Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My experience with NCS - 2S 1927C Proof impaired

I bought this

I sent it to NGC but on the comments I asked if NCS could improve the appearance

$10 evaluation fee on the invoice, and $40 for work image

Quick turnaround, coin was stuck in customs over half of the time I was waiting, 6 weeks ! 72 day total turnaround

Deliberately lighting up the obverse there, I have no camera setup (handycam used for these)

Now has proper strong mirrors, totally clean surfaces and looks so much better, bagmarks and scrapes or not image

Back to NGC and graded as well, PF58 (noted a tiny rub on the tip of the right reverse orb, and maybe one of the pearls)

Oh, AND it was dipped carefully before it left Australia (by the seller!). Its been a long wait, but its worth it image they don't come cheap in FDC

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Other than the unsightly clamps provided by the holder, it looks nice. Seems to be a bit of cameo going on the obverse.

And if it is a real proof (not sure I necessarily trust NGC), Krause has it listed at $15K. Yow!
  • Options
    Am I reading correctly? I understand that the coin has been worked on to produce its current condition?
    Collects re-strike 1780 Maria Theresa Talers, as well as NZ and Austrian coins
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Other than the unsightly clamps provided by the holder, it looks nice. Seems to be a bit of cameo going on the obverse.

And if it is a real proof (not sure I necessarily trust NGC), Krause has it listed at $15K. Yow! >>

when a coin is valued that high, you can be sure they thought about it good and hard; that is a lot more liability between business strike and proof to just slab it willy-nilly.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I reading correctly? I understand that the coin has been worked on to produce its current condition? >>

Yeah, I am wondering that myself. It actually is still impaired in my eyes. Does it still have all of the hairlining in the fields as the first pics suggest?
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Nice bit of work from NCS on that one. Congrats on getting it into an NGC holder. Will you try to cross it to PCGS?
  • Options
    RareSovRareSov Posts: 299
    Definitely still impaired, but the eye appeal is much much better than before. There are lots of light hairlines and most of the bigger marks are contact marks, but in hand the mirrors make them go away a lot, as you can tell from the new pictures. That's why I'm so happy. Its still a bagged up loss of a once beautiful proof

It was worked on by removing tarnish with silver dip and some toothpick work ! (the seller explained his work to me)

I sent it to NGC/NCS anyway, before I got his reply. I felt it was original or ok anyway. NGC took my comment literally about NCS improving eye appeal and must have agreed, it went to NCS. NCS evaluated it for $10 and work was done, they must have had high confidence their dip (???) would help the coin

I could cross it, no worries image its definitely a proof as confirmed by the finder, then the secretary of ANDA, and then myself. It has wire rim still evident, despite some very tiny rim bumps. You can pick it from the first images if you look carefully

Strike is also a dead giveaway, the orbs and full steps, the depth of rim

A FDC proof I saw at ANDA show (Monetarium) had much more prominent milling, because it was a perfect example of course ! 49,500 AUD retail, but could be had for less. Monetarium and Sterling Currency here both have FDC proofs, they are definitely much nicer and more valuable. Quite a few from the 400 mintage were lost to circulation. Interestingly though, the PCGS PR67 at Sterling Currency is already quite dark, another hundred years it could be too dark to appreciate. Hard to believe my coin has any tiny advantage over something so much rarer. I guess they can still conserve it some day, scary though

http://sterlingcurrency.com.au/items/proof-florin-1927-fdc-pcgs-pr-67 see here for the one I'm talking about. A beauty, check the full sized images from the small thumbnail links

OH and why is it only $15,000 USD in Krause instead of 30 ? image

See the page above. MOST orders from the mintage were sold to dealers who sold them on to *drum roll* THE USA
  • Options

<< <i>Other than the unsightly clamps provided by the holder >>

It will never move, and the light comes in good.. but yeah if only they weren't there and it still wouldn't move..

Sucks when they don't know the type well, and holder it slightly on an angle. Neither obv or rev is off center, both would line up perfectly in the slab if it was holdered properly. And I have no hope of it moving counter clockwise 5 degrees or so image

I do like the new holder myself, I'm over the whole prong thing
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread...

I have questions...

Are there PL examples known?

The better question is... where any of the left over Proof dies used to strike coins for circulation?

Our Australian experts will hopefully provide some guidance image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    None that I know of

There are Centenary 1934-35 florins in PL though, keep an eye out for those. Struck from proof dies

Hmm image

Description AUSTRALIA
    Category WORLD COINS
    Denomination 2S
    Year/Mint 1927 AUSTRALIA
    Variety PARLIAMENT HOUSE
    Designation PF
    Total Graded 1

58 1
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Premium is there for the Melbourne Centennials for PL examples?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    There are two types identified in the latest aussie catalogue by Greg McDonald. Called PL Type 1 PL Type 2. I sent the info I knew to NGC already

I don't know more than what I read in the catalogue, nor do I know the die identifiers, that should be in August 2007 CAB, "Coin and Banknote" magazine over here. I've been meaning to pick up a copy and read, they are a great coin IMHO

Both are catalogued.. lets see

50% higher aUNC
    100% higher UNC
    200% higher ChUNC
    300% higher GEM

Pricing is still early but these should be pretty good figures
  • Options
    Just sent off my subscription to CAB Magazine, and a back order for August 2007 so I can read up on the 34-35 centenary prooflikes image

Noticed a back issue with feature about this 1927 Proof too, so ordered that image
  • Options
    There is diisention about the 34-35 Specimens, whilst some claim they exist, others suggest that they are just early strikes.

As for original coin, good pick up, pity about the dipping, the coin has lost most of its character .
  • Options
    Thanks Cruzi ! I look forward to reading and must see some myself

I'm usually on Greg's side once something is in the book, if he's willing to publish it as a variety or whatever image

As for the dip I never saw it before the seller dipped it himself, but to me it has only gotten better. I will be posting some better pics when I get them
  • Options
    How do I put this without getting into trouble again.........

Greg publishes before checking, there are a few things that are contentious in his guides.
  • Options
    I know the mule count is way off image
  • Options
    Slightly better images taken under cover but in natural light

• Options
    Oh well its gone now, I was advised by a dealer friend I would get up to $7500 AU .. so I listed it. Sold image $6000 is too much to turn down..
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, congratulations on the sale!
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! What are you going to purchase with this now? image
  • Options
    Gold !!! currently very cheap in AUD, the cheapest its been since the whole economy saga began.. 1156 AUD