Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Giants sign Lincecum to $650K contract

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Tim Lincecum agreed to a $650,000, one-year contract with the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.

The 24-year-old Lincecum won the National League Cy Young Award in 2008, going 18-5 with a 2.62 ERA while striking out a major league-leading 265 batters in 227 innings.

He ranked third in the major leagues in ERA and winning percentage, and was second in the NL in ERA and victories.

Lincecum, who made his major league debut on May 6, 2007, is likely to be eligible for salary arbitration after the 2009 season.

Man... I guess I would have thought being a CY Young winner would bring more $$$ in today's day and age. If he puts up similar numbers again in 09' I'm sure he will get his.

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Sigh. I was hoping that they'd lock him up with a generous multiyear deal like the Red Sox did with Dustin Pedroia. This seems like cheapo dealing on the Giants part.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Does this guy have an agent? I am pretty sure I could have got him a million-five anyways.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are several dozen performance clauses in the deal though. I understand being leery of offering larger, long term deals to someone with what could be "beginner's luck," but barring any injury, this kid is for real and I think we all get that sense. He's like Greg Maddux with a fast ball.

Everyone knew it was going to be a short term, low dollar offer...and, in general that's disappointing, but in the end it makes me happy. I want to see the "Franchise" in a Braves uniform one of these days.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he can pitch many years for the Braves, they will treat him well and he can retire in a Braves jersey just like Smoltz will....
  • $650,000 ???????? He must have the worst agent in baseball.
  • wow. chump change. If I were him I would get the hell out of San Fran. they are going nowhere fast.
  • kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    I'm with digicat. The Giants sould have locked him up for a couple of years. I need to seem pitch while I can because he'll be gone soon. image

Joe
  • The Giants own him right now. When he is able to go through arbitration he will get his money.

Teams can sign player for the league min if they want, and usually throw the player a few extra as a thanks. (in this case he got an extra 250k).

Once he goes through arbitration (I believe after this year, possibly the next) you will see his salary go through the roof, just like Ryan Howard's did.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i am too lazy to research, but that sounds weirdly incorrect?!

if he only making $650k, that sucks, the league min. for basketball player is around $400k...

J
    RIP GURU

<< <i>i am too lazy to research, but that sounds weirdly incorrect?!

if he only making $650k, that sucks, the league min. for basketball player is around $400k...

J >>

I imagine, if the Giants have any intention in keeping Lincecum around as a true franchise player, they'll never go to arbitration, they'll just meet him with a solid 3 to 8 year deal at the end of the '09 season, within days of the World Series concluding. They're making him prove his chops one more year before they become too generous. Now, if they actually make it to arbitration next year, I'd imagine the Giants have no intention of keeping him around through his free agency in 2012.
    I suppose the Giants could have told Lincecum he wasn't getting an extra dime, and would have wait for arbitration, so this wasn't the worst they could have done. The 1 year "contract" was basically a gift. If Tim's happy with it, then more power to him. He recently signed a 2 year endorsement deal with Reebok (along side the Manning brothers), so he's not hard up for cash.

• GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    edit oops wrong post
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    LOL, nice mistake. image

and the way Lincecum continues to pitch this year, he shall soon become a multi-millionaire.
  • It's no different than what the Yankees did in the mid to late 90's. Jeter, Rivera and Posada had their contracts renewed year after year until it came time for arbitration/multiyear contracts. Giving Lincecum a 650K contract for a year saves them money for free agency. They could have easily just renewed Lincecums contract and there would be nothing he could do about it until the time comes for arbitration. He'll get his money, when he's eligible to.
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Funny thing... Zito makes $18,500,000 in 2009 and Lincecum makes 650k

I wish baseball was like football where contacts and players could just be cut if they begin to suck!
    That Zito contract is a pain.

They signed Zito as a free agent. They drafted Lincecum.

The last year on Zito's contract is 2013. Lincecum's eligible for free-agency in 2013.

Anyways, considering that this is only his 3rd year in the league, Lincecum has zero authority to demand anything until he's elegable for salary arbitration in 2011. His little raise was a pat on the back, because the Giants could have chose to give him nothing above what he was already making.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Yup 2013 will be the year he signs with the Yankees.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Seeing Lincecum in pinstripes would be cool, he would probably be better than CC.

<< <i>Yup 2013 will be the year he signs with the Yankees. >>

I think he goes to the Braves.
    The idea of Lincecum with another team makes me want to throw up. image

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The idea of Lincecum with another team makes me want to throw up. image >>

Its going to be a long 3 1/2 yearsimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    $650k for a 13 year old is a LOT of money! image
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I can say we would be happy to take him if "small market" San Fran can't afford him! image

<< <i>As a Dodger fan I can say we would be happy to take him if "small market" San Fran can't afford him! >>

The last time you took an SF ace, you broke him! (Schmidt)

• leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>That Zito contract is a pain.

They signed Zito as a free agent. They drafted Lincecum.

The last year on Zito's contract is 2013. Lincecum's eligible for free-agency in 2013.

Anyways, considering that this is only his 3rd year in the league, Lincecum has zero authority to demand anything until he's elegable for salary arbitration in 2011. His little raise was a pat on the back, because the Giants could have chose to give him nothing above what he was already making. >>

All the more reason they should show one of the best pitchers in baseball more love right now!
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    The last time you took an SF ace, you broke him! (Schmidt)

Schmidt has been pitching ok the last couple weeks actually since coming back from injury. However, you are right that the Schmidt signing didn't work out so well. Not as well as when LONG time Giant, Brett Butler, came to LA! image

I think if Lincecum or Cain became a Dodger a few Giant's fans might jump off the top of the stadium! You got a couple of good ones there for sure.

See...the thing with Schimdt and Butler is that they started with Atlanta...I'm hoping a Lincecum deal can be reached the other way around. He's the kind of Ace Atlanta is accustomed to.
  • is there a way to fake Zito's death,collect on the insurance money and then pay Lincecum what he is truly worth? And maybe spread some around to Cain as well.
  • I see Lincecum going back home and signing with the Mariners when his Giants days are over. By then Seattle should be in pretty good shape after a few years of rebuilding under Dr. Z.