Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Horror story of trying to get rid of rare currency.

So I find 5 1896 $1 Educational Notes in my father's belongings after he passed away. I took them to the local bank, they would only give me $5 in new currency. Then I took them to the local grocery store, and they told me they would give me only $5 in bananas. Then I took them to the local Taco Bell, and they threatened to call the cops for passing out fake currency. So I took them to the local coin shop where they offered me $100 each. I accepted the offer and went on my way.

While eating at the Taco Bell across the street from the coin shop, I noticed 3 police squad cars pull up, with guns drawn as they entered the coin shop. After 5 minutes, the local coin dealer came out handcuffed and was placed in the squad car. Off they went to the police station. I finished my burrito and asked one of the bystanders what had happend. Apparently, a collector was in the shop when some kid about 19 walked in with 5 1896 $1 bills to sell. The collector called the cops and stated the dealer had robbed the kid of very, very valuable currency.

I guess I looked like a 19 year old kid.

TRUTH

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    And when do we get the rest of the story?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he only paid $100 each, he did rob you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    If he only paid $100 each, he did rob you.

Well, I sure was hungry and I was going to buy those grocery store bananas, but I thought I would shop my notes around first.

TRUTH
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    SO what are they worth?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SO what are they worth? >>

You jest of course, 1896 educational series set of notes 5K to 7K. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options

<< <i>So I find 5 1896 $1 Educational Notes in my father's belongings after he passed away. I took them to the local bank, they would only give me $5 in new currency. Then I took them to the local grocery store, and they told me they would give me only $5 in bananas. Then I took them to the local Taco Bell, and they threatened to call the cops for passing out fake currency. So I took them to the local coin shop where they offered me $100 each. I accepted the offer and went on my way.

While eating at the Taco Bell across the street from the coin shop, I noticed 3 police squad cars pull up, with guns drawn as they entered the coin shop. After 5 minutes, the local coin dealer came out handcuffed and was placed in the squad car. Off they went to the police station. I finished my burrito and asked one of the bystanders what had happend. Apparently, a collector was in the shop when some kid about 19 walked in with 5 1896 $1 bills to sell. The collector called the cops and stated the dealer had robbed the kid of very, very valuable currency.

TRUTH >>

If your name here was not truthteller, I might be inclined to think that this is only a story which is a gentle poke at another dealer-related thread.

merse

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine....I paid a little more than $100 though.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm equally surprised three cop cars in your city could get to the coin shop before you finished your burrito.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Here is the $2 and the $5. Just as is the case with our coinage designs...they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great looking educationals Pete.image
  • Options
    A very low grade $1 Ed is not worth much more than $100.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PipestonePete---I don't know much about paper money but those are nice looking notes. What are their grades?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    The $5 and $2 are graded VF by PCGS. The $1 is raw and would grade VF to VF+. It's not difficult to understand why this is perhaps the most sought after set in the entire realm of currency collecting...those designs are incredible. I especially like the winged characters in the upper corners of the reverse side of the $1...and in the upper-center reverse of the $5. They are easily overlooked due to the portraits.
  • Options
    Those are incredible. I don't collect currency but sure do enjoy looking at special ones like that. Thank you for posting them!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Take this to the Currency forum. I am tired of some breaking the damn rules here.

Now in the future if you have any other Currency for sale, Pm em, I am the master of all old notes and will pay you by next Tuesday Sir...image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you ever sell educational notes for 100$ each?
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Why would you ever sell educational notes for 100$ each? >>

Because he wasn't educated on the value.. DUH!!image

Hell Robert Chambers would of given him aleast $125.00 each for them.
  • Options
    Please stop posting pictures of currency. I may get hooked and start collecting that also. Those are beautiful notes. I love the $2 bill. Boy if only our notes were actually backed by something of value like they used to be rather than the debt of the US govt.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this day and age, if you cant look up what something is worth and figure at least a lowest value, then you ALMOST deserve to be ripped off.

I mean...c'mon truthteller!!! What are you doing?
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Here's a couple in higher grade. The $5 is considered by many to be the most beautiful bill ever produced in the US. Its racy theme got it replaced within 5 years, so relatively few exist.

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    In this day and age, if you cant look up what something is worth and figure at least a lowest value, then you ALMOST deserve to be ripped off.

Well, my computer broke, my green sheet subscription ran out, my ebay account was frozen, my reading glasses were lost, my numismatic books burned up in a fire...... and I was really, really hungry.

TRUTH
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In this day and age, if you cant look up what something is worth and figure at least a lowest value, then you ALMOST deserve to be ripped off.

Well, my computer broke, my green sheet subscription ran out, my ebay account was frozen, my reading glasses were lost, my numismatic books burned up in a fire...... and I was really, really hungry.

TRUTH >>

well hey.. whatever it takes to justify dealers acting like scum and
    ripping off the public... cannot be happy with a 100% profit.. nah.
    lets justify a 1000% profit.

thought i might as well get my two cents in.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Smell anything ??. Is it my halitosis blowing back in my face ???

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you finished the burrito, I hope you saved your napkins for numismatic purposes. (vainly trying to introduce coins into thread)
  • Options

<< <i>So I find 5 1896 $1 Educational Notes in my father's belongings after he passed away. I took them to the local bank, they would only give me $5 in new currency. Then I took them to the local grocery store, and they told me they would give me only $5 in bananas. Then I took them to the local Taco Bell, and they threatened to call the cops for passing out fake currency. So I took them to the local coin shop where they offered me $100 each. I accepted the offer and went on my way.

That is what the people ASSUMED the kids in my story did. Too many were quick to judge and say the kids stole the coins and should be locked up. The poor dealer had no idea he was buying coins at a fraction of their worth.

TRUTH >>

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are my favorite kinds of stories. They are wrought with mystery, suspense, drama and humor.
    Seldom will we find love scenes. image
  • Options
    Perhaps this one is somewhat more "coin related".....reverse-side first. If I only collected one series of currency it would be the silver certificates without a doubt. Every design (except the 1923 $1) is exceptional.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file