Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1830 Large cent attribution

raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
To all you large cent experts:
I am having difficulty attributing this coin. It is presently in a PCGS "Medium letters" holder (N-6). I think it may be an N-10.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let the real experts attribute the Newcomb variety; but I attribute to be a very nice example of this tougher date large cent!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    N-6 is the only medium letters variety of 1830.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Oh, that is nice!
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I just took out my Wright book and came up with N-10.

No High 0 in the date and no die cracks eliminates most varieties. That leaves 1,5,6, and 10.

No way it is an N-6- PLS and letter size are all wrong. Looks to be an N-10. But I am not a large cent expert...

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    N-6 is a small letter variety. That is not an N-6 reverse.
    N-10 has a recut O in "ONE," and "ONE CENT" is crooked. I don't see either of those on your coin.
    Check it with a loupe and tell us if you see the recut "O."
    I'm going with N-1.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    It looks like an N-1 to me--inner circle weak under 18 of date, E higher than T and S in STATES on reverse.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    The inner circle is very slightly weaker under "18", but otherwise complete. The "O" in one is not re-cut. I guess it is an N-1.

Is there a "medium letters" variety besides N-6 that PCGS recognizes? I thought all 1830s are large letters except N-6.
  • Options
    nice
  • Options
    N-6 is the only small letter variety.
    As far as medium letters go, I use the Noyes book, and he does not
    specify which are small, medium, or large letters varities for 1830.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Big Moose and rays - N1, all the other diagnostics in Noyes elimnate the others.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Newcomb 1. Best known for the broken inner circle under 18
    and recut BERT of LIBERTY.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous large cent! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file