Home Sports Talk

Bucs release Brooks, Dunn, Galloway, others

Tampa Bay Buccaneers release Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, Joey Galloway and others

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer

Published Wednesday, February 25, 2009

By RICK STROUD

Times Staff Writer

The rebuilding project has begun in Tampa Bay.

The Bucs sent shockwaves through One Buc Place Wednesday by releasing 11-time Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Brooks as part of a sweeping youth movement.

The team also released running back Warrick Dunn, receiver Joey Galloway, linebacker Cato June and receiver Ike Hilliard.

"We want to give our younger guys a chance to play,'' general manager Mark Dominik said Wednesday.

Three of the four released players are in their 30s. June is 29.

"No knocking these men,'' head coach Raheem Morris said during a 20-minute news conference this afternoon at One Buc Place. "We're looking for men like them to carry us into a new decade.''

Since coming to the Bucs as a first-round pick in 1995, Brooks has been the Bucs' biggest team leader, a future Hall of Fame player and community icon. Both Brooks and Dunn have won the Walter Payton Man of the Year award for their off-field charitable endeavors.

Brooks, a surefire Hall-of-Fame selection, was named to the Pro Bowl for the 11th time following the 2008 season. But he had taken a reduced role the past two seasons, coming off the field on passing downs. He also restructured his contract two years ago, trimming his inflated salary-cap to around $3-million per year. For that reason, his release is more about a move toward younger players than finances.

For some of the other players, finances were at least a consideration. Galloway's cap number was $3.5-million for 2009. Dunn's and June's cap numbers also were more than $3-million. Collectively, the moves will clear millions more in salary-cap space as the Bucs enter the start of the free-agent signing period, beginning at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

"This was not a money issue, this was not an age issue, a youth movement, it was a direction change,'' Morris said. "It's where we're going.''

Releasing this group of players and the results that ensue will define Morris' and Dominik's tenures in Tampa Bay. Whether it works or fails, they will go down as the duo that dramatically changed the team's course.

"We thank Joey, Ike and Cato for their contributions to this franchise over the last several years,'' Dominik said. "They were crucial to our success and we appreciate all of their hard work."

Said Morris, "All of these guys are very special in our hearts and within our organization. I would like to thank them for their dedication and commitment to our franchise over the years."

All five players were called in to One Buc today. At least one (Brooks) met face-to-face with owner Brian Glazer. In the team's view, they are cutting their Nos. 3 and 4 receivers, an aging running back, one linebacker (June) who they didn't see a role for in the new defense, and another (Brooks) whose time had come.

"They all handled it with the class and professionalism that you'd expect from these guys,'' Dominik said.

Dominik said the Brooks conversation was especially tough.

"It was very emotional for me,'' he said. "We have both been here 14 years. I think we walked into the building on the same day. I've seen every one of Derrick Brooks' games with the Buccaneers. We all knew that this day would come. We just felt that this was the time for us."

Said Morris, "There is no way to adequately thank Derrick Brooks for his years of dedication and service to this team and community, or for his impact on me personally. He is a once in a lifetime kind of player and man, and I am very fortunate to have had the chance to work with him and learn from him. Those who played with him and coached him are better because of it."

Dominik said the Bucs won't necessarily look for a new linebacker in free agency. He said he expects to see younger players such as Geno Hayes, Quincy Black and Adam Heyward get on the field.

Dominik said the Bucs are not characterizing this as rebuilding, because they still think they have some key pieces in place, particularly along the offensive line.

Linebacker Barrett Ruud apparently is one of the players to whom the Bucs will look to help fill the leadership void.

"It's a changing of the guard, so to speak,'' Morris said. "The Barrett Ruuds of the world, some of those guys, have to step into bigger roles.''

Asked what he would say to fans doubtful of the team's direction, Morris said, ''Fans should doubt. That's why they call them fans. We have to make them believe. That's our job.''

''I am thankful for my Tampa Bay Buccaneer experience -- in its entirety,'' Dunn said. "It all started here, and now in my second term I know I have been blessed to be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer in the NFL. I am thankful for the ownership, coaching, every teammate and especially the fans who have been with me through the highs and lows. It all adds up to an experience I often call 'Living the dream.' From here, I don't know what the future holds, but wherever it goes I go with a full and grateful heart.''

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they're trying to be as good as Detroit.
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Detriot will have some competition next year.
  • I'm bummed about dropping Dunn and Brooks, but I'm quite happy with the new emphasis on youth. We'll win 5 games, maximum, next year....
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    what a waste, they have no idea what they are doing do they?
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Brooks has lost a step or two but can still play. He's the best player to ever wear a Bucs uniform and no doubt will end up in Canton. I just hate to see him leave this way.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some really classy guys getting cut. Definitely a void in the locker room, probably a void on the field (for all but Galloway).
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I hope Dunn finds a position elsewhere. If not, he's had an awesome career that some said should have never been.

/s/ JackWESQ
    You don't treat your best players like this. Brooks wasn't making a whole lot of money and in the past has taken pay cuts in order to help the team out.
    Alstott had injury problems and the Bucs let him retire on his own, cutting Brooks just shows how little upper managment cares about their players.

As far as getting young, it was a gutsy group of vets that won a championship in 2002. That will be the Tampa Bay Bucs I remember..I only wished that
    Warrick was part of that team.

The team gave up the last part of the season and now it appears ownership is giving up.....maybe I'll finally be able to get into a Bucs home game this year!

BAD

JS
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't treat your best players like this. Brooks wasn't making a whole lot of money and in the past has taken pay cuts in order to help the team out.
    Alstott had injury problems and the Bucs let him retire on his own, cutting Brooks just shows how little upper managment cares about their players.

As far as getting young, it was a gutsy group of vets that won a championship in 2002. That will be the Tampa Bay Bucs I remember..I only wished that
    Warrick was part of that team.

The team gave up the last part of the season and now it appears ownership is giving up.....maybe I'll finally be able to get into a Bucs home game this year!

BAD

JS

Sounds like the ultimate bandwagon fan is ready to JUMP SHIP on his beloved Bucs!! I hear you can buy a Terrible Towel on ebay with free shipping, LMAO!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might the Bucs not even win a preseason game? LOL
  • I guess that means they are "rebuilding." Which is code in sports for don't expect the playoffs soon.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    63 mil in cap room would suggest the opposite..sure we might get some stars, but that isn't the way you treat the people who made you great. Brooks
    was the heart of a defense that dominated for a decade and Gruden won a ring with garbage.

The Glazers suck, sell the team and go play soccer!

JS