Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1848-V 5 Lire Republicca Veneta

This coin (C-186) drips with history. On March 22, 1848, Daniele Manin began an insurrection against the Austrians (Hapsburgs) to whom Napolean had ceded the Veneto region at the end of the 18th century. The Hapsburgs had promised the Venetians self-governance as early as 1815, but they had second thoughts, especially because of the wealth that the region was producing for the empire.

The Venetians (and other provinces of the Veneto region) thought initially that they would receive support both from Piedmont to the northwest (Charles Albert/House of Savoy) and from the Catholic Church and Papal States to the south (Pope Pius IX). Manin was wrong. The Pope would not enter into conflict with the Catholic Hapsburgs, and Charles Albert abandoned support at the risk of losing territory.

The Venetian assembly voted to merge with Piedmont, which was already at war with Austria. Charles Albert pulled out of the deal after a few days to save his own skin, leaving Manin and the provisional government to fend entirely for themselves. Surrender came a year later, in August 1849, after hard fighting and a brutal siege. Still, this rebellion and the others of the same period led to the unification of Italy under the House of Savoy just 12 years later.

Thanks, Andy!

imageimage

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice read and beautiful coin. Thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enough already with the history! What's the grade?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That's a really great example of the type! I like it a lot more than the plain white ones usually seen. imageimage

Here's a copper of mine from the Austrian occupation (NGC 64 RB), still looking for nice 1849 coppers image

And a medal from the restoration of Austrian rule following the defeat of Napoleon:

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Hey, beautiful coin and thanks for the history: this is what makes the forums great!image

ed to add: beautiful patina.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin and history. DPOTD material there.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Spoon. Wow.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice IGWT, I love that obverse design.
    I had to crack the coin out to look at the edge . . . I couldn't resist. And here are the new pictures of the coin out of the plastic. Thanks to everyone for offering comments.

Here's a more managable file size:

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Great coin! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin that looks MUCH better outside the holder. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to crack the coin out to look at the edge . . . I couldn't resist

Assuming you were looking for the edge variety, I wished you had asked me first! I was able to make out enough of the edge while the coin was still in the holder, although it was not easy.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    Assuming you were looking for the edge variety, I wished you had asked me first! I was able to make out enough of the edge while the coin was still in the holder, although it was not easy.

Yes and no. I would have liberated the coin anyway. By the way, I've seen a reference to BENEDICE as well as to the BENEDETE variant of BENEDITE, but the error might be in the book instead of on the coin.
    Goddamn self-slabbers. image

imageimage
  • I loved both the history and the image of the coin.

THANK YOU!
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice - congrats!
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Very attractive piece Lou, thanks for sharing. image
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME PIECE
    and nice writeup.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Who is it that makes those holders? I know there's a forum member here that does it, but I can't remember and can't find it...
    Contact tmot99 (Tom Hoffman). I was able to choose the dimensions for the holder (I was even able to select the font that I like for the inscription). They turned it around very quickly, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the machining (lasering?), especially of the piece that holds the coin. The coin fit perfectly; of course, you also need to take accuate measurements of the coin. It was a real pleasure dealing with Tom.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that it worked well for you. It looks nice in that holder. I wish I had smaller screws as they look so big with a small holder like that.