Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Stolen PSA 10 card

I recently purchased a 1972 PSA 10 #98 Dick Anderson cert.#81933990 on ebay auction #110341440289. I received what appeared to be a opened and re-sealed mailer empty. Please keep this card in mind as there are only two of these and I'm offering 100.00 for information leading to it's recovery.
Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.

Comments

• Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Sorry to hear the bad news.

Just wondering? How did you pay for it? PayPal? Didn't the seller send it with Signature Confirmation since the price was over $250?

I noticed that the seller didn't offer insurance, but did you happen to ask for it to be insured?

PoppaJ

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

No Insurance?? Are you kidding me??
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you know....the auction says price covered in full by paypal.
    hopefully thats how you paid.

Not all usps employees are honest........I have had theft many times

I still can't get over how lousy sellers package items. Since I have taped the mailer closed at the ends and then run a wide strip right over the middle of the mailer.....making it much harder to open...have not had a single problem.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Yeah I know, I bought from this seller before and everything went smooth. He even left pos. feedback upon payment the last couple of times. I paid by usps money order this time, he didn't leave feedback, and all I got was some extra cardboard and bubble wrap (maybe to increase the weight?). I guess I'm to trusting, but never again.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider notifying PSA (Cosetta) of the situation. Perhaps she can flag the cert somehow and notify you if it turns up.

Surely you'll be contacting paypal and your cc company, assuming you paid via cc and not a checking account.

If memory serves, anything mailed via the USPS and is insured for a minimum of $200 requires the carrier to get a signature. That blue sticker may have precluded this unpleasant experience, for cheap $$. I think they are also required to "scan along" as the piece travels from hand to hand within the USPS organization. Could be wrong, but I think that's the way it works.

GL with getting to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Snake120_0 is a solid guy. I have bought and sold with him in and outside of ebay for over two years with no problems. Another friend of mine has well over five grand with him in the past 18 months. He does a lot of cosigning and the postal carriers know guys who sell a lot on ebay. Maybe just maybe there could be someone else involved and not the seller?

Local postal workers.
    Your neighbor who knows you collect cards.
    Hate to say it, but do you have older kids who are short on cash? I had a friend who stole cards from his Dad's collection when he was a teenager.

Good luck tracking this down. Hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    I'm not here on this thread to accuse Jerry or anybody else. I just want to ask for a few more eyes to be watching over the next couple of years in case this card pops up anywhere on the grid. I too have had a long "relationship" with Jerry and he is such a solid guy that he got caught cheating on the registry twice and got suspended in 2007. You can ask Cossetta about that. With this though, I can't make any accusations.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I assume you have a 1972 football registry set?

If so, add this card to your set. Then you will be alerted if anyone else tries to add it. Then find out from PSA who tried to add it.

I know PSA says you are supposed to have the card in your possession first, but in my opinion if you have paid for it, then you have clear title to it if you are able to provide proof of payment.
    Capecards
  • Options

<< <i>I assume you have a 1972 football registry set?

If so, add this card to your set. Then you will be alerted if anyone else tries to add it. Then find out from PSA who tried to add it.

I know PSA says you are supposed to have the card in your possession first, but in my opinion if you have paid for it, then you have clear title to it if you are able to provide proof of payment. >>

Good point. The only other set it would be in would Jerry's and it is retired.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I assume you have a 1972 football registry set?

I know PSA says you are supposed to have the card in your possession first, but in my opinion if you have paid for it, then you have clear title to it if you are able to provide proof of payment. >>

That's an excellent idea.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    There are 3 older women who work in my small local PO. Makes me happy cuz I doubt any of them collect! Plus, my delivery woman gets a helluva tip every Christmas so she takes good care of me!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    A few years back when Mark McGwire was chasing the single season HR .....I had sent in a $2K order inc a perfect psa "10" rc. I remember being in a shop and opened a few packs when the owner said "try for a mcGwire." I said no thanks there probably isn't one in there anyways. He said" they are not searched and I don't remember seeing a mcGwire come out of the box." H e then randomly picked put a pack and carefully opened it. well the most perfect McGwire was in his hand. I mean dead 50/50 centering t/b s/s and corners you could shave with. Well I bought the card for a cheap $100 and right into a card saver it went. touched only once.

Along with a 87 jordan and other primo vintage they were sent to psa. PO made me itemize the contents for the insurance I purchased. This was months before the record was broken. When mcgwire broke the record...if everyone remembers.....everyone wanted his RCthis card wold have been worth $5K or more. To cut this short...the PO employee stole the cards.

Despite an itemized list with value and a receipt for insurance.........the PO made me wait a long time for an "investigation" and then refused to pay. I had to pay a lawyer $400 to threaten to sue.......then I got my "book value" back and not the value of what the cards would have been worth.

My current PO deliveryman is fantastic and beyond question. He delivers my cards and knows whats there...and yet no problems lately...it was just the one PO from a town I rarely go 2. 95% of the PO employess are great...but look out for a very select few.....

The last claim I waited 1 1/2 years to get my $150 back. Yes, envelope was delivered empty and returned. When th PO has to pay they will try anything to avoid it. I think insurance for a service you are already paying for is nothing short of a rip off.

Things could be worse....ever try Fed EX?

Listing the 72 card on your registry would be smart.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I contacted the set registry police because I tried to add the card to my set and it came up as owned. Hope PSA already has it locked. I alerted them of this thread and if Paul has not contacted them they will contact you. Hope this all works out. Tough part is it could get cracked and resubbed as the second 10 and then all is lost.

I still have my hands in on the 1972 set so I will keep a close eye.
  • Options
    Yeah, I put it in my inventory. I don't think you can put a card in a set unless you have it in your possession even if it was stolen. I imagine I will never see it again, but hopefully it gets sold and re-sold to some poor guy who will try to list it.
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to see this. If I were you I'd be adding this card to my list of daily searched for items on ebay. Good luck in your search!
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Last year on 3 separate occasions, I had empty padded envelopes arrive at my PO with the card missing. After some investigation, my postmaster discovered that someone at the sorting facility was placing these packages through the letter sorter instead of the parcel sorter so the packages were ripped open. Since then I've had no problems. Luckily all packages were insured so I was reimbursed, but the cards never turned up. I assume you had your postmaster launch an investigation. If not you need to.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last year on 3 separate occasions, I had empty padded envelopes arrive at my PO with the card missing. After some investigation, my postmaster discovered that someone at the sorting facility was placing these packages through the letter sorter instead of the parcel sorter so the packages were ripped open. Since then I've had no problems. Luckily all packages were insured so I was reimbursed, but the cards never turned up. I assume you had your postmaster launch an investigation. If not you need to. >>

Wait a couple weeks. Postmasters are currently in a project and they don't have any time at all for stuff like that.
  • Options
    I know it has been awhile, anything happen here Paul?
  • Options
    Not yet. Looking at the way the mailer was sealed and packed, chances are nobody will ever see that card again. Thanks for asking.

Paul
  • Options
    I just saw this thread today. I didn't look it up but if this is a pop 2 card, I have the other one, although my set is not registered. I got mine on a sub last year. So if someone else actually has another Dick Anderson 10 in their registry, it has got to be yours.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Let me know if you ever want to trade or sell it !!!!!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick thought...if you have a VCP account, you could place that particular card in your "wants" list and you'd then be notified if it came up on eBay or some other auctions. The worst case of course is if it gets cracked out and resubmitted, thus it loses all its identity and you'd be hard pressed to prove it was your card. Surely you have the original cert # from the sale.

I trust at this point you've had a one on one conversation with Cosetta at CU, she's a pretty sharp lady and has provided me (and many others) with superb service. Could be that she could notify the grading area if the card ever came in raw, that they hold the incoming package...if the package has an address near where you live, could be more than a coincidence.

GL with your loss, huge disappointment I'm sure.

Al
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Also. my PO guy informed me that there have been theft problems out of their Denver facility, mostly iPods and such where it was obvious from the markings on the package what was inside. So he suggested that if you are shipping cards, do not indicate "Backdoor Baseball Cards" (company name) or anything like that on the package, as it alerts potential thieves in the PO system to what is inside.
  • Options
    I've got all the bases covered(jeez,did I just use a baseball analagy) as far as watching out for it. I know about all the PO stories but I still maintain it never made it inside that mailer. Poser Jerry and I have a special hatred for each other. Glad to see him leaving the registry and losing money selling his cards.