Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1979-80 OPC Hockey Wax Packs..

I work with a guy who was a big hockey fan back 25-30 years ago. We were having lunch one day last summer and the topic of baseball cards came up. I told him all about how the industry had changed in the last 15 or so years including the process of grading sports cards. In passing, he mentioned that he had a lot of hockey cards and asked me if I would be interested in them since they were taking up valuable space in his home. Not being a huge hockey fan, I told him that if he was just going to throw them out then yes I'd take them.

Well, Friday of last week he unloads a rubbermaid container of hockey cards on me all from 1979-80. The guy had 8 Gretzky cards in top loaders and a box of unopened wax packs!! The best part of the whole thing is that none of the stuff was Topps, it's all OPC!! Needless to say, I'm starting to like hockey cards!!!
There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

You should definitely throw him a BIG bone.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Hockey cards are cool dispite what some might say on here!!image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Cincy ... I HOPE you told him what he had there, since I am sure he would not have just given them away if he knew what he had.

As Mike said .... throw him a BIG BONE ... like 1/2 of what you receive from them when they are sold!

GOOD LUCK!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    If you slab an 8 on one of those Gretzkys, I'm in. I need one for my 500 goal scores set on the registry.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    pm sent!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i am not disputing your story, but it is astonishing to me that anyone would not know that a gretzky rookie card has value.

my story is always the opposite. when people know that i collect cards they show me their "shoebox of gems" that had stored away for their kids college payments and it is bunch of VG 1981 donruss commons.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    whats even more surprizing is that you would just take them and not offer him any $$.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    pictures of the 8 Gretzky's and the packs would help this thread.

Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    I'm with theczar on this one... trying re-posting on 4/1.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    If the Gretzkys were in toploaders, he obviously knew they were valuable. And if even owned toploaders, he'd have to know at least a little something about cards. Sounds fishy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."