Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Collecting old fakes

I recently switched my collecting focus to "old fakes" for their historical values. Old fakes collection is usually a collector's dust and very few people get into it. So there is bigger chance that I can do something unique. Now the question is where to find old fakes? I have been trying eBay but found it really difficult to get real "old fakes" there. I bought 48 items in the past two months, assuming them old fakes, and they turned out to be modern fakes. Only one of 48 is a real "old fake" silver coin.

If possible, can you guys suggest a resource or place where I can go and find old fakes myself? Thanks

Dollar

Comments

• Options
    Definitely a question for Roman. Contemporary counterfeits is a difficult stream to collect, but there are resources out there. Seems to me that many of the contemporary fakes can be far more difficult to find than their authentic counterpart, and can also exceed their price range.

I also recall talking with a guy who posts on another forum - haven't seen him around in quite a while, but if I recall, his typical forum name is Swamperbob. He had quite a collection of counterfeits, and was about as nice a guy as I ever met.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I have two really nice counterfeit 8 reales that circulated back in the day. I'll post some pics of them when I get a chance to image them. May be for sale if you are interested...
    Todd
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Go to B&M shops. They come across them all of the time. There is one shop that I know which has a lot of counterfeit US. -Dan