Home Sports Talk
Options

RJ's thoughts on upcoming MLB season

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
With games starting today, Richard "The Media" Justice made the following predictions.

<< <i>• I will not write these boys off early. I did it in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2008. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. The Astros start slow and finish fast. That's what they do. Please remind me of this on June 1 when they're eight games below .500.

• Cecil Cooper will do a terrific job. By the end of this season, he'll have the support of fans, reporters, players and his front office. He'll get an extension for 2010 and a nice fat raise. He was a rookie manager when he took over for Phil Garner in 2007 and had some learning to do. He has learned. He's remarkably relaxed and confident this spring. That confidence will play well in the clubhouse. He unveiled his team motto on Tuesday: Our Team. Our Time. Pretty good, huh?

• Russ Ortiz will be the No. 2 starter by mid-season. He's healthy for the first time in years and throwing the ball free and easy. He's a proven winner. His signing is going to be one of the smarter ones Ed Wade has made.

• Mike Hampton will win more games than Randy Wolf.

• Felipe Paulino will throw a 100-mph pitch this season. In the major leagues.

• J.R. Towles is going to be entrenched as the starting catcher by Sept. 1. He may have to start the season in the minor leagues. That's not important. There's no reason he can't succeed. He's a first-rate catcher and on his way to getting his offensive issues figured out.

• The Astros will have one of the National League's three best bullpens. They've got depth, balance, a mixture of youth and experience. And they've got a great closer. They'd better enjoy that great closer. Jose Valverde seems certain to test the free-agent market after the season.

• Hunter Pence is going to keep getting better. He's big, strong and fast. He's also driven to succeed. He will.

• Bud Norris, Brad James, Chris Johnson, Tommy Manzella and Brian Bogusevic will be pushing for spots on the big-league team by the second half of the season.

• Kaz Matsui will spend time on the disabled list, but it won't matter. Drew Sutton will fill in nicely.

• Roy Oswalt will win his first Cy Young Award. Lance Berkman will be the National League MVP.

• Darin Erstad, David Newhan and Jason Michael will again be invaluable off the bench.

• Lou Palmisano will be Ed Wade's latest shrewd move from the Rule V draft, joining Wesley Wright and Shane Victorino on an impressive list.

• Tim Byrdak will be recognized as one of the most amazing stories in all of big league hardball.

• Lance Berkman and I will make a joint appearance on Pardon the Interruption. It will be studied for years for its wit, intelligence, insight and content. >>

image 100%

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be very cool if much of that came true. Would be nice to see the Astros competing again. Most Red Sox fans have great memories of Cecil Cooper and wish him nothing but the best. Don't tell one unnamed Red Sox fan that Cooper got traded, it'd kill him. image
  • Options
    ...and Bagwell and Biggio will come out of retirement to put them over the top.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't tell one unnamed Red Sox fan that Cooper got traded, it'd kill him. image >>

He didn't get traded; only moved to another location for equal/comparable compensation.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts