Home Sports Talk

Don't expect much out of the Netherlands in the WBC (Sidney Ponson sighting!)

"My" USF Bulls played an exhibition game over in Tampa tonight against the Netherlands National Baseball team, the same team that will have to play the Dominican Republic in roughly one week. Sidney Ponson's fat-behind surrended 3 runs in the first inning and the Netherlands had to rally in the 8th innning to make the game end in a Tie, 4-4 (it's an exhibition, so no extras). In other news, Randall Simon (yes, the guy that attacked the bratwurst, or whatever it was) had a couple hits for the Netherlands too.

Just for reference, USF is projected to finish 2nd in the Big East in Baseball this year and is currently receiving votes in the top 30 polls......Good luck against the DR! LOL!

P.S.- They even had USF play with WOOD bats, as opposed to the aluminum that they're used to, yet they still had no problem hammering Ponson.

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The Red Light District is still amazing!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    they must have a great buffett for the fat one to show up

hey goot where are the pictures?? and spring training
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• << <i>

hey goot where are the pictures?? and spring training >>

I wasn't at the game tonight. My brother-in-law was my on-scene reporter.

As for Spring Training...... I've been a little busier this year, plus the Dodgers moved out so the next closest team besides the Nationals is now about 1 1/2 hours away. I've only been to ONE Nationals practice, forgot the camera, and the Spring season starts tomorrow image To be honest, it's just been life in general that, for some reason, has this years Spring schedule MUCH more limited. Last week for instance I surfed during their Saturday workouts and Sunday went to the Florida Tech Baseball game with my dad instead.... I'm doin the stuff I won't really be able to enjoy as much in the coming years, I guess?

I still plan on driving over to the stadium after Nationals weekday games to try and nab some autographs, and I'll still probably get to a game per weekend.
  • More Ponson related news from tonights game....

<< <i>After sitting the Netherlands down in order in the top of the first, the Bulls collected three runs on three hits off of current free agent and former Yankee and Oriole Sidney Ponson.

"It doesn’t matter who you play against, when you step in between these two white lines, you have to be able to play," said Ponson. "These guys are pretty good. They have good fundamentals. This program is going to be very good for this school."

The Bulls collected a pair of hits in the second, but were held scoreless in the half inning. Ponson left the game after two frames, giving up three runs on five hits and striking out three. >>

• USF > Dominican Republic

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the Netherlands could beat the Phillies right about now..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Did Johann Cruyff and Marco Van Basten play for the Dutch yesterday ?
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Awesome game last night against the Dominican Rebublic last night. I was rooting for them but I thought the DR would pull out a W. Nothing like seeing a bunch of regular players beat a team full of MLB players.

Brian
  • Soooooo embarassing for the DR. What a joke! I love it!image
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Can the Nederlands do it tonight?