Home Precious Metals
Options

Can government be trusted with the money supply?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
Interesting online seminar. Mark your calendars for April 17.

The Federal Reserve's contribution to the current financial crisis, far from being exceptional, is typical of central banks' frequent, myopic mismanagement of money. So why, given their dismal record, do we allow governments to manage money at all? The standard answer is that were money left to private enterprise, bad money would drive good money out of circulation.

In Good Money: Birmingham Button Makers, the Royal Mint, and the Beginnings of Modern Coinage, 1775—1821 (University of Michigan Press, 2008), George Selgin reveals a forgotten episode of private coinage that proves the contrary. At the onset of Great Britain’s Industrial Revolution, the British Royal Mint proved utterly incapable of meeting the monetary needs of an industrializing economy; and it was only thanks to private mints and their "commercial" coins that Great Britain managed to avoid slipping back into feudalism.

We hope that you will be able to join us and hear Professor Selgin discuss this fascinating, important, and unjustly forgotten episode in the history of money.

Cato events, unless otherwise noted, are free of charge. To register for this event, please fill out the form below and click submit or email events@cato.org, fax (202) 371-0841, or call (202) 789-5229 by noon, Thursday, April 16, 2009. Please arrive early. Seating is limited and not guaranteed. News media inquiries only (no registrations), please call (202) 789-5200.

If you can't make it to the Cato Institute, watch this forum live online.

If you plan to watch this event online, there is no need to register.

More details here.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why the gold standard imposed discipline on governments---governments can't create gold out of thin air like they can create fiat money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>Can government be trusted with the money supply? >>

Our system of Gov't not only supports our own economy but supports others as well.There is ..No.. return for giving to other countries in the form of aide.With this aide there is a delusion that they will be our ally in the future.This has proven false and detrimental most of the time......So to answer your question.....Let's take a vote...!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, government can be trusted with nothing. Trust implies control without supervision. Government inherantly is corrupt and can not operate in a trustworthy manner without direct supervision for any extended period of time.
  • Options
    Gee I wonder if this thread is gonna get nuked..image...there was another thread before and it just ...well....you know..............poof....!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would it go poof? image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO!

But on the flip side you can't trust the private sector with it either. Look at what happenend with the major banks and insurers. Since they didn't have direct control of the money system, they created their own shadow banking system with off balance sheet products of massive leverage. What do you call CDS, MBS, and other derivatives other than a fake monetary system where these guys made fortunes on paper and were paid their inflated salaries, bonuses, and stock options? And we're going to give them control of the actual currency as well? Think again.

But let's not pat the govt on the back either. The FED and Treasury also found new exotic ways to circumvent congress when it came to increasing the money supply. So in essence, a private corporation (the FED) has been in charge of our money supply since 1913. In reality we didn't even trust our own govt and gave the money supply to the financial backers of the dozen or so FED reserve banks.

To be honest, even when we had gold as our currency, private and even national banks sprung up over the past 200 years that still expanded the paper bills (ie money supply) without backing it with gold.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

Our system of Gov't not only supports our own economy but supports others as well.There is ..No.. return for giving to other countries in the form of aide.With this aide there is a delusion that they will be our ally in the future.This has proven false and detrimental most of the time......So to answer your question.....Let's take a vote...!! >>

That's OK all they have to do is crank out a few trillion dollars more to help pay for everything, of course some here will claim this isn't inflationary and PM's like Silver will trade between $5-$15 forever or Gold will trade between $300-$1,000 forever.image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    isn't this question a day late and a dollar short?

more or less?
  • Options
    jsf, "a dollar short". image

Forgot to answer the question. No! But like RR said the private showed us what they can do with trust. So, who you gonna trust.
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i think a govt can be trusted to maintain the money supply as long
    as the majority of citizens are upstanding folks and trustworthy. once
    a country passes the critical point of having more untrustworthy people
    versus trustworthy... you will arrive at a point where things get mismanaged.

it just all depends on the people who make up the country.
  • Options

<< <i>i think a govt can be trusted to maintain the money supply as long

it just all depends on the people who make up the country. >>

So considering everything that's happened in the financial system do you think the country has been managed correctly or do the citizens have a valid reason to distrust those in charge?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i think a govt can be trusted to maintain the money supply as long

it just all depends on the people who make up the country. >>

So considering everything that's happened in the financial system do you think the country has been managed correctly or do the citizens have a valid reason to distrust those in charge?
    image >>

I think that we are at a point where we have too many people not paying
    attention and staying educated which leads to becoming untrustworthy
    to make judgements on who to elect to govt and for what reasons.

It remains to be seen if the majority can be shocked or persuaded
    to choose a better path in my opinion. Is my opinion correct? I would
    like to think so... that is a smaller federal govt that remains within
    its budget.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Why do we "allow"? image

That's nearly as funny as the other guy saying something about it being ok depending on the people who make up the country.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure you can trust Government. You can even trust your wife to Ted Kennedy. (now)
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust and government in the same sentence, sounds fishy
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    I think that we are at a point where we have too many people not paying attention and staying educated which leads to becoming untrustworthy to make judgements on who to elect to govt and for what reasons. It remains to be seen if the majority can be shocked or persuaded to choose a better path in my opinion. Is my opinion correct? I would like to think so... that is a smaller federal govt that remains within its budget.

The average person today is probably far more educated about politics than people of the past. I think the real issue is people wanting something for nothing and having been told for decades by everyone from economists to presidents that such a system is workable and in fact desireable. What has changed is everyone buying up the Keynesian crap that debt is money, deficits don't matter, and that a target inflation rate of a "couple of percent" is necessary for a growing and vibrant economy. There have been politicians offering a better path but as soon as one of them them mentions "honest" money or accountability in their campaign they've already lost half the vote.

roadrunner
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What has changed is everyone buying up the Keynesian crap that debt is money, deficits don't matter . . ."

Keynes himself of course knew that deficits mattered, and would undoubtedly be mortified with the reckless way that money is borrowed and spent these days.image
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817

<< <i> Ii think a govt can be trusted to maintain the money supply as long

>>

<< <i>The average person today is probably far more educated about politics than people of the past. I think the real issue is people wanting something for nothing and having been told for decades by everyone from economists to presidents that such a system is workable and in fact desireable. What has changed is everyone buying up the Keynesian crap that debt is money, deficits don't matter, and that a target inflation rate of a "couple of percent" is necessary for a growing and vibrant economy. There have been politicians offering a better path but as soon as one of them them mentions "honest" money or accountability in their campaign they've already lost half the vote.

roadrunner >>

I think you guys are both spot on. A lot of people are pointing to the current crisis as proof that capitalism doesn't work. Moral, hard-working capitalism works just fine. It's corrupt entitlement capitalism that doesn't work, and I'm afraid that's what we've got right now.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    not a chance.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Can government be trusted with the money supply? >>

I think you're about 35 years too late with the question.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Ii think a govt can be trusted to maintain the money supply as long

>>

<< <i>The average person today is probably far more educated about politics than people of the past. I think the real issue is people wanting something for nothing and having been told for decades by everyone from economists to presidents that such a system is workable and in fact desireable. What has changed is everyone buying up the Keynesian crap that debt is money, deficits don't matter, and that a target inflation rate of a "couple of percent" is necessary for a growing and vibrant economy. There have been politicians offering a better path but as soon as one of them them mentions "honest" money or accountability in their campaign they've already lost half the vote.

roadrunner >>

I think you guys are both spot on. A lot of people are pointing to the current crisis as proof that capitalism doesn't work. Moral, hard-working capitalism works just fine. It's corrupt entitlement capitalism that doesn't work, and I'm afraid that's what we've got right now. >>

This is exactly what we have right now, it's every man for himself. The hogs (CEO's, CFO's, Presidents, VP's, Wall Street bankers, Politicians)are feeding at the top end of the trough, the pigs (upper middle class and business owners) are in the middle and the poor little piglets (middle class and working poor)are on the bottom. Of course you have the welfare recipients who always seem to have their hand out but don't really want to work but it's tough to get to far ahead living on welfare.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    The hogs (CEO's, CFO's, Presidents, VP's, Wall Street bankers, Politicians)are feeding at the top end of the trough, the pigs (upper middle class and business owners) are in the middle and the poor little piglets (middle class and working poor)are on the bottom.

Reminds me of the class warfare that errupted in the 30s.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Think Hooverville.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust the gov with Your $$.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Class warfare is encouraged by the Illuminati behind the major banks and corporations. Our attention should be turned instead towards returning our capitalistic system and our republic back to the majority of the people, not class warfare, which clearly benefits those already in control. The first step is to follow the constitution and get control of the govt back.

In 2008 a bill was under consideration to place the BEP and USMint under the controls of the FED (ie give all power over our money to the FED). Fortunately, I think that bill is dead and it would raise a stink if it showed up again.

The founding fathers knew that the govt couldn't possibly be trusted with the money supply because 2 thousand years of recorded history proved it. Not one example of an eduring paper currency regime....most failed after 25-75 years. Why should we be surprised at what's happened since 1971? Basic laws of economics, money and greed cannot be changed.

roadrunner
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the link Andy. if i remember, i'll try to see it online.

• Options

<< <i>The hogs (CEO's, CFO's, Presidents, VP's, Wall Street bankers, Politicians)are feeding at the top end of the trough, the pigs (upper middle class and business owners) are in the middle and the poor little piglets (middle class and working poor)are on the bottom.

Reminds me of the class warfare that errupted in the 30s. >>

Listen we're all guilty of this thing called greed, I was merely pointing out the different levels of hogish behavior inherent in most any person living today. I don't buy into the class warfare argument that the Democrats constantly drag out, let's get real here most of them are multi-m illionares so why in God's name would they want to go after themselves to benefit the poor and middle class???image
    You have to admit that the greed in this country is reaching epic proportions, just look at the bonuses the wall street bankers and upper management are being payed out for the pathetic performance at their companies. Where is the board of directors in all this, I've been on a board of directors at an agricultural co-op for 14 years and I constantly grill management about benefits and compensation so unless the CEO's are hand picking a bunch of yes men you can't tell me that these board members are this ignorant as to what is going on around them?image
  • Options
    Oops...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy into the class warfare argument that the Democrats constantly drag out, let's get real here most of them are multi-m illionares so why in God's name would they want to go after themselves to benefit the poor and middle class???image

Because "they" are the selfless (?) heroes (?) of the downtrodden, standing up to the exploitative, oppressive, manipulative abuses of the corporate hierarchy. So, to combat such injustice "they" create and feed a governmental bureaucracy that no one can match in terms of exploitative, oppressive, manipulative abuses of the working stiff.

If you're in the middle class, you have *no* friends. None. Well, maybe Ron Paul, but no others.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Does this question really need an answer with the recent news events...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, even when we had gold as our currency, private and even national banks sprung up over the past 200 years that still expanded the paper bills (ie money supply) without backing it with gold.<<

This private paper was generally accepted in trade (if accepted at all) at an often sizable discount to gold, reflecting the perceived risk that it would not be redeemed at full value by the issuer. Back then there were plenty of alternative forms of money to choose from. Today the entire world is on a paper standard (or its electronic equivalent), and there is no practical alternative to government-issued currency for use in everyday commercial transactions.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    The government was not always in charge of money. In our colonial days, banks issued their own money (Read: A nation of counterfeiters). You know, if a US bank today wanted to issue a gold backed note, it would be interesting to see what the legal ramifications might be. Interesting because it would not necessarily be legal tender but it would be an instrument of commerce, much like the crap the big banks issue now except the notes would be backed by gold or silver or something other than being backed by the full faith in something. Man, would that put the IR s panties in a twitter. It was so much easier when these notes were redeemable for silver or gold and it said so right on the note. That would certainly take the BS factor out of the banking business and would restore or actually provide some kind of credibility in our instruments of commerce.

That's all money is, just an instrument of commerce, a way to keep score and a way to move goods between people ie if you bought a bunch of cows you may not necessarily want to park 200 bales of cotton and a truck load of strawberries in trade on someones corporate parking lot nor would you necessarily want to have a few 18 wheelers full of cows sitting on your loading dock so it's just easier to swap some money and send the goods to where they need to go.

I'm still waiting for some nation to issue a PM backed currency. They would not be able to print the notes fast enough and that would be the end of the USD backed only by the full faith in something that at last tally had a 9% public approval rating. I'm still kind of amazed/amused that all the govts. just hand out this paper that has no real merit other than the govt. says it's good for commerce but not really worth anything.