Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Original 1957 Topps Baseball Master Set Award Winner in Mile High Card Co Auction

The original winner of the Set Registry award for the 1957 Topps Baseball Master Set is in the current Mile High Card Co auction. All 407 cards, the Baker error card, all of the contest cards and half of the tough checklists are in PSA 7. A rare opportunity to get some of the tough ones in high grade.

Auction

Comments

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    They have 3 complete sets in that auction. If that was my NM/MT all 8 set I would be pissed with that description. They spend half of the time explaining the mathmatic upgrade. WEAK!!! Is it your set?

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    I think its a rip to have more than one set in an auction without the sellers consent. However, it looks like these 3 sets are far enough apart in grade and value that you would attract 3 different levels of buyers.
  • Options
    hench1hench1 Posts: 116
    My set is the complete set in PSA 7. Actually, I was shocked when the auction came out and I saw all of the other 1957 material and wasn't happy seeing it. Hopefully, it will indeed, attract multiple levels of buyers.

I had had a bad experience with Mastro a few years back and now wonder if ANY of the auction houses are worth a flip. They seem content to just make their mark and to hell with what is best for the consigners.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They have 3 complete sets in that auction. If that was my NM/MT all 8 set I would be pissed with that description. They spend half of the time explaining the mathmatic upgrade. WEAK!!! Is it your set?

Dave >>

I 100% agree. That description is awful and that set deserves to be sold on its own. Ditto for the all-7 set that's listed.

Tabe
  • Options
    hench1hench1 Posts: 116
    At this point, with two days to go, my all PSA 7 set is only at $8k, which I think is giving it away.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    SMR for a complete 1957 set in PSA 7 is $18,641.

Maybe some late bids coming?

Having 3 1957 sets at once is a bad idea (for the sellers) - I do not think they are different enough to avoid interference.
    Capecards
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    "I had had a bad experience with Mastro a few years back and now wonder if ANY of the auction houses are worth a flip"

I think the answer to your question is self evident.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I had had a bad experience with Mastro a few years back and now wonder if ANY of the auction houses are worth a flip. They seem content to just make their mark and to hell with what is best for the consigners. >>

Totally agree.image
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've had good experiences with Goodwin. When he says there won't be a conflict with other lots, there won't be. And he turned down a consignment with me once because he had a similar item in the auction already.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Hench1 good luck. I almost feel bad for you, but since the auction isn't over I will save it. I do think you will get alot more action and possible get close to your target price. That being said, it doesn't change my feelings about being screwed by the conflicting lots. LOTS. the lower grade lot to me causes the greatest threat to bidders in your lot.

I will be watching.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Well you're almost at $13k but it's still low. I hope there are some high late bids.

Joe
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I had had a bad experience with Mastro a few years back and now wonder if ANY of the auction houses are worth a flip. They seem content to just make their mark and to hell with what is best for the consigners. >>

AMEN TO THAT! Mastro is who I consigned my collection to last year (see my sig line) and I was VERY disappointed how I was treated. They threw SO MUCH STUFF into one lot ... some real nice items just got lost in the shuffle!!! And of cour$e it co$t me dearly!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Moot point- Mastro is gone, and reincarnated. But whatever they are called I would never consign to them again either.
    Between Goodwin, REA, and Huggins & Scott there are enough good honest guys that will appreciate your consignments and bids.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I see that this one closed at around 15K. I assume that the 17.5% buyers premium is in addition to that figure which pushes the total set cost to the buyer to near 18K. Were you happy with that figure?

I had some bids on some of the 1964 hockey cards and unfortunately got shut out.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Four 1957 sets in the same auction. Doesn't matter if the whole set is graded or just some of the cards. Just not right.

Joe
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    There were 3 sets. An all PSA 8 set, an all PSA 7 set, and a set that averaged 6.41. The buyers of each set will be very different. The 8 guy would have no interest in the 2 lower grade sets, the 7 guy wasn't picking between the 8 and 6.41 set, and the 6.41 set guy got the set he wanted. Based on percentage of SMR the 7 at just over 81% did better than the 8 set at just over 76%. An all PSA 7 1956 or all PSA 7 1958 set would have more impact to the kind of buyer who would buy an all PSA 7 1957 set than an all PSA set 8 1957 set being in the same auction. If anything the PSA 8 set pulls the price of the PSA 7 set up based on seeing that it's less than half the price of a PSA 8 set.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Guys, your math is off a little.

The final bid on the PSA 7 set was $12,974 before the buyers premium, and $15, 244.45 after the 17.5% was added.

$12,974 is about 70% of SMR ($18,641).

Larry
    Capecards
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    My assumption of the final prices being before BP was wrong I guess.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Guys, your math is off a little.
    The final bid on the PSA 7 set was $12,974 before the buyers premium, and $15, 244.45 after the 17.5% was added.
    $12,974 is about 70% of SMR ($18,641).

And $15,244, the price the buyer paid, is about 81.7% of SMR.
  • Options
    I think alot of sellers can get the sellers fees waived, and the buyers premium is just lost in the amount a buyer is willing to bid on the lot. I do think most people figure that into theitr bid and it comes out aqbout even in the end. That being said, I think the seller probably got right about what he thought. He probably isn't jumping for joy, but doubtful he is upset. Hench1 come give us the details....

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA