Home Stamps Forum
Options

APEX lowers expertizing fees

coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
Ken Lawrence just posted this on another board this afternoon. The announcement implies that the pricing is only good for March, but if there's anything you've been considering getting expertized, now may be a good opportunity. I have not yet been able to find corroborating information on the APS site.

With markets contracting due to current economic conditions, comparative bargains may be in the offing, both with respect to purchases and services...

"APEX LOWERS EXPERTIZING FEES

For March the American Philatelic Expertizing Service is lowering its fee to just $15 (plus postage) for authentication of U.S. stamps with a catalog value up to $250. The $10 discount brings expertization within reach of more collectors."

Comments

• Options
    It is in the APS member March newsletter (email). I took advantage of it last year when they did it and was very pleased.

Rolin
  • Options
    It's a shame that it only applies to U.S. stamps. image
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    For foreign stamps, I recommend Sismondo certs: http://www.sismondostamps.com/exp/expert.htm

A MUCH more reliable, and with more market appeal, than the APS certs.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Color me cynical, but I'm always wary of certs from "Bob's Stamp House", i.e., a collector/dealer person doing certs rather than a recognized 3rd party. Granted, most of the material I would be selling would be to U.S. collectors, where PSE, PF, and APS are the certs that everyone recognizes (and thus are more liquid). Perhaps in other countries Sismondo, Dienna, Weiss, et al. garner more weight and respect. At $30 and up per cert though, it's not a cheap proposition (although I suppose it's a nonissue for material most people would take the time to certify any way).
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    I would ALWAYS prefer an opinion from a single expert I trust rather than to pool the ignorance of groups. Sismondo is the only recognized expert for a broad range of foreign areas in the Northern Hemisphere. You should look at AIEP experts for more valuable items and the experts available.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Does this apply to covers also (the APS deal) or only US stamps (i.e. blocks singles etc)?
  • Options
    Last year I sent in two covers and was charged the lower price. The best thing to do is send APEX an email and ask them.

Rolin