Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916-S Walker, Question of Authenticity

I purchased this coin a couple of years ago because, at the time, I was interested in low mintage coins. I didn’t pay a lot for the coin and stuck it away in the safe. Going through the coins today I review this one again and didn’t remember it being so hammered.

In reading about counterfeit detection a few months ago I remember that cast counterfeit copies have granular surfaces. Does this coin appear to have the granular surface I read about? Do you believe it to be authentic? Are there opinions on the cause of the five vertical lines at 11:30, just to the left of the F on the obverse?

I’ve checked the edges appear solid and have smooth reeding and the weight is 12.45 grams (very close to the 12.50 specified in the Red Book).

Aggie

Aggie

Comments

• Options
    when they talk granular surfaces, they are meaning bumps that are raised above the field and devices that should not be present on a coin made by the US Mint

your coin looks fine, the digs and nicks are part of a rough life your coin must have had

it is also possibly a little corroded with the periodic pockets seen throughout
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a genuine baggy VF to me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a real 1916, but the area around the mintmark might or might not indicate that the S was added.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks genuine to me, just had a rough life! The granularity or porosity of fakes has a much finer grain to it, and is pretty uniform.
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Don't sweat that one..................Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    I appreciate ALL the comments and feedback, but I was hoping 21Walker would see the thread and provide an opinion. Thanks Rick

Aggie
    Aggie
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image">

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with all the other comments so far - it looks genuine to me, and the 'S' is Ok also.

PS - you will also see fine granular surfaces on all the 1916's, and a good number of the 1917 issues, graded XF and above. They were struck with a matte-like finish.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file