Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Steelers Fans - My idea for a registry set? -- Showcase is complete with scans

I'm building this set either way but thought I might submit it to be added to the registry.

Following are the RCs of the 21 players that were on all 4 1970s Super Bowl teams + the 4 SB cards

I'm pretty sure the list is correct but feel free to correct me if you see an error.

Year Company Card # Name
1975 Topps 39 Bleier, Rocky
1975 Topps 12 Blount, Mel
1971 Topps 156 Bradshaw, Terry
1976 Topps 381 Brown, Larry
1975 Topps 152 Davis, Sam
1976 Topps 341 Furness, Steve
1971 Topps 245 Greene, Joe
1972 Topps 101 Greenwood, L.C.
1977 Topps 159 Grossman, Randy
1973 Topps 115 Ham, Jack
1973 Topps 89 Harris, Franco
1977 Topps 341 Kolb, Jon
1976 Topps 220 Lambert, Jack
1973 Topps 191 Mullins, Gerry
1979 Topps 411 Shell, Donnie
1978 Topps 320 Stallworth, John
1975 Topps 282 Swann, Lynn
1983 Topps 367 Toews, Loren
1973 Topps 246 Wagner, Mike
1977 Topps 99 Webster, Mike
1973 Topps 140 White, Dwight
1975 Topps 528 Super Bowl IX
1976 Topps 333 Super Bowl X
1979 Topps 168 Super Bowl XIII
1980 Topps 494 Super Bowl XIV

Showcase Link

Comments

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOimage
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

That's a great idea for a set. Are they all in Steelers uniforms on their RCs?

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I tried to do that with the Bears super bowl XX team, but was unsuccesful.
    I tried to do it in the key card format, but PSA would'nt let me do it that way.
    They suggested putting it in the team set format under a decade of Topps Bears.
    That would have cut out too many players off the set so I gave it up.
    In your case if you did a decade of topps Steelers (1971-1980) you would only have to exclude one card, 1983 Topps 367 Toews, Loren.

Good luck,
    Tom
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Yes -- all in Steeler uniforms -- unlike the all-time Steelers set that has Bettis in a Rams uniform -- one of the reasons I don't pursue that set.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Great idea, scotgreb! I'll second the motion if need be.

Nick
  • Options
    Great idea - could expand to steelers of the 70s
    Current #1 Hines Ward Master Set
    Current #1 Hines Ward Basic Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Master Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Basic Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Basic Set
    Current #1 Jerome Bettis Basic Set
    Current #2 Jerome Bettis Master Set
    Current #1 Franco Harris Basic Set
    Current #2 Franco Harris Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Ham Master Set

succesful deals with CDsNuts and Bkritz thanks
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    do the steelers have a HOF of their own??

the reason i ask is another packer collector and i started the Packers HOF set. we decided that we would take cards from players in the Packer HOF that first showed them in a Packer uniform or with the Packers...say a draft pick RC with only a hat or a college uniform like some of the old bowman cards from days long ago. this way its dedicated to more of the fan of the team then just all the rc collectors out there.

we were able to get it included in the hof listing. they probably took the set as the people added to the set are decided by an outside source. which might be a sticking point for this set at the present. another option...do they have an all 70's team for the steelers?? if so i would assume that all of these players would be on it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jay -- That's a pretty good idea. I just checked the Steelers web site and their HOF consists only of true HOFers.

Based on the feedback here, I probably will not try to get this added.

FYI - I have an extra PSA 8 Larry Brown RC - 1976 #381 if anyone is interested (please PM). It's a pretty weak 8, however.

Also looking for a nicely centered PSA 6/7/8 of the following;

1973 Mike Wagner #246
    1975 Mel Blount #12
    1983 Loren Toews #367
    1976 SB X #333
    1980 SB XIV #494
  • Options
    I thought I would share a photo of my near complete personal "Registry Set".

The photo includes the 21 Steelers who were rostered on all four super bowl champs in the 1970s -- Note that all 21 cards are rookies.

In addition to the 21 are -- Chuck Noll, the four Topps SB cards and three of my other favorite Steelers from that era -- Gerela and JT Thomas (3 SBs) and Bennie Cunningham (2 SBs)

I'd be forever indebted to anyone who can help with the three remaining that are not graded -- been looking for a while (and should have submitted via the last special)

Hope you enjoy!

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I would share a photo of my near complete personal "Registry Set".

The photo includes the 21 Steelers who were rostered on all four super bowl champs in the 1970s -- Note that all 21 cards are rookies.

In addition to the 21 are -- Chuck Noll, the four Topps SB cards and three of my other favorite Steelers from that era -- Gerela and JT Thomas (3 SBs) and Bennie Cunningham (2 SBs)

I'd be forever indebted to anyone who can help with the three remaining that are not graded -- been looking for a while (and should have submitted via the last special)

Hope you enjoy!

image >>

Very nice!
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection!

It's probably too late to add them, but the fleer team action cards are very nice and not that expensive. There's a lot of Steelers cards and they might make a nice addition to your collection. I know it points you in a different direction but might be worth at least considering.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great collection. image

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    you look into the oversize sportscaster cards? I believe there is a chuck noll in there
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott, great looking set. Thanks for sharing I'm doing the Steelers all-time set and I do have a problem with Bettis in a Rams uniform, but he is one of the best backs the Steelers have ever had. BTW looking for a 1979 Donnie Shell PSA 8 tough card to find.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    My "4-Times Proud" set is now complete (with scans) in the showcase area.

Steelers 1970s 4-Time Champions

Scott
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking set there.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes -- all in Steeler uniforms -- unlike the all-time Steelers set that has Bettis in a Rams uniform -- one of the reasons I don't pursue that set. >>

A true fan, I did the same thing for the Packer HOF set. The Jim Taylor HOF rookie card is his 1959 Topps, but it is an error card. It has Jim Taylor from the Cardinals pictured on it. They did it again in 1960. Finally they got it right in 1961. That is the card in the set. 1961.