Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I own three foreign coins housed in the new NGC holders...

and I feel strongly that each one is undergraded by at least one point.

Anyone else feel that the current NGC grading on foreign coins is very tight?

Comments

• Options
    NGC is all over the place imo although I must add that I have not had any coins slabbed lately so maybe their standards did become tighter since their reputation may have been affecting business.
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    One way to find out for sure is to submit them to PCGS for crossover.image
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Yup, undergraded a tad....

What makes it doubly worse for me, is I hate the New NGC Holder.
  • Options

<< <i>What makes it doubly worse for me, is I hate the New NGC Holder. >>

That tabbed thing? I don't like it a bit, and can't see myself buying one. I love photographing my coins, and there is just no good way to do it around those tabs.

I wonder how long they'll keep that slab as your only option?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I think I will go PCGS at the Baltimore show with a few of my submissions as I do NOT like these new NGC holders either.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I've seen coins that look ok in the new holder, and I've seen coins that look horrendous in the new holder.

If done well, the prongs can be unobtrusive. However, the quality control at NGC is so effing craptacular
    that you never know what you're going to end up with as far as the presentation. It's a crapshoot...
    and most people probably aren't willing to gamble on the presentation of their prized pieces.

NGC just doesn't "get it". And thus they'll get less of the discerning collector's money. One would think
    that in a downward economy, with a competitive market for their services, that NGC would not willingly
    drive customers away, but that seems to be exactly what they are doing.

But until enough people send coins back saying "you effed up putting my coin in the holder; redo it and
    I ain't payin'!", NGC has carte blanche to proceed with this numismatic atrocity.

This one isn't so bad, given the coin is smaller than a U.S. half dime:

This one on the other hand...

Would YOU want your coin looking like that???
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

While I like and respect Ron's dedication to world coins and his eye for quality, I wish he could be more involved with the grading. Until someone of his credientals acts as a finalizer, NGC will continue to see a virtual monopoly on grading rare world coins. The issues they have had in the past of returning rare coins because they could not identify them, only feeds them to NGC and further increases the gulf between the two companies in how the market views them. I think there are some things that PCGS does better, like grading copper/bronze, while in other areas like identification of patterns, rarities and one-offs, NGC seems to hold the title. Of course these are just a couple examples, a discussion can be had based on every coin type and series that could go on for pages.

As far as the new slabs are concerned, I'd give them a B-. I was told by them that it was in response to world coin dealers and collectors, especially overseas, in responding to the need to see the "third side" of the coin, which US collectors give much less thought to. The reason for my grade of B- would be in that they need to re-design it slightly, using the clear prongs that simply hold the coin, like their sister company NCS uses. Until that happens, you'll see some that look seated properly and great, and some that look like white thumbs covering the coin.

It will be interesting to see in the coming years if PCGS can get closer to NGC's near monopoly in regards to grading rare world coins; i think having both services is a value to the collector as competition should force each to strive for new ideas.

(edit: spelling)

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Among the coins I collect, NGC has been maddeningly inconsistent, and I can't stand the new holders. PCGS is more consistent, but consistently tighter. If I were selling, I'd submit to NGC. If I'm keeping, they go to PCGS.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not own one of the new NGC holders, but I am sure my turn is coming. image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    The good side to this is,

My PCGS Collector's Club membership arrived today.

I have a 1793 Wreath that needs the PCGS Genuine holder,,
    we'll see if I switch to sending World Coins to PCGS...I just might.

I really DO hate that tabbed NGC holder.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and I feel strongly that each one is undergraded by at least one point.

Anyone else feel that the current NGC grading on foreign coins is very tight? >>

I have seen many and have the same feeling..some even more than that. NGC have been brutal lately. This also is an opportunity to get some nice for the grade coins at attractive prices. image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I happen to like the new holders!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm