Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

regrade question about old holders

If I send in a coin to PCGS for a regrade and it doesn't upgrade, does it come back in a new holder with the same grade, or does it return in its original holder? Just one of those points in curiosity, since I might some day come across an upgrade candidate in an old rattler. Well, that, and a reholdered coin loses any stickers attatched, which sometimes get stuck onto regrade candidates by certain unmentionable parties.
Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Comments

• StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure if is a PCGS holdered coin, it is cracked out to regrade.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that's right.....new holder.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, that's right.....new holder. >>

And new cert number also.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And new cert number also. >>

I have seen a coin that had the same cert number on a blue cert that it did when it was in a holder with a green cert. I'm not sure if it was sent in for "regrade" or "reholder" and whether that would make a difference in whether it got a new cert number.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just stating an observation.
    Doug

<< <i>

<< <i>

And new cert number also. >>

I have seen a coin that had the same cert number on a blue cert that it did when it was in a holder with a green cert. I'm not sure if it was sent in for "regrade" or "reholder" and whether that would make a difference in whether it got a new cert number.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just stating an observation. >>

I could very well be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time or last.image I just sent in 5 PCGS coins for regrade and even though they all stayed the same grade, they all came back with new numbers. I had to re-enter all in the Registry since they disappeared due to the old number being voided out.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent in a 14D lincoln for regrade with Presidential Review and it not only came back still a 64RD it was still in the same holder. Just a little red pen note on the front, explaining that there were spots which limited teh grade to 64RD.

but it was not reholdered.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it would depend on if you specified a minimum grade or designation whether or not it would be cracked out.

<< <i>I suppose it would depend on if you specified a minimum grade or designation whether or not it would be cracked out. >>

I sent mine is on the Regrade Service. This is what their description is:

Regrade: Use the "Regrade" service for coins previously graded by PCGS that you feel might be worthy of a higher grade. Submit the coins in the holder. We guarantee that the coins will not be downgraded.

There was no option for keeping it in the same holder or keeping the same number.

• So, it could be a fairly expensive alternative to their regular reholder service, just with the prospect thrown in that one could get an upgrade?

Given the uncertain nature about how some have experienced reholders of same-grade, while others did not, it would seem that the best bet is to use the service for which it's overtly intended--to upgrade coins that really look like they deserve a better grade. We could think of the threat of losing the fourth-party "verification" stickers as a potential tax to discourage gunshot techniques of sending in a bunch of randomly selected "premium for the grade" coins with the hopes that two or three upgrades will more than pay for the process.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent in a 14D lincoln for regrade with Presidential Review and it not only came back still a 64RD it was still in the same holder. Just a little red pen note on the front, explaining that there were spots which limited teh grade to 64RD.

but it was not reholdered. >>

A Presidential Review and a ReGrade are two completely different cats.

The Presidential Review was were David Hall himself reviewed the coin and if he felt it would upgrade then the coin would get cracked and upgraded. If not, it would get returned to the submitter with a note attached why it would not upgrade.

The Presidential Review is no longer available but a similar submission level was implemented called Grade Review with Comments. Grade Review with Comments is now no longer available.

A ReGrade, as it is known today, amounts to just that. The coin will get cracked out of the holder and regraded but PCGS guarantees it will not down grade. I have used this service and a new cert number was issued for each coin submitted. If you have an old rattler which you wish to preserve then ReGrade is not the submission level you want.

The other alternative is a Grade Review or Grade Guarantee where you feel the coin is over graded and want to take advantage of PCGS's guarantee. The coin gets a preliminary review and if the reviewer feels the coin will downgrade then it gets reslabbed with the lower grade and a certain cash difference is paid to the submitter.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!