Home Sports Talk
Options

Mike Vrabel TRADED to the KC Chiefs

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
I didn't see that one coming. Wow. Boston.com is reporting it. One writer speculates it may be part of a larger deal that could involve Cassel too. Wow, Mike Vrabel, never would have thought that possible.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boston.com says with the move, the Patriots clear $4.3 million in cap space; whereas espn.com reports it is more like $3.3 million
  • Options
    Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 pm EST

Pats look to deal Vrabel to Chiefs
    By Jason Cole
    The New England Patriots are expected to trade linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday, according to a league source. Vrabel, who is heading into his 13th NFL season, is expected to be dealt for a low-round or conditional pick.

There had been talk within the Patriots organization of releasing Vrabel, who could be replaced in the lineup by restricted free agent Pierre Woods. However, new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli reportedly wants Vrabel to help anchor the Chiefs' new defense and didn't want to risk losing out on Vrabel in free agency.

The move could signal a forthcoming long-term deal with Woods, who was given a second-round tender by New England, according to a source. But Woods could also be pursued by some teams moving to the 3-4 defense - namely Green Bay. If another team signs Woods to a contract and the Patriots don't match, the team would have to compensate New England with a second-round pick.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shocked is the only word I can think of to describe this move.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shocked is the only word I can think of to describe this move. >>

bummed out is another one. Vrabel was my favorite Patriot.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<If another team signs Woods to a contract and the Patriots don't match, the team would have to compensate New England with a second-round pick.>>>

I think the Pats would be doing backflips if someone signed Woods, and they got a second round pick.

The Vrabel move makes sense...he is on the downside of his career...didn't make nearly as many plays last year as he did in 07....just like a lot of Pats veterans, Belichick wasn't afraid to cut the cord. I like the move.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    On a side note, if by chance a Chiefs fan is on these boards....aren't the Chiefs somewhat high on Thigpen? I know he had a good second half last year. Wouldn't seem like they'd be willing to give up what the Pats are looking for for Cassel.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked how Thigpen did. He was certainly a lot better than Barbie doll Brodie Croyle.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Shocked is the only word I can think of to describe this move. >>

bummed out is another one. Vrabel was my favorite Patriot. >>

Now that it has sunk in I can say I feel bummed out- he certainly wasnt my "Favorite" Patriot but come Playoff time he was Brady's favorite target at the goaline. I will miss him, great player & Patriot.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Patriot. I don't get the move. It sure had better be part of a bigger deal - I know the LB corps are getting old (heck the whole defense is getting old), but Vrabes was rock solid.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great Patriot. I don't get the move. It sure had better be part of a bigger deal - I know the LB corps are getting old (heck the whole defense is getting old), but Vrabes was rock solid. >>

+1. Hell yeah. Didn't see this one coming at all. Vrabel was a hell of a good player with at least two good years left in him. This sucks.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like bringing back Tully Banta-Cain.
    Mike
    Bosox1976