Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Proof? 1938 Washington

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, yes.

Even though the coin has obvious wear, it still exhibits very high relief.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and get that in a pcgs holder graded pr15 and that will definetlly sell for mad money for people looking to "upgrade" their wash proof registry set
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • That has unquestionably a B reverse and has to be a proof (mintage 8,045) or else it is the first business strike B ever discovered for that date. Either way I wished I had known about it. I would have raised that bid considerably. I would like an early sample of a B, just to demonstrate its long history.

edited to add two missing letters.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW !!! Intresting...
  • I just looked at again. How many proof coins come with railroad rims? I am wondering if the mint set it aside as as defective and then put it into circulation. I think I read somewhere that is what they did with leftover proofs in those days.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am not sure if I was the winner of the coin on eBay or if I got this in another auction

the obverse has the double layered edge on the right (railroad rim?)

and the detail looks like a normal circulated Washington to me

I am not sure what PCGS will call it - submitted raw Teletrade variety type B

there was no reflectivity in hidden areas that I would have expected on a circulated proof

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Defective proofs (but still good as coins) were commonly tossed into circulation by the mint. All were counted as coins in production figures.

Could just as likely be a proof someone spent.
  • <<Sunday July 15, 2007 12:17 AM ...

As compared to an "A" note that on the "B":

The ES separation in STATES is greater
    The top of the M of UNUM brackets IB of PLURIBUS just above it.
    The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them
    The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)
    The stem end is parallel to the T of Quarter rather than angleing upward
    The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect.

There are more differences, but I think I hit most of the major ones.>>

A type B quarter is the proof design reverse of 1937-1972 (with 1943-1949, 1965-1967 gaps). The table above is from the first "B" thread that I know of.

I think you can recognize most of the "B" pick up points in the picture of that 1938 coin.

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    there is no question that it has a type B reverse

the question becomes is it a proof or a circulation strike/coin

are there any obverse differences between the proof/circulation Washington silver quarters?

If a coin is struck once (with proof dies), had dies slightly mis-aligned and coin pulled from proof production and thrown in with
    circulation coins, is it still a proof?
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Proofs were stuck once, not twice.

But, they were struck using a medal press which imparts its own mechanical characteristics to the coin. The difficulty is determining if any of those markets can be found on this coin. (The detail in the photo suggest a medal press strike - it's only a "suggests.")
  • <<If a coin is struck once (with proof dies), had dies slightly mis-aligned and coin pulled from proof production and thrown in with
    circulation coins, is it still a proof?>>

Interesting question. However, along the lines that proof is a method of manufacture, and not a condition, I vote for "once a proof, always a proof".
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    This listing (130290542160) has been removed, or this item is not available.Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    Listings
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check the dates, its been months. of course it was removed
    may the fonz be with you...always...
    I think it's a circulation strike.

I'm not at all sure though.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    From the images provided by sinin1 that's a proof alright. I know there are no type B 1932 washingtons, so it has to be a proof.
    "It is what it is."
  • This thread is 9 months old, thats why no pics on ebay Boom.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
    << This thread is 9 months old, thats why no pics on ebay Boom. >>

Thanks! I mis-read. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file