Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

i have this ebay auction and something is wrong with bidders...

bid is $114 for 2006 proof plat 1/4 oz mint packaging. it is obvious in the auction that no coin is included. second highest bidder sends me messege saying disregard my bid as it was made in error. this should sell for 20 bucks. should i question the high bidder now? your opinions welcomeimage
my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Comments

• Options
    Have you checked the literacy rate for the United States recently?

Edit Note: I viewed your auctions and you have that one listed fine. So again, see above... image
  • Options
    I'd question him, yes. $114 is insane.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    That's funny, Paul. I used to say "hewk't awhn fawnicKZ werk't fuhr meh!!!" So close! image
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Nice Box image
  • Options
    You really should notify the current high bidder and let them know what they are bidding on. Even though your auction clearly states no coin. This person is still a newb on ebay.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I would let it go ... literacy has nothing to do with it ... the picture is so big that a blind person can see there is no coin in this box . Or do they think the coin was out for polishing at the time of the photograph. image
  • Options

you can't ignore it cuz you know this can only end bad, very bad.

first of all, your auction is dead. Who is gonna bid on your boxes when you have bozos bidding hundreds of dollars? That's right, nobody. Auction over as soon as they bid.

you should contact ebay and let ebay know that those two moron bidders just ruined your auction and you want ebay to give you a freebie.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh? You're selling the box with no coin on ebay?

Sorry...I'm not into moderns much. Why would you sell an empty box (sounds like asking for trouble) and who in his right mind would bid on it (except those who can't read)? I'm missing something.
    Lance.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Huh? You're selling the box with no coin on ebay?

Sorry...I'm not into moderns much. Why would you sell an empty box (sounds like asking for trouble) and who in his right mind would bid on it (except those who can't read)? I'm missing something.
    Lance. >>

Put your fake coin in it and you will get high bids image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the bidders do not speak english?

Buying in another language can lead to trouble

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let it go... Just slip the coin in before you ship the box image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

Lance. >>

Many buyers of coins want the original box. If the seller doesn't have it they go find it somewhre. Thus there is a market for empty boxes. You are just uninformed. --Jerry
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    You need to promptly cancel the second bidders bid so that someone can bid against your top bidder or you'll end up with no sale. The top bidder may just be placing a nuclear bid to win but didn't expect an illiterate underbidder. --Jerry
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Many buyers of coins want the original box. If the seller doesn't have it they go find it somewhre. Thus there is a market for empty boxes. You are just uninformed. --Jerry >>

Oh, I see. Then I guess I'd just let the auction end and expect $114 or more.

Damn, and I have been recycling those Office Depot boxes.
    Lance.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image This is quite funny. But if you could somehow add in big bold print (possibly in 4 tongues) "NO COIN INCLUDED!", there might be a drop in bids and price. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd definitely send a message to the high bidder emphasizing there is NO COIN INCLUDED IN THIS AUCTION - JUST THE BOX!

Both of the people who bid high (and obviously thought that all those pics. of a [closed] blue box you posted meant that there was a coin inside it) have less that 50 feedback . The one experienced eBayer who bid first, apparently dropped out when bidding reached $2.00 or so.
    Your only other option to avoid post-auction hassles is to end the auction now.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

-Paul >>

I'm driving through Rat City (don't ask) 20 years ago and I see a sign on a new day care. 4 Da Kidz.
    We are reaping as we have sown.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    End the auction now and just sell it to the high bidder before he retracts his bid.image
    Hay maybe the box is rarer than you think.
  • Options
    i fixed the problem. i canceled the bid from the second highest bidder who said they bid in error. it dropped down to $1.25
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sofa king we todd did!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    that might not be insane at all,

i have seen 2008w buffalo boxes list for that, i think there nuts to try to get that ,BUT i have seen it listed.
  • Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of boxes from the 20th Anniversary ASE sets, do people buy these too?
  • Options
    I have a couple boxes from the Buffalo Dollar two coin set too! Are people buying these things too?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAN, THAT BOX IS RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME......................RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's alot of money for a box that's not even slabbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Wow, I can't believe I haven't been overwhelmed with offers for my empty boxes! Maybe I shouldn't have thrown the coins away....
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    yes mint packaging does sell on ebay. where u been?imagemint packaging
  • Options
    I guess I've been living under a rock! Seems silly to me, but I guess I'll have to get these boxes listed on Ebay!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I have been a buyer of original mint packaging before.

I like the 2008 Buffalo Proof packaging; beautiful wooden boxes. It clearly outclasses the Buffalo proof packaging that happened in 2006 and 2007.

So, for my two 1 ounce coins of the prior years, I purchased a one ounce box from 2008. The presentation is now much nicer for someone who likes mint packaging and doesn't put gold buffalos into slabs.

Be careful about calling certain aspects of coin collecting stupid. It's all stupid when you think about it.

• Options
    "Be careful about calling certain aspects of coin collecting stupid. It's all stupid when you think about it."

I guess you're right, seems pretty stupid when I think about paying $1600 for a penny! Well, okay, it was actually a Cent, but it certainly does seem stupid when I think about it.... Guess I'd better quit thinking about it :-)
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Ebay has a lot of odd bidders. 3 years back I sold off several 64 proof Kennedy's nice examples though not special everyone was listed with good images. They closed in the 15 - 25 buck range more then I thought they would. I was amazed though one closed at 66 bucks and he paid right away and left me glowing feedback it was a regular common as dirt no cameo not a premium example at all 64 Kennedy why did he not buy one of the other hundred listed for 10 - 20 bucks at any time.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    What no link the your auction; maybe I want to bid image

The only one I see linked in your sig line is selling for $1.25

Ok, I see the withdrawn bid on that one. At least they went back and read what they where bidding on after they bid, smoe don't even do that.

What do you expect in an era when there is no need for personal responsibility; the government will bail you out of all your mistakes, and make those who are error free pay for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file