Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1893/2 barber dime?

Does anyone have the diags for attributing an 1893/2 barber dime? I believe there is a proof and non-proof version. I am looking for the non-proof!
Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    There should be a clear horizontal bar visible in the bottom loop of the 3, which extends slightly to the right of the numeral.

The 1893/2 dime is a somewhat controversial variety, in that NGC no longer acknowledges it at all. There are some coin in NGC holders but when David Lange was hired, they changed their position on it. I'm not sure where PCGS currently stands on the variety.

Interestingly, the 1893/2 dime was originally popularized by my father, David (Lawrence). I believe it was around 1992 that Harry Laibstain bought an original roll of 1893 dimes over the counter and about half the coins were of a bold overdate type in the 3, that I have described. Harry offered to split the roll with my dad because he (as author of The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes) felt that he would be instrumental in convincing PCGS and NGC to recognize the variety. He succeeded with both services, as these coins truly had a dramatic overdate and most of those coins graded very high (MS64-66 as I recall). To this day, all the gems I have ever seen have come from this roll. I've seen a few AU's but the high grade coins all come from the same place.

When I was working with my client on building the Richmond Collection back in 1998, I was able to cross over the one and only known proof graded by NGC (Proof-61). We resold it later with the Richmond Collection but I don't see it on their census any longer.

I can't find a good closeup picture at the moment, but look at the cleaned AU coin and you can see the crossbar on the 3 pretty clearly. It has to be that good or it's not a real 1893/2 in my opinion.

John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Have either stated publicly or behind closed doors why this is not a variety anymore? It is still on the greysheet!!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a decent image of my PCGS AU 58:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Have either stated publicly or behind closed doors why this is not a variety anymore? It is still on the greysheet!! >>

I did have a conversation with David Lange about it years ago, and I think he simply did not agree that it was a major variety. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course.

I think PCGS will recognize the variety though I don't have any affirmative knowledge of that, or when they last graded one. Dominion Grading Service would recognize the variety, as I still believe that the "strong" bar in the lower loop of the 3 constitutes a major variety. Most importantly, the numismatic community has accepted the variety for decades now, and whenever I have had the opportunity to own one, it sold immediately.
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS lists a graded population of 28 coins
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why NGC doesn't recognize this variety. It is even in the Redbook and has been for some time. There is some confusion because the business strike looks like the picture DavidLawrence posted above, with a horizontal line through the bottom loop of the 3, while the proof variety (which is much rarer) has a diagonal line through the 3. Both coins were in the Richmond Sale Part 3. I was told (I think by NGC) the proof variety isn't slabbed because "it doesn't match the picture in The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes by David Lawrence. That book contains only one 1893/2 picture, the business strike variety. It seems obvious to me that with only one coin being pictured, two different die varieties couldn't be pictured.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

FYI:

There's a great 1893/2 PCGS MS 66 Dime being offered at Heritage next month.

Check it out.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't find a good closeup picture at the moment, but look at the cleaned AU coin and you can see the crossbar on the 3 pretty clearly. It has to be that good or it's not a real 1893/2 in my opinion. >>

I thought the 1893/2 dime DavidLawrence posted looked familiar. I own that coin!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    small world...
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    I just cherried this coin from a dealers junk silver barber box. Paid $1.75! It looks like the 3/2. Look at the attached pic and let me know what you think!!!

The coin is in about good condition but has a few deep dents infront of liberty's nose and maybe slightly bent.
  • Options
    tlt
  • Options
    anyone??
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just cherried this coin from a dealers junk silver barber box. Paid $1.75! It looks like the 3/2. Look at the attached pic and let me know what you think!!!

The coin is in about good condition but has a few deep dents infront of liberty's nose and maybe slightly bent. >>

Tony:

Where is the picture?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Check out JMW's set w/ varieties, he has another of my overdates;
    It is the nicest of the two I once owned. ( Both PCGS AU 58 ).
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a very nice AU58 in my set that has a pic. Use my link in sig line to see.
  • Options

DIMEMAN, your's is a perfect example of the 3/2 !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file