Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My first big trade

Ok, so I do not usually trade or sell. But in my quest to fill out my '61 Fleer Basketball registry set...my favorite set...I agreed to a pretty good trade.

First, in the mid-90s, I purchased a bunch of '69 basketball cards raw. I paid somewhere around $10-20 for all of them.

They sat around forever until I decided to start a registry set last year. All went out for grading. I got back an Elvin Hayes in PSA-9 and a Jim Davis in PSA-10. Out of 20,000 '69s graded, there are only 26 PSA-10s, so I knew that card was worth some cash.

I sent out some feelers to some of the registry guys on the '69 set(much competition) and found a guy that was willing to buy the Hayes for $800. I accepetd the offer. Used that $$ to pick up a bunch of '64 Stand Ups from Steve Hart for my registry set.

Then I found a guy who was interested in the PSA-10. With some help from Doug I learned that the PSA-10 common was worth about $1,500. They guy who was interested in it had a bunch of '61 Fleer cards, including a West Rookie in PSA-7, Russell in PSA-7, Cousy I/A PSA-8, Bellamy rookie PSA-8, Baylor rookie PSA-7, and Chamberlain rookie in PSA-5. Here is the trade....

I got...21 PSA graded cards worth $4,100 from the '61 set and a '69 basketball wax pack

He got...the PSA-10 card, $1,100 cash, and 1 of my favorite packs--the 1969 basketball wax pack-GAI-9, with Jerry West on top.

I hated to part with the pack, but really wanted the cards for the '61 set. We agreed on a price of $2,500 for the pack. I figured why not since I was getting a '69 pack in return.

And then............I got his wax pack. Slabbed GAI-8 (recent slab with the new flip)...and it was a bad pack! Terrible job also...not even 10 cards in it I surmised. Poor corners, some of theback label bent, bad roller seal. Now what?? I did not wnat to give up a gorgeous pack for 1 that may be bad.

I called the other guy and told him the pack was bad...IMO. I really wanted the '61 cards, so I agreed to pay him the extra $1,400 in cash and return his pack.

Long and short of it was that I still got to keep the West pack, which I may throw out there to sell.

The trade took 3 days to complete....it was fun and something I would love to do again. Guess I was not destined to give up one of my favorite packs.

Thought you guys would appreciate the story.

Comments