I desire to sell, and not before".

I don't think they realize just how much they are pissing off their own customer base with their attempt to extract every single dime, nickel and cent from every single sale, whether via forcing sellers into accepting PayPal (so ebay gets a double cut) or through implication telling sellers that they will receive low priority search hits unless they a mega-Power Sellers.

Checked the ebay disclaimers after you list your next item, and you'll see what I saw.
  • Options
    Yep, I saw that disclaimer. And the response from support was a long winded legalese version of the same. I still say this is ridiculous, but I'll withhold any further ranting on it.

The listing fully materialized sometime after 2AM, making it an 8 hour delay.

On the Best Match - I HATE that! I can think of a few arguments in favor of it, but none that make sense. I usually try to list things in a coherent way, Best Match undoes whatever order I try to apply. I've written in about it through Support and through the What do you think of our new search experience/redesign forms, just to register another nay vote on the petition, but no response. Sometimes it seems the web designers don't even use the product the create (all too common with gov't contracted software!)