Home Sports Talk
Options

Lou Piniella says spring training is too long this year

MESA, Ariz. — Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella stares at the spring training schedule, shakes his head in disbelief and wonders if it will ever end.
Exhibition play in Florida and Arizona commences today, including the Cubs taking on the Los Angeles Dodgers in the first of their record 39-game spring slate.

"It's too much," Piniella says. "I never started games before on Feb. 25. And we'll be playing spring games until April."

They Cubs are like many teams, scheduled to play seven more spring games than last year as a result of the World Baseball Classic adding a week to spring training. The regular season doesn't start until April 6 for most clubs, compared to March 31 last year.

"Spring training was already too long," Cubs right-hander Ryan Dempster says. "The days of guys showing up fat and out of shape are over. You just don't need seven weeks."

The lengthy spring is likely to leave most players bored, Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee predicts, but it could assist teams like the Dodgers who are still negotiating a contract with free agent slugger Manny Ramirez.

The key, players and coaches on teams such as the San Francisco Giants say, is for players to realize they have plenty of time to get ready. There is no need to be in the clubhouse at the crack of dawn, and there will be plenty of time for extra hitting.

"Some guys like (pitcher) Bronson Arroyo say they like the spring so they can feel good by the time the season starts," Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker says. "But other guys find it so quick, they may get stale."

Says Piniella: "I just know it's too long. I'm going to get tired of the margaritas this spring."

Comments