Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

CLASSIC Rickey Henderson IP experience

So my buddy is a musician and flies a bunch. He's a huge baseball fan, and I got this from him yesterday. Had me laughing out loud. Hope you enjoy.

Yesterday, I boarded my Southwest Airlines connecting flight, Dallas to Houston, then on to LA I was unfortunately relegated to the "B 30-60" boarding group, meaning it was highly likely that I would be getting a middle seat. I boarded as B 59 and was looking for the first available overhead bin for my bags when I stepped onto the plane - it happened to be the first seat as I walked on - in the middle. Upon taking my seat and getting situated I realized that I was sitting next to Hall of Famer and greatest lead off man and base stealer ever, Rickey Henderson. UNreal. Though my interaction with Rickey was brief, it contained a few of the following bits of information and dialogue which solidified him as one of the best pro athletes ever, off the field.....hope you get as much of a laugh out of this as I did........

**When I realized he was Rickey Henderson, I simply said, "hey, are you Rickey Henderson?" (great opening line) And he said, "yeah man" and then kept looking out the window (he was wearing terminator style sunglasses - the full reflector kind ....on the plane - it was raining outside) and some leather loafers with no socks with a few tasteful gold chains and he is still totally jacked up like a pro athlete.

**I asked him where he was headed and he said "LA" and then proceeded to mumble that he was mad because there was no first class on Southwest and that...."Rickey always flies 1st class". I followed that up by asking him if he was going to try and play again and about his stint with the Newark Bears... he simply said, "Nah man, I'm in the Hall of Fame, I ain't doing that no more". I didn't have much response after that. Meanwhile I was trying to think of a way to get a picture with him without acting like a putz - I didn't get the picture because I think he would have pummeled me if i had asked - the guy just did not look happy -- However.....

**When we landed I handed him one of my CDs (like Rickey Henderson would give a damn about my CD), and I said, "I don't know if you are much of a music fan or not, but I wanted you to have one of my new CDs because I have been a big fan of you throughout the years".....at that moment, he took a pen out of his pocket and signed my own CD with HIS name and handed it back to me and walked off the plane without really saying anything else. Let me recap. I gave him my CD then he signed it with HIS name and gave it BACK to me.......CLASSIC - one of the smoothest and best moves ever......RICKEY IS TRULY THE GREATEST.

Comments

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Very funny story. Did anyone hear him on Mike and Mike the other day talking about framing his $1 million bonus check from the Oakland A's? Gotta love him.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    That's totally cool image

Rickey is the man! Glad he had a stink with the Sox before it was all over
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Ricky is a NUT, but one of the best MLB players for sure.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    +1 rickey henderson
    -1 everyone else.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Very funny story. Did anyone hear him on Mike and Mike the other day talking about framing his $1 million bonus check from the Oakland A's? Gotta love him. >>

That segment of the show was GREAT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Ha. I love the fact that he didn't actually listen to a word my buddy said and just signed because he figured that's what was going on.

I was at Spring Training in 1988 and somehow we got into the park early before other fans were allowed in. Rickey was at the batting cage off to the side of the field. No one around. Sitting by himself, leaning back in a chair against the chainlink fence, with his hands on his head... just kind of watching people walk around. I finally got the courage to go up to him (I was 9 or 10) and said "Mr. Henderson may I please have your autograph". He said "Naw kid I'm busy" and gave me the shoo away with his hand.

Haha love it.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got to love Rickey...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    "Rickey dont sign no autographs"--1979 Rickey Henderson
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    From the March/April addition of baseball Digest...

Select Quotes from Rickey Henderson:

Calling San Diego GM Kevin Towers, Rickey said "This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball"

When searching for a seat on the team bus, teammate Steve Finley said to "sit anywhere, you have tenure" to which Rickey replied "Ten Years? Rickey been playing for 16, 17 years"

There was the time he told a teammate while with the Yankees that his condo in New York had a great view of "The Entire State Building"

Finally, when asked about Ken Caminiti's comment that 50% of MLB players used steroids Rickey said: "Well, Rickey's not one of them, so thats 49% right there"
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the March/April addition of baseball Digest...

Select Quotes from Rickey Henderson:

Calling San Diego GM Kevin Towers, Rickey said "This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball"

When searching for a seat on the team bus, teammate Steve Finley said to "sit anywhere, you have tenure" to which Rickey replied "Ten Years? Rickey been playing for 16, 17 years"

There was the time he told a teammate while with the Yankees that his condo in New York had a great view of "The Entire State Building"

Finally, when asked about Ken Caminiti's comment that 50% of MLB players used steroids Rickey said: "Well, Rickey's not one of them, so thats 49% right there" >>

Hilarious quotes. The basketball equivalent might be Karl Malone. He used to talk in the third-person a lot as well.

Couple of other anecdotes about Rickey:

Rickey once asked a teammate how long it would take him to drive to the Dominican Republic.

In the early 1980s, the Oakland A’s accounting department was freaking out. The books were off $1 million. After an investigation, it was determined Rickey was the reason why. The GM asked him about a $1 million bonus he had received and Rickey said instead of cashing it, he framed it and hung it on a wall at his house.

This one happened in Seattle. Rickey struck out and as the next batter was walking past him, he heard Henderson say, “Don’t worry, Rickey, you’re still the best.”

Henderson once fell asleep on an ice pack and got frostbite – which forced him to miss three games — in mid-August.

San Diego GM Kevin Towers was trying to contact Rickey at a nearby hotel. He knew Henderson always used fake names to avoid the press, fans, etc. He was trying to think like Rickey and after several attempts; he was able to get Henderson on the phone. Rickey had checked in under Richard Pryor.

And my very favorite: A reporter once asked Rickey if he talked to himself, “Do I talk to myself? No, I just remind myself of what I’m trying to do. You know, I never answer myself so how can I be talking to myself?”

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Rickey is the man!
  • Options
    Why would he even give him his CD, as if Rickey or anyone would have wanted it unsolicited? He should have just kept it moving.

<< <i>

**When we landed I handed him one of my CDs (like Rickey Henderson would give a damn about my CD), and I said, "I don't know if you are much of a music fan or not, but I wanted you to have one of my new CDs because I have been a big fan of you throughout the years".....at that moment, he took a pen out of his pocket and signed my own CD with HIS name and handed it back to me and walked off the plane without really saying anything else. Let me recap. I gave him my CD then he signed it with HIS name and gave it BACK to me.......CLASSIC - one of the smoothest and best moves ever......RICKEY IS TRULY THE GREATEST. >>

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this story...bump

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    That is hilarious. Rickey just being Rickey.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the story and the great Rickey quotes, some good laughs.
  • Options

<< <i>Why would he even give him his CD, as if Rickey or anyone would have wanted it unsolicited? He should have just kept it moving.

<< <i>

**When we landed I handed him one of my CDs (like Rickey Henderson would give a damn about my CD), and I said, "I don't know if you are much of a music fan or not, but I wanted you to have one of my new CDs because I have been a big fan of you throughout the years".....at that moment, he took a pen out of his pocket and signed my own CD with HIS name and handed it back to me and walked off the plane without really saying anything else. Let me recap. I gave him my CD then he signed it with HIS name and gave it BACK to me.......CLASSIC - one of the smoothest and best moves ever......RICKEY IS TRULY THE GREATEST. >>

>>

I agree totally. It is little interactions like this that pro athletes have to deal with day in and day out. Yes they are paid well and in the public eye, but to endure this almost everyday of their life has to get old and drive them to be less fan friendly and less willing to sign autographs (especially for grown men, and I am an autograph collector!).

J
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Stormy likes that story.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think the first sports book I ever read was Rickey Henderson's Off Base: Confessions of a Thief that I bought at the Dollar Tree when I was about 8.