Home Stamps Forum

Goodies from St. Louis Stamp Expo (Pics)

coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
Went down to the St. Louis Stamp Expo last Friday. Had a good day. I sold the two items I was trying to sell, at prices that made me happy, and picked up some nice material as well.

Business seemed to be sporadic, but then again it was a Friday. Certain booths were perpetually empty, whereas others were continuously mobbed.

A few of us joked that with the markets doing as poorly as they are, might as well put money in collectibles... actually that might not be a far stretch. image

I filled a couple of holes in my regular revenue collection, specifically several of the silk paper varieties. It's painfully obvious that the majority of dealers don't have the first clue what silk threads are. A splinter or piece of wood pulp in the paper, or something adhered to the back of the stamp does NOT constitute a silk paper!!! Easily 80%+ of the supposed silk papers I see in dealer stocks, in fact, are not. I won't even THINK about touching a silk paper on eBay unless it has a cert.

Here are the nicest cancels I picked up:

Westcott's Express

Pacific Mail Steamship Company

Densmore Oil Company

Isaac Harbor Gold Company (Nova Scotia)

American Express

American Express

Providence Tool Company

Lehigh Zinc Company

and the real eye-catchers (in my opinion):

Nice sharp strike; not sure of the company though.

Ashburton Coal Company. Revenue cancels in green ink are incredibly scarce.

Dunnell Manufacturing Company, Pawtcuket, Rhode Island.
Gorgeous presentation. It is perfectly centered on the part perf pair.

Oak Hall. Neat scroll cancel. I had a partial strike on another stamp, but
this is a wonderful presentation of the full cancel.

Comments

• Hi Coinpictures,Nice lot of Pics.im not sure if u found the info on C.F.ADAE.
    but frm quick look i did,i found these sites.the 1st is a link to buy a CD of old settlers.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~geneo.sales/vanderburgh.html & the next is in form of letters
    which might help.
    STATE OF OHIO, EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT.

COLUMBUS, April 15, 1868.

SIR:--I am requested to write you in relation to the va-

cancy in the consular office at Cincinnati, Ohio, occasioned by

the death of Mr. C. F. Adae.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/onlinedoc/hayes/chapterxxvii.html

this one isnt signed but the others are from R.B.HAYES.the CD looks like it could be of some info whether this one or others u might have. Thxs Peter