Home Sports Talk
Options

Bucs getting Cassels!!!!!!!!!!

Tampa stations are reporting the deal is close.

JS

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'd really love to spoof this thread.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good for TB and good for Matt Cassel! TB should be a playoff team next year.
  • Options
    hmmm, boston.com (Boston Globe) has nothing about this, zip, nada, naught

You sure the TB media isn't talking about "white castles"?
  • Options
    I am hearing Cassel could be part of the Vrabel deal.....meaning he could be heading to KC.

Edit to add: Gotta love trade rumors.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    all that matters is that the Pats get another first round pick in the middle of the round and a later pick...so they can work on their defense!

Clearing the cap space would be nice too
  • Options

<< <i>Bucs getting Cassels!!!!!!!!!! >>

Perhaps by opening day of training camp you'll learn how to spell his name.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remeber the Tampa Bay system & coaching staff is a far cry from New Englands.

Meaning dont think he will win a Super Bowl for you guys anytime soon..

Sincerely,

Reality
  • Options
    May be a cruel rumor.

I'm hearing that it's a fake post on the Bucs message board.

Story supposedly comes from FOX 13 in Tampa yet nothing on their website.
  • Options
    If this happens it will probably cost Tampa this year's 1st round pick, #19 and next year's 2nd round.

Is it worth it?
  • Options

<< <i>If this happens it will probably cost Tampa this year's 1st round pick, #19 and next year's 2nd round.

Is it worth it? >>

I think so. The trade would be harder to do for the Chiefs because they have a top pick, but I would do it if I was KC also. Most teams will walk away from Draft day with a big IOU and a player that will not matter when all is said and done.

Then again, I approved of the Ditka-Williams deal....so perhaps I am not the one to comment.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    I think he winds up in KC with Pioli.
  • Options
    Look on the bright side.

If this doesn't happen Brad Johnson is available.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I don't care how to spell his name, I only care that he can throw the ball to OUR players and throw TD's in the red zone, I only care that he stays in
    the pocket and delivers strikes. I only care that he gives the play a chance to develop instead giving up on it 1 second after the snap and then
    running around like a chicken with its head lopped off!

Ever since I was a kid in orange pajamas, I dreamed of the Bucs being a team that could score at will...THIS might be the year! Where the heck is
    Matt with an update, he is probably at JC Penny right now looking for Bucs jerseys!

BAM

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A non-contending team giving up draft picks - that's a recipe for long term disaster. Appears as though Bucs management got even dumber than they were.

I'm sure glad I'm not a fan of that stinkin' team.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bucs blow, just like little Kevin with his tin horn...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wet dream?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Carolina now a possibility for Cassel according to foxsports.com.
  • Options
    Sorry to crap in your tuba, but this is just a rumor.

Tampa stations picked up on a blog from NE -

Cassel goes to Bucs, no wait the Chiefs, no the Panthers
  • Options
    Goes to the Chiefs.

Hey how about trading a one pick for Rex Grossman? Brooks Bollinger? Gus Frerotte? Shaun King is ready. Cordell Stewart? No, they should hold out for Jon Kitna! image

Cassel expected to be dealt to Chiefs

Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, New England Patriots

The Kansas City Chiefs appear to have found their starting quarterback. NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs are expected to trade for New England Patriots QB Matt Cassel on Saturday.

The teams have agreed on compensation, according to Schefter, but no details of the deal were immediately available.

Cassel was designated as the Patriots’ franchise player on Feb. 5, guaranteeing him $14.65 million next season. The signed tender was officially submitted to the league earlier this week.

Cassel saw the first significant action of his career last season, taking over as the starter for the injured Tom Brady in Week 2 and starting 15 games, completing 63.4 percent of his passes for 3,693 yards and 21 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.

Cassel would see some familiar faces in Kansas City. Schefter also reports Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel wasin Kansas City on Friday undergoing a physical so that he can then be traded to the Chiefs. Vrabel later confirmed the trade in an email to The Boston Globe. Cassel and Vrabel would be playing for new Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, who was hired in January to oversee the team’s football operations after nine seasons in New England.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Done Deal Cassell to Chiefs................

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor is both Pats for the #34 pick. Seems a little low, although you get great value at the top of the second round.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Rumor is both Pats for the #34 pick. Seems a little low, although you get great value at the top of the second round. >>

I hear that a third team could be involved, the Panthers.

Peppers.
  • Options
    Falcons got 2 second round picks for Schaub a year ago, so I hope you are right SoFLPhillyFan.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Just another premature exultation by Joestalin!!!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    A second rounder for Cassel and Vrabel seems EXTREMELY low, especially considering Sage Rosenfels was just traded for a 4th round pick, and the aforementioned Schaub trade.

I hope the Pats have something else up their sleeve - seemed like the talk the past few weeks was that it would definitely take a 1st rounder to get Cassel ALONE, never mind with Vrabel.
  • Options
    Guess it really is a 2nd round only. Interesting.

CASSEL TO CHIEFS IS A DONE DEAL
    Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:12 PM
    The Chiefs have formally announced the trade that will bring linebacker Mike Vrabel and quarterback Matt Cassel from New England to Kansas City.

The announcement confirms that both players were obtained in exchange for the Chiefs' second-round draft pick in 2009.

“I have a long history with both players,” G.M. Scott Pioli said in a release. “Mike and Matt are men that I respect both personally and professionally. I look forward to having them as new members of the Chiefs family.”

The Patriots also have issued a release announcing the deal. And coach Bill Belichick gushed about both players.

"When Mike arrived in 2001, we knew we were adding a solid outside linebacker,” Belichick said. “But where Mike took it from there exceeded our highest hopes. Mike Vrabel epitomizes everything a coach could seek in a professional football player: toughness, intelligence, playmaking, leadership, versatility, and consistency at the highest level. Behind the scenes, Mike's wit and personality is one of the things we have all enjoyed about coming to work every day.

"The toughest aspect of my job is the day I stop coaching people like Mike, who did everything in his power to contribute to team success. Of all the players I have coached in my career, there is nobody I enjoyed working with more than Mike In the same way people recognize guys like Troy Brown, we appreciate and thank Mike Vrabel. He is one of the very special Patriots champions."

Belichick also praised Cassel: "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career."

So, again, why did they give up both guys for only a second-round pick?
  • Options
    wow, NE got next to nothing. This must mean the Lions are committed to a QB at the #1 pick. Huge salary dump by NE...a big free agent signing coming?
  • Options
    Thank you New England for two solid players. Thank you JS for a laugh.
  • Options
    Bucs may try for KCs left overs.

Tyler Thigpen.
  • Options
    Another twist. If the Bucs want a Broncos QB they should just call Jake Plummer back.

REPORTS: BRONCOS ENTERTAINED TRADING CUTLER
    Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:22 PM
    Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver report that the Broncos have been shopping quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per both reports, the Bucs and Broncos were trying to swing a three-way deal pursuant to which Matt Cassel would have been traded from the Pats to the Broncos, Cutler would have gone from Denver to Tampa, and the Patriots would have been compensated presumably by the Buccaneers.

According to Schefter, the Lions also approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler.

And here's where it gets interesting. Schefter's version creates the impression that the Broncos didn't initiate the talks, and merely responded to the offers presented. Vic Lombardi's version suggests that the Broncos were and are shopping the eleventh overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told Vic Lombardi. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

Despite Cutler's generally P.C. comments, Schefter contends that Cutler was angered by the news.

There's a consensus in league circles that Cutler has plateaued after showing some improvement early in the 2008 season. He has been criticized in some circles for having a nonchalant demeanor.

The reality is that, whenever there's a new coach, there's a chance that he'll want to pick his own quarterback. Regardless of whether the Broncos initiated the trade talks, the fact that the Broncos said anything other than "hell no" suggests that new coach Josh McDaniels wants to go in a different direction.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I haven't used this picture in a while but it's so appropriate here.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    D'oh! would work too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thanks stown. Just saved pic to photobucket for future joestalin reference.
  • Options
    Patriots also picked up this Chiefs cheerleader in the deal.

Hey, they do say KC is a great place to get a steak!

Seriously, this chick showed up at the Patriots cheerleader tryouts today.

• Options
    <<< Bucs getting Cassels!!!!!!!!!! >>>

Somebody counted their chicken before it hatched.
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A second rounder for Cassel and Vrabel seems EXTREMELY low, especially considering Sage Rosenfels was just traded for a 4th round pick, and the aforementioned Schaub trade.

I hope the Pats have something else up their sleeve - seemed like the talk the past few weeks was that it would definitely take a 1st rounder to get Cassel ALONE, never mind with Vrabel. >>

Maybe Tony Gonzalez might factor into this deal as well...after all, he has been trying to get out of KC, and wants to go to a Super Bowl caliber team.
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    Patsies giving away any other players?

JS
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Patsies giving away any other players?

JS >>

image you funny comrade Stalin.

The Chiefs don't need Barbie doll Croyle anymore.
    He's really, really, good.........................................at getting his bones broken.
  • Options
    Maybe Chrissy Simms will be back, or Steve DeBerg...

Will the Bucs win even 5 games this season? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Simms wasn't Chuckies idea it was the Glazers, how many rings would Grud has given us if we would of had a real qb instead of Shaun King, Gradkowski, Simms,
    Griese.....

• Options
    Twenty years from now, Stalin will still be grieving over Gruden's departure.
  • Options
    Mort is reporting that the Pats turned down the three way trade that would have sent Cassel to Denver, Cutler to TB, and a first rounder to the Pats - either he doesn't want to help Denver or he likes the price point of a high second round talent better. Interesting.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

JS >>

LMAO, this is clearly a statement coming from a fellow who clearly doesnt understand the game of Football. Bottom line we didnt "Give" anyone away- we got rid of a player and got a value pick from the Chiefs, right from jump street its about money, sure we could have gotten a top 10 pick for Cassel but instead we use the money we would have needed for that top 10 pick to sign Vince Wilfork, who is a future HOF mind you. Now we are not cash strapped to use the rest of our cap money to sign other proven players.

Edit: Im an idiot, I used the YUCS instead of CHIEFS
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

JS >>

LMAO, this is clearly a statement coming from a fellow who clearly doesnt understand the game of Football. Bottom line we didnt "Give" anyone away- we got rid of a player and got a value pick from your YUCS, right from jump street its about money, sure we could have gotten a top 10 pick for Cassel but instead we use the money we would have needed for that top 10 pick to sign Vince Wilfork, who is a future HOF mind you. Now we are not cash strappeed to use the rest of our cap money to sign other proven players. It works out for both sides on paper but unlike the Pats you guys keep thinking that Cassels will lead you to the Super Bowl- good luck with that! LOL- NO WR's and a Defense falling apart at the seams! >>

Except, the Chiefs got Cassel.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

JS >>

LMAO, this is clearly a statement coming from a fellow who clearly doesnt understand the game of Football. Bottom line we didnt "Give" anyone away- we got rid of a player and got a value pick from your YUCS, right from jump street its about money, sure we could have gotten a top 10 pick for Cassel but instead we use the money we would have needed for that top 10 pick to sign Vince Wilfork, who is a future HOF mind you. Now we are not cash strappeed to use the rest of our cap money to sign other proven players. It works out for both sides on paper but unlike the Pats you guys keep thinking that Cassels will lead you to the Super Bowl- good luck with that! LOL- NO WR's and a Defense falling apart at the seams! >>

Except, the Chiefs got Cassel. >>

My bad-

But the point remains the same- we didnt "Give" anyone away! And his YUCS still have no WR's and their defense is falling apart at the seams.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

JS >>

Except, the Chiefs got Cassel. >>

My bad-

But the point remains the same- we didnt "Give" anyone away! And his YUCS still have no WR's and their defense is falling apart at the seams. >>

I think it is fair to say the Patriot gave away two solid players for very little. I do agree with you that it does look alright for the Pats however because of the salary cap. I guess that is why they didn't go for the Chiefs #5 overall....but I think it would still have been a good Chiefs deal even with parting with the top pick. Perhaps they should have went for the Chiefs #1 2010 pick?

Anyway as long as Belicheck (msp) is there....I have no question that they are playing smart ball....even when something like this doesn't exactly look even on paper.
  • Options
    Not to mention Vrabel has 10+ years of mileage on him and reports are that his shoulder might be an issue for him as well.

Hey if Im the Chiefs Im excited- no doubt about that however the lack of a solid O-Line + no WR's could spell trouble no matter how well Cassel did in NE.
  • Options
    Patsies gave away Casell and when Brady breaks down again this year, who you gonna call then?

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Patsies gave away Casell and when Brady breaks down again this year, who you gonna call then?

JS >>

Listen Bugle Boy, I went out of my way to educate you a few posts ago, if you refuse to listen then please move along and let the adults talk.
  • Options
    < Patsies gave away Casell and when Brady breaks down again this year, who you gonna call then?

JS >>

Listen Bugle Boy, I went out of my way to educate you a few posts ago, if you refuse to listen then please move along and let the adults talk.

It's been documented that excessive blowing of an instrument depletes the oxygen supply to the brain thereby causing the subject to spew nonsensical garbage, especially when it comes to sports...