Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Action Comics No. 1 Graded CGC 6.0 Up For Auction

CNN.com is reporting that a copy of Action Comics No. 1 is going up on the auction block. This article here says the auction will start at $1.00 (nice) and is being auctioned off by ComicConnect. It's a rough economy, but I could still see that comic going for over $500,000.00.

/s/ JackWESQ

Direct Auction Link w/ Image of Comic (Is that handwriting next to the "A" in Action?)

Comments

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Is that the highest graded copy known?
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia says "There are five known CGC Graded copies with a grade above VG (CGC 4.0), with a single issue having the best grade of VF+ (CGC 8.5). There are at least two known uncertified copies in higher grade, including the famous Edgar Church/Mile High copy."

But the CGC 8.5 is a RESTORED copy, to wit:

2008 Auction for Action Comics No. 1 CGC 8.5 Restored

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Wow, I'd love to have that comic.

Very cool.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been a comic guy since I was 12, but comic grading is weird to me. At least with card grading you can see the whole card. When you grade a comic it's never to be read again...PLUS, what's the deal with "restored" grades. Wouldn't it be dumb if PSA allowed "restored PSA 10's". Just seems like the whole rarity of the book being in original mint condition is lessened if it's restored.
  • Options
    There's a Blue Label Universal CGC 8.5 Action Comic in the census as well..... I think there is also a new CGC 6.5 that just popped up recently.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    They pop up on eBay all the time...
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Really, these are common on eBay?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Well comics are different than cards. People restore photos and paintings all the time and if they are rare they still bring big dollars. Obviously unrestored is better but in that industry it is accepted so most of the time nobody tries to hide it to the extent they do in cards. I am sure cover replacing, staple replacement and bleaching are easy to spot.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    It will bring strong money in that grade. If my grandma hadn't sent all my mom's comics to the dump when they moved, I'd have inherited quite a collection!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $317,200
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I guess it is a rough economy. Action Comics #1 CGC 6.0 sold for $317,200.00. I estimated over $500,000.00.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    yep even the rich and affluent are clutching their money a little tighter these days. Guess they lost too much in their AIG shares or their buddy madoff...