Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1943 Australian Half Penny Doubled Die... (BIG IMAGE DISCLAIMER GOES HERE)

I know jack about Australian coins... and Numismaster doesn't list a variety.

I did find one guy's website who seems to have a similar coin as the one I just found, but there is no indication as to how common the variety is.

Pictures are forthecoming, but - does anyone know if this is a known variety. Where would such a beast be cataloged?

Comments

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Sorry I don't have any information about the variety. But I wanted to thank you for giving me something to look for the next time I break out the box of 1/2d's.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

<< <i>Sorry I don't have any information about the variety. But I wanted to thank you for giving me something to look for the next time I break out the box of 1/2d's. >>

My pleasure on the images.

Anyone know if there is an active Australia numismatic market? I'd think something like this would generate interest due to rarity, or generate information due to it's commonality.
  • Options
    There is a very active Australian Market especially for varieties.

My feeling is that it is MDD rather than double punching but since my knowledge is weak in this area I was waiting till I got a second opinion.

The catalogues are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to stating rarity, however 2 of them say this is rare.
  • Options
    Bumping in hopes of a little more info. Definitely not machine doubling.
  • Options
    It shows classic MDD signs, there is no evidence of die repunching.
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a DDO to me. There is seperation of the sherifs on the bottom of the R and top of the S. If it was mechanical doubling, that wouldn't be there.
    John
  • Options

<< <i>It shows classic MDD signs, there is no evidence of die repunching. >>

What classic MDD signs? Admittedly they aren't the best pictures I've ever taken, but, it isn't shelved, the serifs are split, notching is present... seems to me it shows classic signs of a true doubled die.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen several-it is a legit Class V (pivoted hub) doubled die and a nice one at that. As far as it being a master die doubled die I don't think it is-it's not as common as a master die dd would be. Can't say for sure, tho-it does seem to be easily available.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a DDO as well, but I will let the experts dedate this oneimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have always had a hard time conceptualizing the theory of DDO's and MDD's. What exactly is the difference? Please enlighten me, because I really want to know. -Dan